Why become a member? ×

Let's all cheer up during Lockdown... Your Funeral Songs!!

13 minutes ago, owen said:

Tune! 

Have you heard the Lisa Fischer version of it?

"Version" is about right. Sorry, but I think she completely ruins it. Catherine Bott / Christopher Hogwood / The Academy of Ancient Music FTW.

• Like 2

For the record I will have "A remark you made" off Heavy Weather, the Hymn "I cannot tell", the Hymn "Mi glywaf dyner lais" (Welsh) and my mate John pumping out "What a friend we have in Jesus" on a steaming Hammond as the outro. 

Jethro Tull Beastie. I love the lyrics, "From early days of infancy, to trembling years of youth, long murky middle age and final hours long in the tooth" I want that put on my gravestone even although I want to be buried at sea or burned.

Leaving my body to science, I don't go in for all that mournful tosh. When you dead you dead. No religious service just a party and as long as they play "Albatross" by Fleetwood Mac it will do. I am only attached to that music as my mum and dad both had it played at their funerals, so I cant think of a better tribute to their memories. As a joke I want "Close to the Edge " played in its entirety, and no one is allowed  to leave till its finished.

These two beautiful songs.....

If they don't have 'em all crying buckets then nothing will...

Crikey, just listening to them again right now.... with the horrors of Covid-19 and I'm holding back the blubbing....

• Like 1

A friend of mine conducts funerals as a civil celebrant. He's often asked for some 'wacky' tunes for the occasion, including -

The Jam - Going Underground, The Traamps - Disco Inferno, Queen - Another one bites the dust, Norman Greenbaum - Spirit in the sky, Monty Python - Always look on the bright side of life, Crazy World of Arthur Brown - Fire, Morecambe & Wise - Bring me sunshine, Simple Minds - Don't you forget about me, and also the Match of the Day theme tune!

Most popular songs are - Angels, My Way, Time to say goodbye, Wind beneath my wings, You raise me up, The Living years.

I've always wanted to have this as my filing-out-afterwards music. Then my bloody ex-father in law went and beat me to it. Now if I use it, it'll look like I'm copying him. Thanks a bunch Fred. :( 
So instead, I'm going to copy Clarky and have DLR's "Just A Gigolo". The "I Ain't Got No Body" bit will show folks that I'm having the last laugh.
I don't have a complete list for other songs, but I'd like "Redemption Song" and Level 42's "Leaving Me Now" in there somewhere. 

Edited by Rich
  • Like 1

“If you don’t know me by now” Simply Red.

seriously though, I want REM’s ‘Electrolyte’ as I go through the curtain / get fired into space, the whole “I’m not scared, I’m outta here” at the end should see me right

On 12/05/2020 at 10:37, casapete said:

Most popular songs are - Angels, My Way, Time to say goodbye, Wind beneath my wings, You raise me up, The Living years.

cripes, listening to that lot would make me want to jump into a hole in the ground

Edited by Barking Spiders
  • Like 1

Mrs Ubit's mother is a real nutcase (in a good way) She has stated that she wants all the mourners at her funeral to walk backwards out of the church. Honestly, I have never met a more zany person than her. She is a great laugh.

Brubeck's 'Take Five' for my entry.

Just for the comfort of knowing, in my final hours, that the pallbearers will be tripping over their feet, and there's potential for them dropping my coffin.

• Haha 2

As people leave the service I think Chairman of the Board will fill the bill.

My late son-in-law was a red hot Labour supporter and a trade union official.  At the end of his funeral service we played "Part of the Union" by Strawbs - it put a smile on most people's faces.

• Like 2