Why become a member? ×

Overwater Contemporary J4 Pick ups

dmccombe7

I have an Overwater J4 as shown below. It's not the Tanglewood version and was made by the guys at Overwater as a special for a few people. I'm guessing the dimensions are all same as Tanglewood versions.

I'm not a big fan of the pick-ups but i like the feel of the bass. I quite fancied going passive with it. Is it possible to fit a Precision style pick up under the pick up covers to get that Precision sound.

I don't want to change the bass itself so needs to be something that will fit the current hole positions. Not even sure that's possible.

Curious to know if anyone has changed the pick ups / pre-amp on one of them to see what you used.

Dave

Overwater by Tanglewood Contemporary J4 Bass | in Thornton ...

Edited by dmccombe7

• 2 months later...

Did you ever get any further with this?

Depending on the dimensions of those soapbars, you may well be able to use one of the readily available replacements with an internal P configuration. 

I know you said you want to go passive, but certainly EMG do such a pickup cos I've got one in one of mine. Other brands are available..

https://www.emgpickups.com/40p.html

• Thanks 1

Or maybe try one of the custom pickup shops?

I had one of the Tanglewater variants but stayed with the std p/ups.  Are the dimensions one of the common sizes?  If so probably multiple options.  Maybe measure up and check something like Bass Direct for some ideas?

Edited by ead

59 minutes ago, hubrad said:

Did you ever get any further with this?

Depending on the dimensions of those soapbars, you may well be able to use one of the readily available replacements with an internal P configuration. 

I know you said you want to go passive, but certainly EMG do such a pickup cos I've got one in one of mine. Other brands are available..

https://www.emgpickups.com/40p.html

Had a look but it mentions they are for 6 string basses. I like EMG pick ups but will see if they do one for 4 strings.

26 minutes ago, ead said:

Or maybe try one of the custom pickup shops?

I had one of the Tanglewater variants but stayed with the std p/ups.  Are the dimensions one of the common sizes?  If so probably multiple options.  Maybe measure up and check something like Bass Direct for some ideas?

They don't seem to be a standard pick up size. Sure i searched a number of options and couldn't find anything suitable. I was wondering if its possible to use the Overwater cover over something like a P bass pick up if it will fit. 

Pick up covers are 97mm x 38 mm. I'll try Bass Direct again see what they have.

My only other option is to go custom made or speak to a luthier about it. 

Its a great bass to play but just not a big fan of these pick-ups or pre-amp.

Dave

I've also just noticed that the pick ups don't sit directly in middle of all 4 strings as if they were made for 5 string basses and made to fit ? There is more of the pick up above the E string than that below the G string if that makes sense.

Typically a soapbar is 3.5" (89mm)  with EMG for a 4 stringer. I've just googled some pics of J4's and pick ups are even top and bottom. 

The bass was made from spares they had left over from the initial demo basses when approaching Tanglewood. 

Think maybe going to a Luthier like Chris McIntyre would be best way forward and get him to suggest options to make it a passive P sounding bass. I would replace both ick ups with a switch between them to fully isolate the bridge pick up when needed.

Dave

6 minutes ago, ead said:

Have you considered possible getting a luthier to extend the routing to a common size to give you a lot of choice e.g. EMG 40 size (102.1 x 38.4mm)?

I've given that some thought and might be another option. Its not something i would tackle myself. I've never actually changed anything on a bass. I like them as they are but this was a bargain, has a  good neck and generally a nice lookng bass it would be a shame to sell it for buttons when a new set of passive pups would sort the bit that's bugging me.

Because i have several other basses this one isn't a priority and more a side project. The fact the pick ups are not set mid point creates another issue for it.. 

Dave

3 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

I've given that some thought and might be another option. Its not something i would tackle myself. I've never actually changed anything on a bass. I like them as they are but this was a bargain, has a  good neck and generally a nice lookng bass it would be a shame to sell it for buttons when a new set of passive pups would sort the bit that's bugging me.

Because i have several other basses this one isn't a priority and more a side project. The fact the pick ups are not set mid point creates another issue for it.. 

Dave

You may be able to centralise the p/ups with this option depending upon how offset the are.

Removed one of the pick ups and they are solid sealed units but they are marked with a 4 so must be 4 string versions i guess.

From memory i was sure they used pick ups with a bar pole rather than separate poles like a Jazz pick up. I could be wrong tho.

I've never actually played this bass thru my Mesa rig as i normally set up my EBS Reidmar 750 thru Berg HT322 cab in the house mainly because its never gigged and amp is my back up head. Thought i would give it a go and it turns out it has a lot more depth and low end than i thought. Its made me have 2nd thoughts now. Might take it to our next rehearsal and try it out at volume.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, BassBunny said:

Alan Cringean of ACG guitars uses a P Bass type pickup in a soapbar case and his pickups are made by Aaron Armstrong.

Might be worth contacting Aaron to see what he can do.

Think Alan is based in Moffat so not too far away either. Not 100% sure but i think that's where Chris at Overwater gets his pick ups. Could be wrong tho.

Dave

I actually have a spare ACG PB pickup (made by Armstrong).  Dimensions are 100 x 50 mm so maybe you need to source one of the 40mm housing sizes.  None of the ACG pickup range are in what might be termed std sizes so may not be the optimal solution.

• Thanks 1