Why become a member? ×

Let's all cheer up during Lockdown... Your Funeral Songs!!

End of the Line The Traveling Wilburys for me.

Recently read (don't think it was on here) of a guy who had his coffin carried in to The Sweeney theme-tune and then, as it went through the curtain, the Vision On tune.

On 11/05/2020 at 20:04, pete.young said:

A story my mother tells is that before the war her father had a job repairing furnaces, including those in crematoria. They must have had two furnaces, or not actually lit them during the service as he and his best mate were often working under the crematorium while funerals were taking place.  Apparently they got so completely fed up with The Funeral March on record that shortly after this came out my grandfather had to physically restrain his friend from swapping that record for this.

I have occasionally wondered what the song was like, and now I know. I shall forward the link on to Mum, so thank you from both of us.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Richard R said:

A story my mother tells is that before the war her father had a job repairing furnaces, including those in crematoria. They must have had two furnaces, or not actually lit them during the service as he and his best mate were often working under the crematorium while funerals were taking place.  Apparently they got so completely fed up with The Funeral March on record that shortly after this came out my grandfather had to physically restrain his friend from swapping that record for this.

I have occasionally wondered what the song was like, and now I know. I shall forward the link on to Mum, so thank you from both of us.

What a great story, thank you for sharing it. Best wishes to your Mum.

Theres an interesting variant from the Clancy Brothers, with a different tune and mostly different words but a shared sentiment and style. The two versions are clearly connected, I wonder how.

I’ve known mine for a while:

‘Hymn For The Greatest Generation’ By Caspian

’The Love’ by The Dear Hunter

’I’m Super’ by Big Gay Al (South Park: The Movie)

Epic, poignant and funny in equal measure, got to curate a good vibe ammirite 😁 

Si

On 13/05/2020 at 19:01, pete.young said:

What a great story, thank you for sharing it. Best wishes to your Mum.

Theres an interesting variant from the Clancy Brothers, with a different tune and mostly different words but a shared sentiment and style. The two versions are clearly connected, I wonder how.

superb knitwear 👌

On 13/05/2020 at 19:01, pete.young said:

The two versions are clearly connected, I wonder how.

It's a bit like Zeppelin and the blues artists lifting riffs and licks from older tunes and incorporating them into their stuff.  My guess is that these guys has heard the older one and wrote an updated version.

Mum says thanks btw, she had never heard the full song either 👍