Why become a member? ×

Close To The Edge - Full Bass Transcription

Bilbo

I wanted to draw people's attention to this as it took me 'kin ages and I am not altogether sure who looks at my Transcription Archive page.

I have completed a FULL transcription of Chris Squire's bass part to Close To The Edge. I have been meaning to do this for years and, now we have these 'Isolated Bass' things on YouTube, it's a no brainer. A labour of love, this one.

Close To The Edge Bass Part.pdf

• Like 16
  • Thanks 7

Good Lord, man! 👏👏👏

Now if you could just go back and TAB it out for us too. Ooh, is that my coat? It’s ok, I’ll get it myself. 😂

Edited by ezbass
  • Haha 3

Not that I'm able, or even willing to try, such virtuoso gymnastics, but I think your time spent should at least be recognised. There may only be a small numbers of members taking it up, but that only makes it all the more high-flying, in my eyes. Good on you, old chum. :hi:

• Like 1

Thanks for freely sharing your hard work. I'm using the lockdown to learn to read music and to transcribe every new bass line I learn or create. I have an inkling therefore just how much time and effort goes into it. 

It is worth flagging up that there is a massive section of this track where there is no bass (the 'I Get Up, I Get Down' section). And there are other sections where the bars are repeated (e.g. opening riffs is one bar repeated about 48 times across the piece). It did take a while but not as long as you would think (it took longer because I screwed up the time signature and was writing twice as many bars as I needed to).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Bilbo said:

I wanted to draw people's attention to this as it took me 'kin ages and I am not altogether sure who looks at my Transcription Archive page.

I have completed a FULL transcription of Chris Squire's bass part to Close To The Edge. I have been meaning to do this for years and, now we have these 'Isolated Bass' things on YouTube, it's a no brainer. A labour of love, this one.

Close To The Edge Bass Part.pdf 111.82 kB · 29 downloads

FYI, I follow your transcription topic and it is an awesome resource.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, stewblack said:

Well I just listened to it for the very first time today, following your transcription (reading not playing) and I have to say it's a fascinating piece. 

Isn't it? It was arguably the first Prog track I ever heard and it blew my mind. I still don't know what they are doing half of the time. 

• Like 1

Fantastic work @Bilbo having just about got the hang of the first half of Starship Trooper I look on this with some trepidation :( 

Does this comply with the Salieri note limit per piece of music?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, GeeJayW said:

Good job @Bilbo , Thanks. Chris Squire was a hero on bass, well in my book anyway.

Mood For A Day transcription can be found here...

https://lessonsthatrock.com/downloads/Y/Yes/Yes - Mood For A Day.pdf?x68250

I have a TAB version somewhere.

Been listening to it since '71. Still can't play it. :(

Think I'm going to stick to transcribing Chris' bass part... I know I can DEFINITELY play that one on bass!!!! :D :D :D

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Bilbo said:

Close To The Edge Bass Part.pdf 111.82 kB · 40 downloads

Where might one find this Transcription Archive page?

And can you do Gates Of Delirium next please?

Well that's a feet of endurance and no mistake. However, as its one of my very favourite pieces of music - I'll be content to listen now and again. Not a player this one - at least for me...

20 hours ago, Bilbo said:

What I found surprising, bearing in mind I have listened to the track for decades, is that there is very little of it that is actually hard to play :) The opening bars is about it, really. 

The sign of a true genius for me. To come up with something iconic and musical, and keep it accessible. The "Why didn't I think of that" syndrome. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/05/2020 at 21:12, Bilbo said:

Close To The Edge Bass Part.pdf 111.82 kB · 65 downloads

Extraordinary work, Rob. Well done.

• Thanks 1

On 12/05/2020 at 09:32, mikel said:

The sign of a true genius for me. To come up with something iconic and musical, and keep it accessible. The "Why didn't I think of that" syndrome. 

This. I’m not sure anything I’ve heard by Chris (who most will know is my favourite player) is particularly difficult - other than remembering the songs! - but it’s the musicality. And THAT tone, of course.😉

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 4000 said:

This. I’m not sure anything I’ve heard by Chris (who most will know is my favourite player) is particularly difficult - other than remembering the songs! - but it’s the musicality. And THAT tone, of course.😉

His picking is pretty refined. And he's a whizz at odd time signatures. And he's singing harmony. Oh and bass pedals. He's a walking church - organ, choir the lot! And whatever it is that makes my arm hairs stand-up and adrenaline pulse when I hear one semi-tone of his playing.

Edited by visog
  • Like 1