Why become a member? ×

Vintage Fender cases......!

When I bought my 5 string Yamaha, the very nice guy asked me if I wanted a case, I said yeah if you’ve got one, so he gave me the original case that was from his 1972 fender jazz, which he had sold a few days earlier, he said  the guy who bought it preferred a soft case 😯, the case is worth more than the bass 😄

4 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

When I bought my 5 string Yamaha, the very nice guy asked me if I wanted a case, I said yeah if you’ve got one, so he gave me the original case that was from his 1972 fender jazz, which he had sold a few days earlier, he said  the guy who bought it preferred a soft case 😯, the case is worth more than the bass 😄

Holy stinky poo....!  Really.....!!??

You better get a ‘72 to put in there.....!!

🙂

• Like 1

Actually, the whole issue of provenance does come into this. Hardcases don't carry serial numbers, and there are very few websites devoted to recording and analysing the tiny changes over time between various versions of any given case.

In other words, if you pay £945 for a "57 - 59 Precision case", how do you know that it wasn't made in 1984?

I'm not casting any aspersions here, and I'm certainly not suggesting that there's anything misleading or fraudulent about those eBay listings ... but how do you prove the date of an empty hardcase?

24 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

Check this, it's a very good starting point : http://www.guitarhq.com/fender.html#cases

Yup, I figured there'd be at least one. 9_9

Reading through that does tend to emphasise just how difficult it is to date a case, what with many UK basses being sold without a Fender case to start with, most genuinely old Fender cases having bits drop off them, and some designs remaining in production for over 15 years.

11 hours ago, Happy Jack said:

Actually, the whole issue of provenance does come into this. Hardcases don't carry serial numbers, and there are very few websites devoted to recording and analysing the tiny changes over time between various versions of any given case.

In other words, if you pay £945 for a "57 - 59 Precision case", how do you know that it wasn't made in 1984?

I'm not casting any aspersions here, and I'm certainly not suggesting that there's anything misleading or fraudulent about those eBay listings ... but how do you prove the date of an empty hardcase?

Amen to that.......

Somebody came to look at my ‘72 P & asked me how did I know the case was original.

I was stumped...... 

Punching him crossed my mind for a nanosecond, mind.....!!!

13 minutes ago, Chewie said:

Anything from 1969 -1972 I think......

You still looking for an Olympic white jazz, Reggae...?

Hi chewie,  yeah I have been on and off, I’ve looked at quite a few but they turned out not to be 100% original or way overpriced 🙂

18 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Hi chewie,  yeah I have been on and off, I’ve looked at quite a few but they turned out not to be 100% original or way overpriced 🙂

I’ve seen a lovely Antigua on here......!

🙂

• Like 1

On 12/05/2020 at 06:44, Chewie said:

Holy stinky poo....!  Really.....!!??

You better get a ‘72 to put in there.....!!

🙂

I have a blonde 63 Fender case and a brown 50s gig bag spare...better start looking to fill them up😀

btw the reissue case is different to an original so it’s not hard to pick the difference 

Edited by onehandclapping
Forgot a word
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Happy Jack said:

The guy sells custom shop Fenders on ebay. I know my USA 75 reissue came with a reissue case. It's pretty beat up and looks like the real deal.

Edited by gjones