Why become a member? ×

What have you got against slap bass?

1 hour ago, EBS_freak said:

I concur. There’s currently a young lady doing pretty unspectacular covers in her kitchen doing the rounds on Facebook. Her engagement figures are huge and there’s the typical male leches making the expected comments. If I played exactly the same, or indeed pretty much any of us, our “likes” or “views” or whatever measure you want to use are unlikely to get out of single figures.

Speak for yourself, I'm f*in hot :D

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Frank Blank said:

True, thus the demand for this signage will be huge.

The alternative where everyone agrees on something objectively correct would be mind bogglingly dull... 

"My bass has 5 strings."

"Agreed." 

😁 

2 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

The alternative where everyone agrees on something objectively correct would be mind bogglingly dull... 

"My bass has 5 strings."

"Agreed." 

😁

The agreement threads are fine, albeit, as you say, dull. It's the I thing this way and I'm right threads that need the sign.

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

"My bass has 5 strings."

"Agreed." 

😁

Yes, but necessary. Also known as NEW [insert type of gear] DAY threads. It's my new toy, so it's awesome. All agree. Then two weeks later the truth comes out :D

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Ah ok - if you had originally said "many" audiences, there would be nothing at all for me to disagree with; that is a self-evidently true point.

I did and now I’m confused 😀

3 minutes ago, krispn said:

I did and now I’m confused 😀

Nah - read back exactly what you wrote. It's what I quoted in my earlier post. But no biggie: if you meant "many" rather than "most" then fair enough, nothing to debate and I certainly wouldn't have commented.

23 hours ago, krispn said:

I don’t think that many audiences care for slap bass to be fair. Of course you’ll get the odd goof doing the Alan Partridge air slap bass thing but unless it’s a track known for slap (playing much Level 42 or Stanley Clarke). I find slap can work in songs as an accent or if tastefully done - Hit Me Baby One More Time is a fine example and Dumpstaphunk Standin’ In Your Stuff are personal favourites (look out for the 6 string bass too). 

It’s not that I dislike slap but like many who are proficient at a skill like that it can become over used and technique for techniques sake. 

I once dropped a bass down some stairs and it was the best sounding slap bass sound/solo I ever got but to be fair it wouldn’t have grooved with the band but as a solo piece! Fuggedaboutit!

In @krispn's defence he seems to have loosely summarised his earlier post, no doubt after or during a late night NHS shift. [Haha - just seen we're in full agreement on this].

Gotta be validly arguable that many audiences won't be partial to slap. But IMO it's definitely not the case that most rock / pop audiences will dislike it and even be enthusiastic about it - particularly when it's done as well as some of the examples we've had on this thread.

I, for one, would be delighted to play that Dua Lipa track as well as Juliaplaysgroove. Damn it she's even got me looking at MM basses - I thought you'd need a P bass to get that tone 😁

Edited by Al Krow

I think it's a bit of a stretch of the imagination to believe that most audiences even recognise slap bass when they hear it.

We flatter ourselves with the importance we attach to this topic, the majority of listeners would think we are counting angels on pins.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, ClassicVibes said:

@krispn

Another key worker! I will start the clap: 👏

Ooooo. Can I have one too?  Even though I work in IT in the finance industry and could arguably take a year off without affecting anyone, the govt has decreed I'm a key worker and I have a letter* to prove it :) . I do feel somewhat of a fraud when I see what real key workers are doing and do appreciate everything you're doing. 

* I'd have to print it off if i ever wanted to use it  but because we're not allowed in the office and we can't use personal devices connected to work laptops I can't. 

1 minute ago, jacko said:

Ooooo. Can I have one too?  Even though I work in IT in the finance industry and could arguably take a year off without affecting anyone, the govt has decreed I'm a key worker and I have a letter* to prove it :) . I do feel somewhat of a fraud when I see what real key workers are doing and do appreciate everything you're doing. 

* I'd have to print it off if i ever wanted to use it  but because we're not allowed in the office and we can't use personal devices connected to work laptops I can't. 

Approved! 👏

1 hour ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I think it's a bit of a stretch of the imagination to believe that most audiences even recognise slap bass when they hear it.

We flatter ourselves with the importance we attach to this topic, the majority of listeners would think we are counting angels on pins.

You could easily apply that sentiment to pretty much every topic we chew over at length on basschat!

But that's certainly not been my experience over the years: punters are not as thick as you might want to paint them. Audiences can be very appreciative of quality and entertaining bass-playing. Slap is just another technique in a bass players' arsenal and it can certainly add to both the groove and the entertainment when it's done well.

Maybe give it a try before slapping it down?

Edited by Al Krow

2 hours ago, Al Krow said:

[Haha - just seen we're in full agreement on this].

Nope, not allowed on BC.That kind of sweeping statement will only cause confusion on BC.  If one person gets away with it, everyone will want to.

Hopefully the moderators will take some serious action on that :laugh1:

I agree to disagree on anything i say.

He He He

Dave

27 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Maybe give it a try before slapping it down?

As mentioned above I both appreciate slap and play a bit.

Burt I think many people appreciate it without realising its a significantly different technique. I'm not meaning Level 42 fans.

Come to think of it, I bet most non-players couldn't tell pick from fingers by listening to a record.

Edited by Stub Mandrel

I can't play slap but i like it.:lol:

When i say i can't play it i mean that i don't regard myself as a slap bassist but can do little bits and bobs enough to add a little fill if needed which has become a lot rarer these days.

Dave