Why become a member? ×

Variax Bass Electronics in a Non Variax Bass

barlemniscate

That looks good. However I never use any of the controls on my guitars or basses once I have found a setting that gives me a sound I like. Everything else is done via programmable effects controlled from a footswitch or automated from the backing track.

2 hours ago, EMG456 said:

This sort of installation keeps it out of the way and lets you see what you need or don't need without permanently disfiguring the instrument.

20200514_100453380_iOS.jpg

20200514_100514255_iOS.jpg

Y'know - I've never thought of putting the control panel on the back!

(I have a pickup on a MIM Strat.)

1 hour ago, prowla said:

Y'know - I've never thought of putting the control panel on the back!

(I have a pickup on a MIM Strat.)

I did that for a while (even but a hole in my case so the bass still fit inside) but ended up doing an internal install on both basses because I liked it so much. 99% of the time I play clean with it bypassed (though I still use the VB99 as my pre-amp/multi fx/audio interface because it's amazing).

When you do the internal install you can choose what you want to add to your instrument, from just the pickup and the 13 pin output to adding an assignable knob, two buttons, an LED and a mix switch. 

1 hour ago, ped said:

Why does everyone say it’s a MIDI system! 

Because they are all idiots. :D

Well, people use the wrong terms for everything, sometimes even the opposite thing and once you have been told a wrong term, its what you tend to use. I suppose you can validly call it a midi system, as if you want a midi out of a bass, it is a part of what you need to do it. Like a seat is actually part of a car system.

Edited by Woodinblack
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

In the search for a suitable pickup system to use with Bass VIs, I have been directed to the Cycfi Research and Ubertar web sites.

I'll be waiting until I actually get the Eastwood bass before progressing any further, as I'll need to see if it really is the Bass Vi for me, and also I'll need actual string spacing and body clearance measurements rather than relying on what has been posted on the Eastwood Customs site, in order to see if a suitable pickup assembly can be constructed to fit this instrument.

Edited by BigRedX

44 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

In the search for a suitable pickup system to use with Bass VIs, I have been directed to the Cycfi Research and Ubertar web sites.

I'll be waiting until I actually get the Eastwood bass before progressing any further, as I'll need to see if it really is the Bass Vi for me, and also I'll need actual string spacing and body clearance measurements rather than relying on what has been posted on the Eastwood Customs site, in order to see if a suitable pickup assembly can be constructed to fit this instrument.

Sounds good, although the first place looks expensive!

On the other hand, I have often though of just putting a guitar synth on a guitar and using that for bass. Seems like it would probably be easier to trigger with the higher frequencies, this is if all I wanted was what teh synth was offering, and not just 'as well as the bass' thing.

But I bought my pickup so I could take it apart and put it on the Chapman stick, so I guess I just need to learn to play that more!

1 hour ago, Woodinblack said:

Sounds good, although the first place looks expensive!

On the other hand, I have often though of just putting a guitar synth on a guitar and using that for bass. Seems like it would probably be easier to trigger with the higher frequencies, this is if all I wanted was what teh synth was offering, and not just 'as well as the bass' thing.

But I bought my pickup so I could take it apart and put it on the Chapman stick, so I guess I just need to learn to play that more!

I'm not really interested in the pitch conversion capabilities. IME even on a guitar it requires too much of a change in my playing technique to the point where I might as well use a keyboard to control the sounds. What I'm looking for is to be able to use the modelling capabilities which work by processing the audio rather than using it drive VCOs/DCOs to allow me to do things like change sounds on the Bass VI simply by changing to a different string, without needing to change patches pickups selection etc.

• Like 1