Why become a member? ×

Headstock Badge

donslow

Hey all, I’m about to embark on a bit of a project piece (with the help of our very own @Andyjr1515) and am looking for a bit of help if possible....

I’m looking at modifying and painting and old Ibanez SR300 that I have 

I plan on painting the headstock to match the body (already does but I’m looking at different colours) I’ve been looking all over the internet but can’t seem to find anyone that does replacement headstock badges/decals for the SDGR range, 

I did find one place that does water slide decals and have emailed them about doing a metallic / shiney / reflective one but 2 weeks later have had no answer back. Tried emailing Ibanez themselves but again, no reply at all!

does anyone know where I can source one from or does anyone have the know how to make one up at all?!

any help is massively appreciated, have attached a picture of the existing for your viewing pleasures / reference

A4F7B8E9-7B55-4C95-974A-2D621D150AF4.jpeg

I just sent him a link to a picture I found on the internet of what I needed and told him the size and colours and he did the rest. 

Good luck with the project, another Andy build thread to follow hopefully. 🙂

• Like 1

Ah unfortunately it’s nothing that involved or complicated, he’s just going to fill the existing pickup routes on my sr300 and re-route for a PJ configuration. I plan to paint the body, neck and headstock all black and that’s about as exciting as it gets really

still trying to decide whether I want to retain black hardware or go for gold

Going away from the decal topic, but are the filled pickup routes going to be covered by a scratchplate or anything? 

The reason I ask is that if you have two edges of wood butted up against each other, no matter how tightly fitted or well glued, once filled over and painted you will more than likely still see the line between the woods, made even more visable by being black. Worst case scenario is that there will be ever so slight movement, expanding/shrinking between the two woods causing your filler to crack. Tapering the edges can help, but it's always a risk. 

Apologies if you already know this or have a different plan. 🙂

Thankyou for the heads up, no need to apologise! The point you made had been mentioned previously by someone else also, not really something I had considered previously to be honest

after mulling it over, think I’m gonna go with the plan of just painting, see how it goes, if it does start getting a bit ugly I think I’ll consider the pickguard route then but for now, think I’m just gonna see what happens really

• Like 1

Another option would be for Andy to put a thin vaneer on the top and stain or paint that black, but the SR is quite curvy so might not be possible. 

Good luck with whatever you go for.