Why become a member? ×

Lightweight cab from a triple bass case

BCH

I wanted to share...I have no commercial link with Scot Dixon, I am a customer only and have encouraged them to join BC as a commercial member & bass player. 

https://www.scottdixoninc.com/

Context...I have a bad back and always looking for light gear....I ordered a Scott Dixon triple case for 2 basses & Acoustic (6 or 4 string)...have been using for 7 months & cant do without it! They are fantastic quality, easy to handle, light & I don't have to carry 3 bulky bass case's and the case is on stage, so no stands . 

John Dixon constructs his kit from 2.4mm aircraft aluminium, all hand made so small batch / custom made.

John delivered and mentioned he made bass cab's, the weight was amazing but not quite what I wanted (I was using Green boy & Quilter 2x10) 

I wanted to retain the quality of sound of the existing cabs but light weight & easy to handle (Celestion 1x12 BN12-300S with compression driver) that could easily go from wedge to straight depending on venues & could be stacked if 2 cabs used. I gave aprox' dimensions & John designed & built 2 prototypes, 6 months trial & !!!! (see pic 's) which John, I and a my local gear provider (bass player) tested with various amps basses & tracks. The first production unit arrived last week with all the changes suggested, we have all used and are delighted...Solid (ridged & sealed) deep clear and open sound. This will always be subjective & no its not a trouser flapper. The cab is ~11.5kg & lid ~1.5kg.

This will be my cab of choice and my back is delighted

99c1a0af-7dbd-4612-bf3a-abefd826aa22.thumb.jpg.ecc3478e95c3927ee3fc68a900152f2c.jpgIMG_1553_jpg.thumb.gif.2d938d70c5c5e5068f82a062e3591ebd.gifIMG_1580.thumb.jpg.f43251493f927699eaca7f85fc808a9b.jpgIMG_1579.thumb.jpg.3434b7acc1fa42e78b975fa3b9d95801.jpgIMG_1578.thumb.jpg.daa2fa94973852a41b4b01b4f65808ed.jpg

• Like 4

Very interesting but there are no details of what the 'chargeable extras' actually are. That would be helpful (as I am interested). Do you carry it or are there any wheels (can't see any)?

Talking about the 3 bass case.

Edited by Steve Browning

46 minutes ago, grenadillabama said:

They look great ! I would worry that at a loud gig the head might slip off . Could it be leveled with some bracket or strap ? 

I've cheated and put larger feet on the front of the amp with narrow scores to anchor to the lip...or...IMG_1543.thumb.jpeg.79a17fa17a72a62644b71241a42abdde.jpeg 

48 minutes ago, Steve Browning said:

Very interesting but there are no details of what the 'chargeable extras' actually are. That would be helpful (as I am interested). Do you carry it or are there any wheels (can't see any)?

Talking about the 3 bass case.

Wheels on the bottom and handle on top...talk to John 079649476...as he will want to know what guitars

8c8746bc-f9cd-4e95-aae0-c9b4a9427748.jpg

aaa309a6-365e-4719-a63a-a71b86cb78b7.jpg

29 minutes ago, ped said:

Amazing! I’ve got a 3 bass case and it’s superb, and takes up much less room than a bass rack. Love this idea.. imagine if it clipped to the bass case 😂

Now, thats an idea!

1 hour ago, chris_b said:

He's going to loose possible sales if he doesn't put prices on his website.

I can only share my experience. ..

3 guitar case: No std stock (just demo) I provided John with make/model and sizes of guitars. He gave final size/weight & cost inc head restraint system. I ordered it was added to the production schedule, cut and hand built in his factory over 2 days.

1x12 Bass cab....this could be costed and priced with extras. The design was completed and signed off yesterday (Sat 9th May 2020) so I'm sure John will review the costings etc....we need to encourage development & support craftspeople such as John...as we do bass Luther's 

• Like 1

Mine’s a Fender made version which I think Scott licensed at some point (unless they ripped him off?)

The internals aren’t as advanced but it seems to hold everything securely. I’ll only have one bass soon so not really sure why I have it still. 

B190CA5F-DE7E-494A-917C-6BE8F7ED11FF.jpeg

I love those bass coffins - if I were still in a touring band I’d have considered getting one, make so much sense, less bulky cases, both/all instruments on stage and ready to go, plus secure in back of vans etc.

1 minute ago, Lozz196 said:

I love those bass coffins - if I were still in a touring band I’d have considered getting one, make so much sense, less bulky cases, both/all instruments on stage and ready to go, plus secure in back of vans etc.

Thats what I have found also our rodie cant break it!!! one benefit many people miss...I am the oldest member of the band and will prob' died at a gig...so the case is self addressed so they can just fold me in and post

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, BCH said:

Thats correct...its easy to solve...you need more basses!!!!! and John has the new head and bottom restraints available...ha

I’ve just gone from loads back to one and I have no intention to go back up again! Although I could do with a fretless, and maybe a five string with a six string too, and a backup for my actual bass... 🤦🏻‍♂️

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, BCH said:

UPDATE...apologies the aircraft aluminium is 1.2mm NOT 2.4mm the baffle is ~3mm 

This is the m/c that stamps out the sheet parts for a triple case in 10 min's

17 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

They’re about £400 for the triple cases?

Which when you think about it isn’t that bad, a Mono M80 is near £200. Not that M80s arent good, they are, just different tools for different jobs.

2 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Which when you think about it isn’t that bad, a Mono M80 is near £200. Not that M80s arent good, they are, just different tools for different jobs.

Yeah - should’ve ordered the fender ones when I worked in a shop, think they worked out at just over £300 trade.

In saying that - it was about 10 years ago