Why become a member? ×

NBD: My Ibanez EHB range starts!

Woodinblack

29 minutes ago, Kev said:

Doesn't really matter how long the nut is though, the strings are still spaced out over 45mm at the nut, so it will have the same spacing as a 45mm nut.

Agreed. Up to the point where you break the nut, go to a shop for a new one for a 45mm neck and find it doesn't fit! :D

38 minutes ago, Jellyfish said:

That's gorgeous. I'm sort of gutted that they didn't use the SR bodyshape but it does look slightly more ergonomic from a distance. It's also interesting to see that they went for a wider string spacing - guessing that's a limitation of headless basses?

It is pretty ergonomic. I think at the moment it is better sat down (it is the best bass sat down) than standing up, not that I have done much of the latter since i got it.

I don't think it is necessarly required to have a wider neck because of the headless thing, I think it is just the start of a different range. The BTB range has got a wider string spacing than the SR (and this), as well as a long neck. Same reason it doesn't look like an SR, the SR range is many decades old now and they just wanted a more modern thing I think.

On 13/05/2020 at 18:34, Woodinblack said:

I really don't like the locking jack. i have never got the point of locking jacks, I have never liked one, and this one is fairly stiff. I can't take the jack socket out with one hand, which means I need to lay the bass over, giving the chance to bash the head. Luckily there is no headstock! What are they thinking there! I think at some point it will annoy me enough to get rid of the locking mechanism.

I installed a new jack on mine. Got it from https://www.cliffuk.co.uk/products/xrp/index.htm

I got a plastic plate first. I later got the metal one. I had to drill that one. Installed a switchcraft jack.981104117_ehbjack.thumb.jpg.844246b0f8945b6450196eba8d587195.jpg

CP30300MB-M3Blarge.jpg

Edited by maxoges
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Yeh - I wondered. That screw that holds the string holder goes straight through the join on that wood. But I have done a big search and can't find any other people talking about it happening, so I am guessing it is just bad luck.

I hope so, as I want a replacement, it is my favourite bass to play!

But then headed basses have huge holes drilled through them to fit tuning pegs, so it doesn’t make sense that a narrow screw would split the wood so completely. Smacks of wood that’s not totally seasoned and/or the lamination process isn’t up to scratch. Modern wood glues bond stronger than the wood they’re joining.

Not good and definitely one for a warranty replacement. 

Edited by FDC484950
Typo

Worry that Ibanez have swung and missed with this series, seems to be a lot of very different QC issues being identified.  Understandable on a £400 Ibby, not on anything north of £1k.  The problem when budget basses suddenly get expensive.

Edited by Kev

Just now, Lfalex v1.1 said:

Whilst it's unacceptable, I mightn't send it back.

I'd find a luthier, who'd doubtless remove the hardware, pop some decent glue in there and clamp it for a day or so... Job done.

I honestly doubt it would fall apart and if I had it second hand, or if I bought it for a couple of hundred, I would be inclined to agree with you as apart from that and the jack socket, there is nothing I don't like about that bass. But it is brand new and north of £1300 and still in it start days. At that price it has to be good.

As you say, the replacement might have issues, I can send that back too! Its rare I buy something new, might as well use the advantages I have for doing that.

21 hours ago, Lfalex v1.1 said:

Whilst it's unacceptable, I mightn't send it back.

I'd find a luthier, who'd doubtless remove the hardware, pop some decent glue in there and clamp it for a day or so... Job done.

The bass you get in exchange might have other issues...

The neck has other laminations. What if they split soon afterward? This is not the classic 40-year-old Fender E string tuner hole crack but the laminations coming apart on a new bass. It’s very rare for this to happen, principally because nowadays it is so easy to laminate wood and have it stay together. Personally I wouldn’t touch them as if something as fundamental as this is not being done properly, what else might go wrong?

On 17/06/2020 at 21:15, FDC484950 said:

But then headed basses have huge holes drilled through them to fit tuning pegs, so it doesn’t make sense that a narrow screw would split the wood so completely. Smacks of wood that’s not totally seasoned and/or the lamination process isn’t up to scratch.  

Unless they weren’t pre-drilled properly.

If it is seasoning, I wonder if this might be less of an issue on the roasted maple version. 

Well, it has been sent back to bax now, so hopefully they will send back a fully working replacement.

As I said, it is a great bass and I was perfectly happy with almost everything on it until I noticed that. Obviously I will check the replacement. If it seems like a common problem then maybe picking up a roasted maple one and replacing the pickups would be the way to go? Failing that I sell everything I have and get one of the UK luthiers to make me something with the same playability that holds together :D

• 2 weeks later...

Still waiting for any kind of response from bax, but at least I got a response from ibanez, which i was quite surprised about. 

They said: 

Wow. This looks really bad on the images. 

I will forward this on to our European network. Simply put – it shouldn’t happen.

I’m not sure what has gone wrong here, possibly transit shock or something else entirely, hard to know without inspection – we have not seen any reports of anything like this in the UK.

Keep me updated on how BAX are sorting you out – make sure everything goes smoothly for you whatever you decide to do.

If you run into any difficulty at all please let me know.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

And today, I have had it back fixed, with a new neck (an older neck, the serial number is on the neck on all modern ibanez). Or maybe I have a new bass with an old body.

Anyway, as I mentioned the B string wasn't as good as the 2605, I can say the B string on this new neck is really bright and punchy and nothing like the other one. Initial unplugged impression is that it is better than the SRs. So I suspect that as that crack was on the B string anchor, that the problem that caused the crack was there before the crack appeared.

• Like 4

And now I look the replacement (older) neck I have has a different construction to the original (newer) neck, the original one had light woods on the side and narrow spacing on the laminations, this has wenge on the side and wider laminations.

Edited by Woodinblack