Why become a member? ×

Back in the low life again

WingedWords

I've been around guitars since 1968 and got my first bass in the mid 70s. A cheapie Shaftesbury EB3L copy which got sold to help fund my first real Tele.

My main bass years were in the late 90s/early 00s and I accumulated a PB, a Jazz, and a trio of Warwick Corvettes. A Trace Elliott BLX150. All been in storage safely in a lined out and insulated loft space since I retired and moved house nearly 10 years ago and I've been spending time on classical guitar with lots of love still for Teles, a Jazzmaster, and slide on a resonator.

But always room for a bass and the Hohner B2AV I got in about 1999 has been in the corner matched with a PJB Double 4 since I moved house.

Over the past weeks (fortunate to be quite happy at home thanks) I've been using the bass to explore theory, harmony, chord building etc. And remembering how to play some of the Bach cello suites. I always loved my Corvettes, but it's been the Fenders that I've been playing this time round.

Biggest problem at present is figuring how to get my Trace Elliott down from the loft on my own. The tiny PJB is amazing but I'd like to get a little air moving.

Who do I listen to? Jack Bruce has always been No.1 since Cream - hence the EB3L and Warwicks. Jaco during his time with Joni Mitchell. The unsung pros like Carl Radle, Rob Stoner. James Jamerson and Duck Dunn of course. Robbie Shakespeare and Ashton Barrett. I like exploring the range covered by Bill Laswell and Jah Wobble. Mustn't forget Dave Holland. So many fine musicians and this lovely instrument will never let me go!

With luck here's my 96 Am Std Precision, my first good bass and back at No.1

20200503_125612.jpg

Edited by WingedWords
Add pic
  • Like 2

Thanks for the welcome all.

The amp will stay where it is until my son can next visit!

I'm very aware that in the past I've tended to spend too much time on party pieces like the Bach suites and not enough on the bassics. I've loved the suites for 50 years and thoroughly enjoy playing them, but what I'm enjoying hearing at the moment is how Robbie S and Aston B get so much out of not a lot.

Realistically at my age I've no intention going out gigging: two of the friends I've played much with have died and one is a long way away and we've lost touch. But I've finally worked out how to use my old Boss Loop Station, I've got a new little drum machine pedal and I'm having a ball.

A couple of gratuitous pics. My CiJ Noel Redding Jazz and the Hohner.

20181212_110230.jpg

20180627_223246.jpg