Why become a member? ×

What have you got against slap bass?

Nothing, but I do have something against the fairly widespread (in my experience) opinion, that as a bass player, you somehow just ought to slap. Even that it's the "proper" way to play bass. In Call Me Al and Carwash, I don't slap the bass breaks, I do something that's fun, fits the song and suits my playing style, but according to some people, that's wrong.

My experience of slap is quite limited As my musical background went prog > punk > new wave. I briefly enjoyed Mark King but to me (imho) it’s very fast clicky and utterly soulless, it might be technically brilliant but it doesn’t move me. There are some Level 42 tracks where he does some finger style stuff I like but it’s a brief glimmer of sun before the clackity clouds come in again. Likewise Stanley Clarke doesn’t move me much either, it’s probably just not my bag. Mind you, having said all that, new wave is peppered with little slappy odds and sods ...

... Paul Raven would slap occasionally, I asked him about it once. “It’s forgivable as long as the thumb isn’t upright, that’s a signal, an upright bass slapping thumb is a signal to Satan notifying him of a soul ripe for harvest.”

Edited by Frank Blank

Only a very small % of all recorded music features slap bass. So yes, I think people place too much emphasis on it. 

But it's easy to understand. Slap turns the bass into a kind of 'lead' instrument. It's an extremely distinctive sound, fun to play and - yes, if we're honest - people generally quite impressed by it.

Slap is also a bit more dynamic to watch. I reckon that's why it features so heavily in videos demo'ing /selling gear. 

But it's a bit of a luxury really. The number of videos on YouTube about 'Slap Technique' ... gosh, so many other more fundamental things one could be learning (I am guilty though). 

That said, I do have a bit of a thing for '80s-style slap', even though it could be a bit thin-sounding and was often backed up with a synth. The thing I like about it is that it involves more 'thumb' and less 'pop'. I think it's more challenging to play as well.

E.g., 

RATM - Take the power back

Kajagoogoo - Too Shy 

I know it's apples & oranges, but the point is both songs have repeating parts that aren't wildly complex. Except it's so much harder to make the latter sound tight with the music. Requires far more care and precision, with both hands. 

Just my 2ps on slap 🙂 Great thread.

• Like 2

Disappointment, I thought this was going to be the German Propaganda.  I think it's Derek Forbes who plays bass on some tracks. There's one with a bit of low end thumbing but I don't recall any octave popping. Don't think anyone could object to it as it suits the song.

IMO the slap bass in 80s pop tunes like Too Shy, some ABC tracks and Wham tunes like Club Tropicana add much needed muscle to what are often pretty insipid songs.

Edited by Barking Spiders
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

Disappointment, I thought this was going to be the German Propaganda.  I think it's Derek Forbes who plays bass on some tracks. There's one with a bit of low end thumbing but I don't recall any octave popping. Don't think anyone could object to it as it suits the song.

IMO the slap bass in 80s pop tunes like Too Shy, some ABC tracks and Wham tunes like Club Tropicana add much needed muscle to what are often pretty insipid songs.

Derek Forbes did indeed play with Propoganda...

• Like 1

Nout against slap but I have enough troubles as it is. Wouldn't mind adding it to my toolbox at some point, can't see me ever using it and it doesn't feature in any of the stuff I play or listen to. Anyway the only instrument I have access to for the next few weeks is Frankenuke so options are limited.

1 hour ago, Frank Blank said:

Derek Forbes did indeed play with Propoganda...

I bought a Vigier bass from Derek Forbes that he had apparently used with Propaganda and SM.  I emailed Patrice Vigier to ask for more info on the bass.  As I remember, his reply was brief and to-the-point, something about Derek making that bass sound great and I'm very disappointed that he sold it to you 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I   distinctly remember seeing Derek Forbes playing his Wal bass with Propaganda live in concert , but what bass he used on the recordings I have no idea.

Anyhow, I think slap bass can sound great. I love a nice bit of slap  and I love to do a bit of slapping myself,  but I am a bit distraught at how much I have let my own slap chops go to seed a bit in recent years . I  have been  trying to practice a bit more  slapping  lately, but quite frankly, it is making me knackered ! I had forgotten ( or never realised) how physically demanding a technique slap can be.  I was never Mark King, but  by the same token , I was never ready for a cup of tea and a lie down after two songs either. I can feel it in my water that a 1980's revival is just around the corner and  if I  am right  then any self-respecting bass player is going to need to be able to pummel and twang those strings or else get left by the wayside. 🙁

There is good slap and bad slap. In the 70's and 80'S  there was a lot of good slap, nowadays less so.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Misdee said:

I   distinctly remember seeing Derek Forbes playing his Wal bass with Propaganda live in concert , but what bass he used on the recordings I have no idea.

Anyhow, I think slap bass can sound great. I love a nice bit of slap  and I love to do a bit of slapping myself,  but I am a bit distraught at how much I have let my own slap chops go to seed a bit in recent years . I  have been  trying to practice a bit more  slapping  lately, but quite frankly, it is making me knackered ! I had forgotten ( or never realised) how physically demanding a technique slap can be.  I was never Mark King, but  by the same token , I was never ready for a cup of tea and a lie down after two songs either. I can feel it in my water that a 1980's revival is just around the corner and  if I  am right  then any self-respecting bass player is going to need to be able to pummel and twang those strings or else get left by the wayside. 🙁

There is good slap and bad slap. In the 70's and 80'S  there was a lot of good slap, nowadays less so.  

The 80s were the heyday of slapping in mainstream pop as they were also for fretless malarkey.  Most slapping on pop tunes was pretty tasteful, with little of the machine gun type winkery many object to. As well as Too Shy by Kajagoogoo  and some very nice chops by Deon Estus on Wham tunage I'd point you to tracks on ABC's Lexicon of Love and Simple Mind's New Gold Dream. Another good example is the bassline on Money Go Round by the Style Council.

And then there's Louis Johnson's playing with Jacko. Check out ...

Edited by Barking Spiders
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Bassfinger said:

Nothing.  I just don't like it.  I also don't like the sound of noisy dustmen, car alarms going off, and plimsolls squeaking on lino floors.

"And I am not professional but I love basketball
The squeaking of the sneakers, the echo in the hall" - Michael Franti and Spearhead from "The People in Tha Middle" 1994

Don't know why but your plimsolls made me think of that.

• Haha 1