Why become a member? ×

Recordings sound muffled

Exile252

I've recently bought a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 to start recording songs with a friend. I was getting a lot of electrical buzz from the rest of my computer when going from bass to interface via a jack cable, so I swapped to an XLR cable out of the back of my amp head. Now it all sounds really muffed and seems to have reverb on it. When I'm actually playing it sounds fine, bright and clear, but it's not translated to the actual recording. Does anyone know what could be happening here? Or anyway to fix it?

Also could anyone give me some advice on shielding the interface so it doesn't get the electrical interference. Thanks guys!!

if it seems to have reverb then there's a good chance you're hearing 'direct monitoring' at the same time as the recorded sound. Even when set up great theres going to be a slight latency between you playing and whats recorded... milliseconds... but if it's low latency and you set it up to record what you sound like through the recording, then you'l barely notice the latency. Doing 'direct monitoring' just means you hear exactly how you sound with no latency. However, if you mix the two together you'll get an echo effect. It's always the one or the other for me, not both. 

Definitely got the Hi-Z switched on?

I'm a fan of these Focusrite interfaces - they do seem prone to USB noise though. For the noise issues I'd suggest :

1. Get a good quality USB cable 

2. Avoid plugging the interface into a USB hub 

3. Make sure the power supply cable isn't crossing other mains cables

The recording issue sounds like an odd one - some computer monitors can impose noise on certain pickups. Often its just a case of not sitting with your directly bass in front of your monitor. If that isn't the issue :-

For recording via Jack - make sure the corresponding input is set to 'Inst' (you might need to do this in software, as from memory their is no physical button on the interface). 

If you have a DI box handy go via that into the XLR input - if the DI has ground lift it might also help you with noise. 

The direct monitoring solution mentioned above might account for odd sounds when recording, but shoudn't affect the recording itself. Silly question - but have you definitely set the input into your DAW to the interface ? I ask because I once managed to record via my computers built in mic, having forgotten to select the interface in Logic - with predictably similarly thin and reverby results.

Is the DI on your amp generally clean ? May be worth checking if this is the issue - also, make sure you haven't got phantom power (+48v) engaged on the interface - some DI outputs really don't like having phantom thrown down them, which could lead to some weird audio effects. 

Hope this helps. 

I have suffered with this issue for 4 years. Constant buzz, humming. I've tried hum canceling pedals, shielded my guitars , watched endless you tube videos with no results. I thought it was the electric circuit in house hold.

Last year I bought a new gaming laptop, problem solved. It went from an irritating hum and buzz to a complete silence the moment I set up the new laptop. Occasionally I get the odd natural feedback or hum, which can be solved by turning away from the amp etc. The high gain can be solved with a noise gate ( within the VST).

As for the bass, it's dead silent when not played.

I achieved brilliant result recording a bass through XLR from bass amp into a di box, in this case the first Hartke version then into focusrite 2i2. Or just DI into focusrite. Hope this helps

Hi all,

I'm not sure what is being referred to as USB noise?! It could be a mis-translation with terminology, but it is very rarely the interface (whatever the brand) or the USB cable that causes humming/buzzing.
As above, it could be a multitude of things such as bad electrics, other electronics in the vicinity affecting speaker monitors that are using unbalanced cables, a cheap laptop with poor power regulation etc etc.

In any case, should anyone be having ongoing issues with getting the results that they expect, it's perhaps worth contacting our Technical Support team for help and advice. They're particularly busy at the moment due to a huge increase in people getting into music-making and recording (which is great), but they will come back to you asap:

https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/requests/new

All the best

Si // Focusrite Media Relations

Edited by Sibob

How are you monitoring your sound and what PC software are you using?  I also use a 2i2 and have no problems at all. It's important to have the right audio drivers installed and the correct soundcard selected in the recording software.