Why become a member? ×

What do people think of Peavey?

sirmontofgue

One of may fave bass sounds I have ever come up with is my Jazz through a Peavey Bandit amplifier - I know its for guitar but honestly it was brilliant, with a touch of the built in reverb, rear pickup only - it was so focused and tight it was just magical!

The peavey trans-tube stuff is excellent, and I have playes a Firebass and 810 a few times which sounded excellent.

[quote name='ped' post='45732' date='Aug 15 2007, 12:37 PM']One of may fave bass sounds I have ever come up with is my Jazz through a Peavey Bandit amplifier - I know its for guitar but honestly it was brilliant, with a touch of the built in reverb, rear pickup only - it was so focused and tight it was just magical!

The peavey trans-tube stuff is excellent, and I have playes a Firebass and 810 a few times which sounded excellent.[/quote]

Peavey gets a vote of confidence from me too. I used to use a Mark 8 head and a 410 cab, and it was great stuff. I sold it to a student, who thought it was great too. I think for the most part it's well made, sensibly priced gear.

Stu

[quote name='nick' post='45730' date='Aug 15 2007, 12:36 PM']If you were that bothered by the name, you could always take the horrible, dated logo off the front grill. That's what I always used to do.[/quote]Yup, I did that too on my 4x10s. They looked loads better. They were great cabs, but the weight was ridiculous... I sold them to downsize.
The T-Max, what a superb amp that was.

yeah Peavey is good, reliable stuff without a doubt. I've had a couple of Peavey set ups in the past, and as has already been mentioned its pretty much indestructable.

Hve to confess to being a bit of a 'gear snob' myself (not that I'm really in a position to be with my beaten up old rig etc!!) but 99% of people aren't gonna know or even care what make your bass amp is! Also there are actually alot of pro players who use/endorse the peavey range..Joe Satriani has a signature amp head for example and i think even Stu Hamm has moved over to peavey bass rigs(?).

peace

c

[quote name='3V17C' post='45809' date='Aug 15 2007, 01:47 PM']i think even Stu Hamm has moved over to peavey bass rigs(?).[/quote]Nope, not any more. [url="http://www.stuarthamm.net/rig.php"]This from an unofficial Stu Hamm website.[/url]

Yup, £300 is a bargain for a Peavey rig of that power (as long as there's nothing wrong with it!). I used Peavey stuff for years in my pub rock band and it always did the job for me. I only moved away from Peavey when I discovered Bassworld, had an attack of GAS and decided to become an 'amp snob'!!

+1 on the advice to spend money on a decent bass to play through it. A Stingray or decent Fender through a Peavey will sound a lot bbetter than a cheaper bass through a more expensive amp.

[quote name='G-bitch' post='45715' date='Aug 15 2007, 12:22 PM']If you get a used sansamp (about £100), you'll be wetting yourself with laughter when there is little discernable difference between your peavey rig and the other guys £1k plus Ampeg set-up. Your DI will probably sound better too.[/quote]

+1 for that!

Simply use a Sansamp BDDI for the tone..... and the power stage of the Peavey amp for the power and reliability.

Win/Win situation...

I sound engineer with a band and a bassist i work with has one of the cheaper peaveys, i hate the thing tbh, ive had to pull it apart and fix the input several times because it was not attached well. The sound isnt great and it isnt very loud for a 75w (my 30w is louder). Ashdown has my vote for the bang for the buck.

[quote name='charic' post='45923' date='Aug 15 2007, 05:00 PM']I sound engineer with a band and a bassist i work with has one of the cheaper peaveys, i hate the thing tbh, ive had to pull it apart and fix the input several times because it was not attached well. The sound isnt great and it isnt very loud for a 75w (my 30w is louder). Ashdown has my vote for the bang for the buck.[/quote]

Gigging with a 75 watt amp and a sound engineer...

My current rig is a TNT150BW combo + a TE BLX80 combo.

The TNT is actually my dad's. He bought it maybe 15 years ago and spent 4 years doing weddings, functions and occasional pub gigs every weekend.

It lay in his darkroom till my current band got going two years ago and I've been using it for all my pub/club gigs since starting that.

[b]PROS:[/b]
Rock solid.
100% reliable. Never needed any repair for anything, with the exception of my then 2 year-old daughter connecting the pre-amp output to its own power output (or something similar).
Really versatile. I'm able to get many fine sounds out of it without the BLX connected.

[b]CONS:[/b]
F*!king heavy!
Not at all cool.
Really heavy.
Bottom-end dominated sound, though this isn't cos it's a Peavey - it's cos it's a 1x15" combo. This is why I also use the BLX.
It's really heavy.

I had been hankering after a Tour 450 head & TVX410 4ohm cab for a while. The versatility and reliability is what's drawing me. But I've recently been getting very interested and active/vocal about calming down our on-stage volume at gigs and streamlining our personal gear & the PA & lighting stuff too.

A 4x10 weighing 102lbs (over 7 stone FFS!) doesn't fit into that direction. Our guitarist has just agreed to revert back (from his 120w Peavy XXX valve head & 4x12" cab + separate Boss pedals) to using his Marshall 100w 2x12" Valvestate & his Digitech GNX4 multi-FX in support of my determination to streamline everything, so it'd be against where I want us to go if I opted to go for a 7 stone cab.

So it looks like I'll be aiming for something like an Eden Nemesis NC210 or RS210.

If the TVX wasn't so heavy, that would be my first choice.

Mark

Incredible reliability, solid tone, excellent value for money. Their white papers are very informative too:

[url="http://www.peavey.com/support/technotes/"]http://www.peavey.com/support/technotes/[/url]

And now they're getting more into gear that doesn't weigh as much as a baby elephant I think they're very seriously worth considering regardless of one's brand snobbery.

Alex

I'll second (or third or fourth) what's been said about reliability- my MAX 700 has been gigged very hard for a couple of years now, and has never misbehaved once. I've mentioned this before on the old forum, but some chimp threw the head off a ferry onto a concrete quayside- and even that didn't break it...

I run it into a 410 TVX and have recently scored a 115 BX on the fleabay...I can't see myself changing this rig anytime soon:)

Although, yeah, it's all hideously heavy!

Soundwise, I was very interested to read you guys using the Sansamp to liven it up a bit. Coincidentally, I have a Sansamp programmable Bass Driver on the way. I have always thought the Peavey, although fantastically powerful, was a bit lacking in personality so was looking for a way of getting a bit more grind...will report back.

Anyway, I loves me some Peavey :)

Cheers,

Si

Its all been said but to add my 2p worth, I had the actual experience of my amp -- a Carlsbro special -- smoking and farting out on stage - no back ups, no other band's gear to borrow - it was horrible. i went out next day and bought a Peavey MarkIV second hand, 15 years ago and have never had so much as blown fuse. (OK one plastic knob on an eq band has been lost somewhere down the line). that amp has been in and out of so many practice rooms and gigs i can't count. The eq is so versatile you can cover most sounds, and now I use a DHA valve pedal as well I'm like a pig in muck

I can honestly say I've never played a different amp and been more impressed (have tried the usual Trace, Ampeg etc on shared gigs). Go for it.

I have a Peavey 1 x 15 combo, it could be TNT 150, i'm not sure. I use the crossover though, which is not the most common feature on amps. With the 1 x 15 and my johnson 2 x 12 guitar combo, I have an great sounding, and loud rig. With my Trace 1 x 18 1 x 10 exstension cab plugged into the back of the peavey as well, I have an amazing sound, and plenty of headroom.

So, yeh, I rate Peavey very highly, especially if you don't have much cash. I can only afford cheap gear, but i'd have to do a hell of a lot of searching to replace this with something better.

I used a Peavey Nitro head which I hired for most of my initial gigs when I moved to Norwich and it sounded great. It was used every day in a rehearsal studio too. Indestructable and did a great job at sounding like a bass amp should.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='sirmontofgue' post='60243' date='Sep 14 2007, 09:01 AM']Guys,

Thanks for all your replies and help. I bought the lot for just under £300 and have since gigged it. It is a fantastic set up and [b]gives me a testicle shaking lower end[/b], and a lovely warm top, which is great for a blues/rock band.

Once again thanks[/quote]
Always a good sign. Congratulations on the new rig :)

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='45331' date='Aug 14 2007, 05:14 PM']You're likely to find that there'll not be a bad word said about Peavey gear... no-one will probably wax lyrical about it either but it is cracking value and about as robust as they come![/quote]

My Ex guitarist used to slag off my peavey left right & center cause its not Ampeg, but he was a complete vintage goon. Everything he owned was vintage. He was very anal about it all.
He couldn't understand why i'd want a 500watt Peavey when i could get a 100watt Ampeg Solid State. Then again, maybe that was just me missing the point. Not like i use the Peavey pre-amp anyway.

What do you Peavey users think of the 410 TVX? Im using one with various heads and Im becoming more convinced by it all the time, particularly as a stand alone 410.

I was toying with getting an Ampeg 410HLF, but Ive heard some compare the TVX to it. I like a sort of Duck Dunn/Tommy Shannon tone.

What would I gain, some wheels????

Morning Doctor,

I have a 410TVX, which is used for all of my pub-gigs as a stand alone cab, and is teamed up with a 115BX for the bigger ones.

To be honest it was the first cabinet I ever bought so I can't offer an opinion on how it stacks up against the Ampeg...however, it does exactly what I want it to do, i.e., cream out big smooth clean tone, with no sign of fuzziness even when I'm cranking it. Sound engineers like my rig, and another local bassist is happy to use it when we occasionally share backline (and here's a guy who's usually tooled up with Mesa gear).

I thought about "upgrading" to Ampeg cabs, but couldn't help concluding the main thing I'd gain was some bar-room bragging rights :)

Cheers!

Si

Edited by Clydefrog

My thoughts exactly Si.

I think that it is also fine for bigger gigs as I normally DI then and the rig just becomes a stage monitor, although I have added a 210 and it sounds great onstage at outdoor gigs!

Just for reference the rig is an SWR Grand Prix pre, QSC 1450 power amp into the TVX. 78 P Bass into this is awesome!!