Why become a member? ×

Supposedly great basslines? Really??!!

During lockdown I've spent quite a bit of time checking out what are claimed to be 'greatest' basslines to see which are worth adding to my repertoire. Some are right-on the money and deserve their reps. Others leave me thinking, 'really?!!' Among those leaving me a tad underwhelmed is 'Orion' by Metallica, which I believe is meant to have cemented Cliff Burton's place in basstory. I'm not saying there's owt wrong with it but I don't see why it often appears is best basslines lists. Another One Bites The Dust is also often mentioned yet it's derivative of Good Times.  On the other hand I never see the lines to Party Fears 2 or Club Country  by The Associates mentioned yet these are worthy of any greatest bassline  list. Feel free to be outraged etc 😊

I never pay much attention to the "greatest" X,Y, or Z polls/opinions. They are in the "ear of the beholder".  For me, a "great" bass line is one that supplies exactly (no more or less) what the song requires. If it sounds great to you then it is... 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

On the other hand I never see the lines to Party Fears 2 or Club Country  by The Associates mentioned yet these are worthy of any greatest bassline  list. Feel free to be outraged etc 😊

I guess the reason these don't get recognised for the great basslines they are is simply because they are largely impossible to cover (not just bass wise but Billy's vocals as well) So they don't get heard so often now, personally the two basslines fall squarely into the category of "I wouldn't even know where to begin" basslines so are not ones I have even thought about trying to decipher!

6 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

...On the other hand I never see the lines to Party Fears 2 or Club Country  by The Associates mentioned...

My curiosity got the better of me, so I gave these a listen (or, at least, tried to...). I must stop doing that. -_-

• Haha 1