Why become a member? ×

What have you got against slap bass?

6 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

I know this clip has been posted here before but's worth putting it up again as IMO it's a classic example of tasteful and purposeful slapping at its best, as well as being one of the best bits of bass playing I've ever come across.

6 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

That's actually a piece of music that develops, rather than just aimless noodling.

Nah don't get that at all. Agreed it's not bad, but it's not slap played with groove in the context of a band and part of a piece of great funk music. 

It's a piece of solo slap and in that sense just as "circus" as any other piece of solo slap.

The other maligned "circus" piece has just as much form and technique if you care to listen for it. And, frankly, your average punter is much more likely to be thrilled by the more flash version. 

It comes back to a basic question of why do any of us perform live? 

1) cos we love it; 

2) to make a few quid;

and both of the above depend on

3) the audience loving it. 

Edited by Al Krow

4 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Nah don't get that at all. Agreed it's not bad, but it's not slap played with groove in the context of a band and part of a piece of great funk music. 

It's a piece of solo slap and in that sense just as "circus" as any other piece of solo slap.

T

except it's actually the bassline for a song by Incognito, called er.. Jacob's Ladder

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

except it's actually the bassline for a song by Incognito, called er.. Jacob's Ladder

That's where i know that song title from. Cheers i've been trying to remember that all day.

Dave

1 hour ago, Barking Spiders said:

Yeah fair point, and I'm not for a moment denying his skill. But the track played in your clip, to me anyway, is a much more in your face bass solo than with the 45 piece (or whatever number) band & orchestra that Incognito perform that track with. Acid jazz is awesome, but not sure how many of us are / will ever be playing that stuff? Respect to anyone who is!

Getting back to my point - I suspect the audiences most of us play to will be just as, if not more, impressed by the much-derided earlier solo piece than this more sophisticated number. IMO Nigel Clutterbuck's talent and skill is going to entertain just as much in the context of most of our bands and audiences.

Edited by Al Krow

9 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Getting back to my point - I suspect the audiences most of us play to will be just as, if not more, impressed by the much-derided earlier solo piece than this more sophisticated number. IMO Nigel Clutterbuck's talent and skill is going to entertain just as much in the context of most of our bands and audiences.

I suspect you could be right. No doubting Nigel Clutterbuck has technical skill by the shedload. Sometimes I see buskers doing this sort of thing and usually  people just walk by, including myself. 

I don’t think that many audiences care for slap bass to be fair. Of course you’ll get the odd goof doing the Alan Partridge air slap bass thing but unless it’s a track known for slap (playing much Level 42 or Stanley Clarke). I find slap can work in songs as an accent or if tastefully done - Hit Me Baby One More Time is a fine example and Dumpstaphunk Standin’ In Your Stuff are personal favourites (look out for the 6 string bass too). 

It’s not that I dislike slap but like many who are proficient at a skill like that it can become over used and technique for techniques sake. 

I once dropped a bass down some stairs and it was the best sounding slap bass sound/solo I ever got but to be fair it wouldn’t have grooved with the band but as a solo piece! Fuggedaboutit!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, gjones said:

Check this out. Slap bass on an upside down bass, by Stan Sargeant.

I'm struggling to get my head around that! Its hard enough to master the right way up!

Edited by ubit
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

And also with the exception - Julian Crampton has actually played and recorded with Incognito IIRC. So hardly a busker!!! 

Whatever, it shows phenomenal skill and musicianship, some elements of which I can achieve - but mostly not st this level!!! 

Edited by drTStingray

16 hours ago, gjones said:

Check this out. Slap bass on an upside down bass, by Stan Sargeant.

Stan Sergeant is just superb - check out his work with Keb Mo (the band I'm in actually covers one of those songs - however doing some of this technical stuff is way beyond me. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, krispn said:

I don’t think that many audiences care for slap bass to be fair. Of course you’ll get the odd goof doing the Alan Partridge air slap bass thing but unless it’s a track known for slap (playing much Level 42 or Stanley Clarke). I find slap can work in songs as an accent or if tastefully done - Hit Me Baby One More Time is a fine example and Dumpstaphunk Standin’ In Your Stuff are personal favourites (look out for the 6 string bass too). 

It’s not that I dislike slap but like many who are proficient at a skill like that it can become over used and technique for techniques sake. 

Although I agree it is only usable as a technique relatively sparingly (though if you've ever been to a Level 42 concert, especially in recent years, you'll find possibly a larger proportion of females in the audience (than say the beard stroking male domination of some types of rock band audience). And slap is obviously de rigeur - although not everything is - perhaps a larger proportion than say a Marcus Miller show. This is also true of double bass slap on rockabilly - three songs and all but the most hardened fan will be bored (btw that was a heavily chorus-laden fretless Pino P that Alan P was air-bassing to in his caravan in leather underpants - Songs for Chameleons - Gary Numan). 

Where I disagree fundamentally is that audiences dislike slap bass - my own experience (and this goes for fretless as well) is that people come up and make very positive comments, including that it's refreshing to hear rather than the boring and inaudible plodding that is the stuff of bass sometimes  - I tend to use slap bass as you've described, but have been known to play whole songs with it - for instance Albert Collins songs based on his 1980s/90s band and arrangements. 

Possibly the biggest critics are musicians, and notably other bass players on occasion (this thread suggests this as well).

I'd agree the appalling din at a bass show caused by lots of people slapping is majorly irritating. But don't throw the baby out with the bath water!!!! 😏👍

Slap bass is really associated with soul and funk music, and modern (ish) rock music - having seen the Fatback Band at Ronnie Scott's last New Year's Eve (remember live gigs 😯) I sure felt the funk and groove in my chest - and there was some slap bass as well. In the same way I would be bored **itless at a Neil Young gig (in fact I fell asleep in a Pink Floyd gig pre Meddle in about 1970 much to the astonishment of some of my prog loving mates - whereas I loved Yes gigs to the extent I saw them at least 3 times), I wouldn't expect a Neil Young fan to be in the slightest moved by a funk or soul band and would no doubt be irritated by slap bass peeking out from the shadows of normal bassdom. 

So I think it's a genre issue as well as an issue for some musicians - I must confess to being mildly irritated by two handed tapping for more than, say 10 seconds - that might be partially because I don't get it and more importantly, have not learned how to do it beyond stringing a few notes together 😁 - brilliant though I accept Messrs Sheehan and Hamm are 👍

Edited by drTStingray
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, drTStingray said:

I wouldn't expect a Neil Young fan to be in the slightest moved by a funk or soul band and would no doubt be irritated by slap bass peeking out from the shadows of normal bassdom. 

Low expectations!

Hmm, Neil's one of my favourite artists, and I've always said if I didn't like rock I'd be into funk instead...

I've been known to tap too (badly).

I haven't got anything against it - quite admire the players on here (as well as the pros) who do it tastefully, and within context of the music being played. It's not a skill I've acquired in 35 years of playing (mainly because it sounds pretty crap when I do it), and it's not something I've prioritised - a bit like my pick playing. I'm more interested in playing with a good tone and time feel more than anything else.

2 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Low expectations!

Hmm, Neil's one of my favourite artists, and I've always said if I didn't like rock I'd be into funk instead...

I've been known to tap too (badly).

Hopefully I haven't annoyed you by mentioning Neil - we all have our least favourite artists but it was really just a genre thing I was getting at - I'm a Jaco fan but if anyone suggests I listen to the whole of his first big band album whilst driving my car - I'm more likely to have road rage than any appearance on the radio of Morrisey, Neil Young or any other of my musical nadirs could achieve. Now give me a decent dance album to listen to whilst driving and I'm in driving heaven!!

2 hours ago, Al Krow said:

@drTStingray another excellent post sir!

Thanks @Al Krow

Now here's a nice slapped bass line - she has a nice new 5 string as well - this young lady plays with so much groove and whilst I can do slap triplets the couple she does after a couple of minutes into this track sound so much more funky than I do (mental note - must practice my slap/pop triplets 😬)

https://youtu.be/QEmWhglxI-8

If someone can embed this please assist as it seems impossible when posting from a Smart Phone (in my case not so smart - or maybe it's the operator 😂)

Edited by drTStingray
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, drTStingray said:

https://youtu.be/QEmWhglxI-8

If someone can embed this please assist as it seems impossible when posting from a Smart Phone (in my case not so smart - or maybe it's the operator 😂)

Another good shout docT! Here she is on Dua Lipa's latest track - loved her use of slap from 3.02 into this. Literally just 30 seconds of slap to finish off and it provides real energy and contrast to her bass line. Bravo.

She posted this just 4 weeks ago and has since had nearly 800K hits and 57K likes. Who say's the public doesn't like a bit of slap bass?

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

She posted this just 4 weeks ago and has since had nearly 800K hits and 57K likes. Who say's the public doesn't like a bit of slap bass?

I think they were only there for the pick playing 😁

Very well played though. All 3 styles executed perfectly. 

• Like 3

For clarity I simply said most audiences don’t care for slap bass. Fans of particular genres or specific bands can obviously go all in especially when it’s such an intrinsic part of the bands style - early Chilli Peppers, Level 42, Marcus et al. There’s defo some confirmation bias going on here (well it is a  bass forum, right!). I’d much rather listen to a player play in time, play the right notes and if they can season it with some style and technique fair play. 

Likes on YT can be attributed to fans of the artist rather than fans of a technique or simply appreciation of a musician playing well.  **Cue some slap video with a million hits 😀

• Like 4

@krispn you are right and wrong - people prefer slap - these videos have been up for a total of nearly 20 years combined and has only just about gained parity with That slap video up for 4 weeks, nowt to do with Dua Lipa being in the title of the other one for making it rank higher in searches.......

@dave_bass5 we need to drum up business on pick playing. My playing is crap in general even though I prefer a pick, you pop a video up of the same song with a pick For the whole song, let’s see where we can get to - that’s the real test, I am thinking a million maybe.

We’ll get this guy to do our counting......

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Another good shout docT! Here she is on Dua Lipa's latest track - loved her use of slap from 3.02 into this. Literally just 30 seconds of slap to finish off and it provides real energy and contrast to her bass line. Bravo.

I think that is largely what people have said they do like, certainly me - it is great as an accent. It contrasts the earlier playing. As a contrast, or an accent it is great.

If its all there is, then it is not as good.

• Like 1