Why become a member? ×

Bass valve head conundrum

danbanbass

9 minutes ago, danbanbass said:

That's good to hear and I'm sure (Hopeful) I'll have no need for anything bigger than 100w as I've 500w A/B Class solid state heads and of course my old beloved (No longer with us Trace Elliot SM 300 GP7 ran at 8 ohms) which were more than plenty.

I have no desire to own another D class amp after my brief foray into an Aguiler TH500 which in my eyes was a complete disappointment, couldn't get a sound I liked in gig/rehearsal settings which I sold and ended up using a Ampeg Svt450 amp which in my eyes/ears blew it out of the water in my old Foo Fighters Tribute band.

Yup agree with the TH500, found it a bit meh! I used the DB751 in the Foos band I’m with but have switched to the Ashdown stuff now after nabbing that head. Still love the SVT VR though. Hoping something gets a run out before XMAS 🤞

15 minutes ago, walshy said:

Yup agree with the TH500, found it a bit meh! I used the DB751 in the Foos band I’m with but have switched to the Ashdown stuff now after nabbing that head. Still love the SVT VR though. Hoping something gets a run out before XMAS 🤞

Nice to know I wasn't the only one who struggled with it, I do miss playing the Foo's stuff but having been playing guitar in an originals band and have promoted myself to bass player :lol:

Fingers crossed that we can all start gigging again this year or at least be able to rehearse and jam that's for sure!!

• Like 1

If you can find one, get a Mesa Boogie Strategy Eight:88. I've owned a Marshall VBA400, and an Orange AD200B, both great. Played through an Aguilar DB751 a few times too, again very good. But the Mesa is by far and away the best valve amp, in fact the best amp period, I have ever used. It's magical.

(I do know someone selling an AD200B though, let me know if you want a price). 

On 14/05/2020 at 21:00, binky_bass said:

If you can find one, get a Mesa Boogie Strategy Eight:88. I've owned a Marshall VBA400, and an Orange AD200B, both great. Played through an Aguilar DB751 a few times too, again very good. But the Mesa is by far and away the best valve amp, in fact the best amp period, I have ever used. It's magical.

(I do know someone selling an AD200B though, let me know if you want a price). 

Message sent

I'm a little puzzled by Ampeg EQ being considered useless compared to Orange etc. Fair enough if you're not fond of the voicing of their amps, but I'd consider the SVT, V4B or PF50T to have among the more versatile EQs on valve amps, since they can boost or cut mids at selectable frequencies and few others can. 

On 10/05/2020 at 13:46, danbanbass said:

I'm looking at purchasing a valve bass head within the next couple of months, I've discounted Ampeg as I've owned/borrow a couple over the years which I found them  to be unreliable and the eq relatively useless too.

I like the look of the Orange AD200B but the lack of D.I puts me off, what other offerings are there?

Cab wise I'll be using an Ashdown RM610.

I use a Precision bass and play pick style.

Matamp GT200 and the Hiwatt DR201 are the best two valve heads I've used. Mesa Subway WD800 is worth looking at for something lighter. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gareth said:

I've discounted Ampeg as I've owned/borrow a couple over the years which I found them  to be unreliable and the eq relatively useless too.”

Yes I had an SVT pro 2 and it was a heap of crap 

The only Ampeg stuff I found to be any good was their Mosfet B-series stuff

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gareth said:

I've discounted Ampeg as I've owned/borrow a couple over the years which I found them  to be unreliable and the eq relatively useless too.”

Yes I had an SVT pro 2 and it was a heap of crap 

I kinda love my SVT VR 😁 It’s epically loud, sounds great and EQ is fine for what I need it for. I am looking forward to my CTM300 still though

• Like 2

1 hour ago, walshy said:

I kinda love my SVT VR 😁 It’s epically loud, sounds great and EQ is fine for what I need it for. I am looking forward to my CTM300 still though

The svt2 pro was my only ampeg experience 

it was a nightmare 

I bought it as a bridge for gigging whilst my trace Elliot v6 was repaired

it was forever blowing power valves

id be on a gig and I’d see the biasing lights change from green thru orange to red then bang and I’d have to use an old trace tranny amp

glad your experience is better than mine 

29 minutes ago, gareth said:

The svt2 pro was my only ampeg experience 

it was a nightmare 

I bought it as a bridge for gigging whilst my trace Elliot v6 was repaired

it was forever blowing power valves

id be on a gig and I’d see the biasing lights change from green thru orange to red then bang and I’d have to use an old trace tranny amp

glad your experience is better than mine 

This is the Issue I had with a Svt 2 Pro, SVT Classic and a Skunkworks Classic Head - All having new tubes and regularly serviced by different people. Same issue.

I had a Svt 5 Pro after which liked to burn out pcb boards (Ampeg replaced the first 2 under warranty and after the 2nd got replaced I got rid) a good friend of mine had the same issue with his Svt 4 Pro so he got rid of that and bought an Svt Cl which has been doing the same thing as your SVT 2 Pro.

My old SVT450 mosfet was a cracker of an amp and is still going now without any issue.

So safe to say that's put me off really......apart from the cabs which are great.

Edited by danbanbass
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, danbanbass said:

This is the Issue I had with a Svt 2 Pro, SVT Classic and a Skunkworks Classic Head - All having new tubes and serviced by different people. Same issue.

I had a Svt 5 Pro after which liked to burn out pcb boards and a good friend of mine had the same issue with his Svt 4 Pro.

So safe to say that's put me off really.

Me too 

plus I found the ampeg tone rather harsh 

9 hours ago, danbanbass said:

I liked the Svt Classic sound but after all that I had a Marshall VBA 400 for years, despite being it heavy that thing was bullet-proof.

And there’s one of those going for cheap on here at the mo!

I wouldnt be dictated by the DI - I use a Matamp GT200 which has a jack DI out, but I typically use a palmer PDI09 passive DI box (about £75) which then goes post power stage. Really simple and practical bit of kit and sound guys normally enjoy I have my own DI. 

I've also recently picked up a Torpedo CABM which provides cab and mic sim, and can sit in the same slot as my palmer - just it's powered. I use mainly for home messing around. 

...so I'd go with the amp you desire, whether orange or ampeg or ashdown, you probably wont go wrong (I'd strongly recommend Matamp though :) )

7 hours ago, Salt on your Bass? said:

I wouldnt be dictated by the DI - I use a Matamp GT200 which has a jack DI out, but I typically use a palmer PDI09 passive DI box (about £75) which then goes post power stage. Really simple and practical bit of kit and sound guys normally enjoy I have my own DI. 

I've also recently picked up a Torpedo CABM which provides cab and mic sim, and can sit in the same slot as my palmer - just it's powered. I use mainly for home messing around. 

...so I'd go with the amp you desire, whether orange or ampeg or ashdown, you probably wont go wrong (I'd strongly recommend Matamp though :) )

How do you find the pdi09 on bass? It has a built in cab sim for electric guitar that can’t be switched off so I would have expected it to produce funky results with bass

8 hours ago, Bankai said:

How do you find the pdi09 on bass? It has a built in cab sim for electric guitar that can’t be switched off so I would have expected it to produce funky results with bass

I've always found it to be good on bass and any colouration to be an acceptable shade. Sound guys have always been happy, and often complimentary, with the output and tone. I'll always lose eq control FOH and because of the venues I play, but because I use a reasonably distorted/ fuzzy tone the sim is useful so the tine is more conrolled rather than hoping a preamp signal is managed appropriately.

I've been using it for around 3 or so years now. It's always in my live rig as there's always FOH support, from pub venues, venues and festivals (like the Unicorn London, Black Heart, Sheffield O2 academy). 

I also used it in the studio on my last album in conjunction with a dry signal and it worked a treat. For me at least, it's a really cost effective and effective tool. 

Edited by Salt on your Bass?
pressed submit too early. Doh! Fat hands...