Why become a member? ×

Lightweight cab from a triple bass case

BCH

On 10/05/2020 at 12:27, Steve Browning said:

Very interesting but there are no details of what the 'chargeable extras' actually are. That would be helpful (as I am interested). Do you carry it or are there any wheels (can't see any)?

Talking about the 3 bass case.

Hi Steve sorry for not replying sooner still getting used to the Bass Chat Layout and how to reply back to you guys

On 10/05/2020 at 12:27, Steve Browning said:

Very interesting but there are no details of what the 'chargeable extras' actually are. That would be helpful (as I am interested). Do you carry it or are there any wheels (can't see any)?

My Email is [email protected]

john

Thanks for the response John.

I asked for a quote for a case for 3 Precisions and, as a benchmark, the quote was £675 + delivery and VAT (if applicable). I would assume that means the delivery charge plus VAT rather than whether or not VAT is charged overall!

Hi Steve,

the Triple Bass Case takes all Standard  Bass Guitars of similar body and length dimensions but if you are unsure, you can tell me make and models and thickness of body i check it and draw the bass you have just to check, there is a good chance we have done it before.

the case does have wheels on the rear no need for Guitar Stand as the guitars are safe whilst in the open case as there is security strap hooks, totally adjustable as you wish to have the guitar in the case, has a combination lock which you will need to set on the instructions. cost is £675 plus Vat. 

The 1x12 cab that we have just launched which is the Bernard 400 Watt with Attenuator Crossover and compression driver, and only weighs 10kgs 

1x12 Bass Cab.msg Bass Case.msg

On 10/05/2020 at 14:21, ped said:

Mine’s a Fender made version which I think Scott licensed at some point (unless they ripped him off?)

The internals aren’t as advanced but it seems to hold everything securely. I’ll only have one bass soon so not really sure why I have it still. 

B190CA5F-DE7E-494A-917C-6BE8F7ED11FF.jpeg

If you need the case converting to the newer version we an acommadate you we are in Hull

drop it off go shopping and collect later 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, John Dixon said:

If you need the case converting to the newer version we an acommadate you we are in Hull

drop it off go shopping and collect later 

Thanks, good to know. I’m in Pocklington so fairly close!

On 12/05/2020 at 21:18, TheGreek said:

Were these featured at the LBGS a few years ago.

I think I was looking at something similar with @Lozz196.

Hello The Greek

Yes they were abs the 2 x10 & 1x15 Bass Cabs did the show 3 years on the trot we will be there

on the next one if it ever gets open again after all this Covid19

you can call or email me  [email protected] 

John 

• 2 weeks later...

Update on aluminium wedge cab....

..after testing the first production unit, which I was very happy with, John Dixon decided to increase the sealing with custom gaskets, something he developed when supplying the US airforce. Because the cab volume &  port is optimised for the Celestion BN12-300S, in theory the cab efficiency/clarity should improve. 

I & a bass mate in Birmingham received the new version 10 days ago and after playing with a variety of basses and cab comparisons...the theory is reality..we are both v'pleased. 

Sound is subjective...(I use it for monitoring +DI & small venues) ...so all I can say is I can achieve all the sounds & volume I need with more depth & clarity than the cab's I have had (Ashdown, Greenboy, Quilter, Agular, EA, etc)....and the cab is only 11.5kg. (see pic's on page 1) Lid is ~1.5kg

John, has designed a 1x10 + compression driver, which I'm looking forward to trying.

John is a founder of Scott Dixon, I am a customer & have no commercial interest (except paying the invoice!)

Hey all,

I thought I would jump on here and give my views too.  As above, I have had the pleasure of using this cab for some weeks now and it is exactly what it says on the tin!  Firstly, lets talk about the physical form.  The cab itself is pretty compact, with enough volume to manage the 12inch driver (more on that in a bit).  The aluminium construction provides an outer surface that I could honestly see lasting for many many years to come and with the locking lid, you could just check it in when flying abroad.  The front grill, pressed out of a single sheet will take some kicking before you would be able to damage the speaker and the horn is extremely well protected - peeking through a small 10 pence hole.  The option to have it flat vs tilt-back gives you the versatility, especially when used as a fold-back monitor.

Now, the sound.  It's hard to explain.  The range is pretty remarkable.  Using a range of basses, 4 and 5 string ( for those B string lows) the cab seems to handle all that you send to it.  The highs are stunning and the range that the 12inch neo speaker, ensures that you get all that you need from around 50Hz upwards.  You end up with pretty tight sounding all round and very controlled. The cab would handle reasonable size halls easily, and all pub venues will be well within its reach, even without a front PA/ house setup.  

I think the proof of the pudding is in the eating as they say, so if you are in the market for new cab, even if you are thinking of 15inch speaker, give John a call, try it.  I think you may, just may, be surprised. 

A worthy addition to the low end keeper's community.💪

• 5 months later...

UPDATE:  What about something different ? a 10" + compressor ( Celestion), wedge 350w .Only 9kg......Made by Scott Dixon from aircraft aluminum ....its very stiff & air tight to military spec so the vent works correctly 

I helped design and test (I have no financial interest) I have been using for 5 months in covid safe rehearsals and it has been awesome. Its tight full & loud, compact and my back is delighted....the band love it, I also have the 12" version but pref' the 10".  As you can see in the pic's it can be wedge or straight. Hope it helpsIMG_1683.thumb.jpg.8a7d9e95e4f43e6700086b5086109999.jpgIMG_1553.thumb.jpg.f861e3adbea41bf55ff91b2d6a8e2052.jpgIMG_1578.thumb.jpg.ddcfb66703331b978e109781d17e24b8.jpg

• Like 4

4 hours ago, eude said:

How would you describe the difference in sound?

Lovely cabs by the way!

Eude

I A/B'd the cabs against Greenboy 12", Quilter 2x10" & Agular 12" & 2x12". They beat them all on any setting and multiple basses. The sound is clear, full & deep a bass pro who also tested described it as tight & rich. We discussed with John Dixon of Scott Dixon and we are convinced its down to 3 features....

1. Exact volume specified by the Celestion for each size

2. Exact port volume for neutral pressure...this results in fast response, very noticeable with the 10" which goes to 40hz

3. Sealing of all joints & hols etc....John has experience in sealing for air & water tight military cases

I have had many cabs in my time these are best at accurate bass sound at low med & higher volumes (within there rating) They are not trowser flappers...but because of the clarity less vol is needed....hope that helps...B

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chris_b said:

The website is a PIA. Doesn’t mention some of the cabs people apparently have bought and I couldn’t find a price list.

They are hand made to order or small batches...contact John Dixon (who is a member) 07964 948476..best....Bernard

Edited by BCH
correction

2 hours ago, BCH said:

I A/B'd the cabs against Greenboy 12", Quilter 2x10" & Agular 12" & 2x12". They beat them all on any setting and multiple basses. The sound is clear, full & deep a bass pro who also tested described it as tight & rich. We discussed with John Dixon of Scott Dixon and we are convinced its down to 3 features....

1. Exact volume specified by the Celestion for each size

2. Exact port volume for neutral pressure...this results in fast response, very noticeable with the 10" which goes to 40hz

3. Sealing of all joints & hols etc....John has experience in sealing for air & water tight military cases

I have had many cabs in my time these are best at accurate bass sound at low med & higher volumes (within there rating) They are not trowser flappers...but because of the clarity less vol is needed....hope that helps...B

Also....the cab is so ridged no energy distortion or buzz...BUT light 10" 9kg + lid cover...John has the 10" & 12" in stock  (message him as a member, I'm encouraging him to also join as a commercial supplier)...one of the 10" is in British racing green....John pls add a pic of this!!!!

22 hours ago, BCH said:

They are hand made to order or small batches...contact John Dixon (who is a member) 07964 948476..best....Bernard

Sorry, but that doesn't work for me. I'm just browsing and I want to see specs, pictures and prices before I start making phone calls to anyone.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, BCH said:

Understood, will let him know..... John is in discussion with a pro Web builder, to provide a full spec...but money is tight in this lockdown!...will see what is available...thx for interest

I’ve emailed a few times and never heard back. Tbh he could make a website on Wix for free that’s twice as good! I’ll do it for him!

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, ped said:

I’ve emailed a few times and never heard back. Tbh he could make a website on Wix for free that’s twice as good! I’ll do it for him!

Very true. I'm a graphic designer and as much as there's a lot more you can do than Wix and Squarespace, for a basic site, you can't really go wrong with these web building sites, silly to pay pro money when you don't need a pro site.

Cheers.

• Like 1

Hey we have been testing the Scott dixon bass cabs here in  Down under Australia and we have made some videos

if you like to know how they sound like for bass guitars we used a MTD usa made 5 string bass  a spellbinder 2 .and a custom build Jazz bass by a local builder  hope you like the videos for any other question pleas ask John or my self .

On 07/06/2020 at 14:56, BCH said:

Update on aluminium wedge cab....

..after testing the first production unit, which I was very happy with, John Dixon decided to increase the sealing with custom gaskets, something he developed when supplying the US airforce. Because the cab volume &  port is optimised for the Celestion BN12-300S, in theory the cab efficiency/clarity should improve. 

I & a bass mate in Birmingham received the new version 10 days ago and after playing with a variety of basses and cab comparisons...the theory is reality..we are both v'pleased. 

Sound is subjective...(I use it for monitoring +DI & small venues) ...so all I can say is I can achieve all the sounds & volume I need with more depth & clarity than the cab's I have had (Ashdown, Greenboy, Quilter, Agular, EA, etc)....and the cab is only 11.5kg. (see pic's on page 1) Lid is ~1.5kg

John, has designed a 1x10 + compression driver, which I'm looking forward to trying.

John is a founder of Scott Dixon, I am a customer & have no commercial interest (except paying the invoice!)

• 2 weeks later...