Why become a member? ×

Tutorial for online realtime music

jj1234

With decent internet and proximity, it is possible to play online (and record and livestream) in realtime, in high quality, with other musician(s). There are plenty of programs available for this but they're all quite similar. I've put up an exhaustive tutorial for one particular method, on Youtube.

It's a long video to cater to absolute beginners, but the process itself is pretty short and you can use the timestamps (in the description, on Youtube) to click through quickly once you've cracked each section. 

This topic has recently gone from being a niche pre-occupation of mostly interested amateurs, to something of interest to most professional musicians. I'll be getting together an article to summarise the principles of this type of software, to try and help us become 'informed consumers' of it, in the same we as we are informed consumers of bass gear and so on. 

Enjoy.

• Thanks 2

I haven't watched it yet but will do so later.  I did a reasonably successful JackTrip session for the first time with a musician friend about a week ago.  I found it a bit tricky to set up, although it did all work in the end.  It was an advantage that my friend already knew what he was doing and so could talk me through configuring my client to connect to his server, and also to reconfigure the audio routing on my computer.  I have to say for context we are both using Ubuntu for many years and comfortable using the terminal; I wonder how it plays out for a "normal person" - do you have a technical background?  Anyway, I'm sure it would have helped me if this video had existed last week; as far as I can see, it is the only tutorial of its kind.

there are other tutorials for other softwares, and all the softwares are pretty similar in principle. I have a technical background but to be honest once the router setup was done, and some basic terminal knowledge is there, I found that all the audio routing stuff was only as difficult as e.g. learning how to use Logic and route things to your audio interface in the right way. Once you grasp what the inputs and outputs in Jack are and where signals are going, it becomes clear.

I'll be keeping up with this field a bit in a sort of journalistic capacity, and will soon have an article on the ISM site where I interview a few of the software developers involved. Keep an eye out and I'll try to remember to post an update here too.

• Like 1