Why become a member? ×

Advice Needed

ClassicVibes

I need some advice from the BC congregation. 

I purchased a brand new bass that arrived yesterday and everything seemed peachy.

Plugged it in and had the dreaded buzz from lack of shielding with also popping when touching the strings.

Now this isn't a cheap bass - it is a Music Man Cutlass, the passive P style.

Do I keep the bass and try to shield it myself or return it stating it isn't properly shielded and really should be for a bass of that amount.

Thanks in advance. 

Now I’m sure there are others on here who are far more knowledgable than me on these matters, but isn’t popping when you touch the strings due to a lack of earthing rather than just shielding?  It does sound like the seller hasn’t done any basic checks before sending out and the QC at Musicman is very suspect. How very disappointing for you, if you keep it I think you’ll always be looking for faults and never satisfied with it.  If it can really be solved by shielding and your competent to do it, get in touch with the store and ask for a massive partial refund to make up for their incompetence and your inconvenience. There is something in law requiring goods to be of “ merchantable “ quality and this bass sounds like it wasn’t. If the shop won’t cooperate threaten them with Trading Standards.

14 minutes ago, Grahambythesea said:

get in touch with the store and ask for a massive partial refund to make up for their incompetence and your inconvenience. There is something in law requiring goods to be of “ merchantable “ quality and this bass sounds like it wasn’t. If the shop won’t cooperate threaten them with Trading Standards.

You can certainly ask for a reduction - but you aren't legally entitled to one.  You can (of course) return the bass for a full refund including the basic outbound postage cost.

Buying blind or not bass should be tip top unless stated.

If it says there is a noise/shielding /grounding issue and you bought knowing this - I would say there is no comeback.

If it says full working order, no issues-then it hasn’t been bought/sold correctly.

That being said, things can move in transit.

I would contact the seller, lay out the situation And if you think it can be solved locally to you agree a compensation, but be wary, once work has been done the seller could say they don’t want it back as it’s been altered unless this is prior agreed.

You could send back, get the seller to address the issues and them receive the bass back

Or refund

Just to clarify -

This was bought from a shop, brand new, sent straight from the Music Man factory and checked over once it reached the UK. I am the first person to play this bass bar the guys testing it to make sure it works.

I have tried different amps, leads, plug sockets, kettle leads, rooms and it still has the buzzing. I have a passive Jazz which never buzzes so I know it's the bass.

I have contacted the shop asking if they cannot sort the issue then I will be returning for a refund. 

Didn't think anything was checked anymore when bought online? The last two guitars I've bought online a Fender and an Ibanez, from two different suppliers, were in factory packaging that had clearly never been touched since leaving the factories.

Sounds like it could be as simple as a loose bridge earth wire. Of course if you open it up and try and resolve, you run the risk of voiding the warranty.

I'd be sending it back just to be on the safe side.