Why become a member? ×

Lockdown Project - Neck Decisions

ZenBasses

And so it begins, I originally posted this in the wrong Forum , apologies

I have just got delivered a Squire  77 Vintage Modified body that's fully loaded

https://photos.app.goo.gl/vgwRnZsPCeJXUYHC9

From a previous project that never was I have a J Retro and a set of Nordstrand J pups

All to do is add a neck now; and there are a couple of choices

Option 1.

I was thinking of going with a Faux Maple 20 fret neck from Status

8591-no-logo.jpg

Rob has quotes me £550 for a Jazz neck in Faux Maple with Black Blocks and pre-installed Gotoh tuners and the Nut pre-cut to Squire/Fender Specs for 45 - 105 strings (my preferred gauge). Lead time 4-6 weeks

Options 2.

Get a Roasted Maple 20 fret Neck and then fit all the appropriate hardware and have it setup by Single Coil in Leeds (when permitted)

I don't have all the tools and I know the Fender necks can require quite a bit of nut work so by the time I have bought all the tools I might as well get someone else to do it 

Pricing it up the Status neck works out around £90 more expensive when everything is said and done. That would mean I have enough left over to replace the bridge with a Hipshot, Gotoh, Schaller or Fender high mass.

Alternatively there is Warmoth but I feel their lead time has be been really impacted by COVID-19

Opinions ?

Go Wood or Go Carbon ?

Edited by ZenBasses
  • Like 1

How much is the faux maple adding to the Status? The Gotoh machine heads are a good idea IMHO they are the best you can buy. As for the bridge, again IMHO tyhe good old bent bit of tin is just as good as many a "high mass"  bridge so ugrade the bridge for cosmetic reasons as it is the ugrade with the worst payback.

Status. I would not save here, as that neck will be the sound. Reliable, ultra stable, worth every £. Of course the wooden sounds £90 cheaper now, but if you buy it now and the Status later on, you have actually lost £460. Well, you sell it for £230, but still no.

Personally I do not like that faux, my choice has been black with no front dots, but this depends on the body colour. By the way, my second (MM) neck's back was tinted (extra) and has matt surface (extra). Works like a dream. Strings can be set very low, like with my Vigier. I have actually changed the body once, but I won't part with the neck.

An extra nice touch from Status: Rob answered my questions via email and Dawn called me personally, when the neck was ready to ship. Talk about customer service.

Edited by itu
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, SpondonBassed said:

You've done this before right?

It's pretty much a kit build so I would go for the inexpensive option with a view to upgrading the neck at a future date if you feel it is worth the extra.

This would be my second venture :) I was going to build a Jazz bass about 6 years ago but due to financial issues way back then I didn't complete and sold everything bar the pickups and the J Retro. Both were 2nd hand at the time. Once I decide on the neck I don't plan to initially rip out the current pups and circuitry, it may be perfect find then I can move them pups and J Retro on and harvest some ££ back. I may not even change the bridge, I'll only replace it if needed. My thought process was the neck is the one thing you are constantly in contact with so if the £££ had to be spent then that's where Id spend it.

6 hours ago, itu said:

Status. I would not save here, as that neck will be the sound. Reliable, ultra stable, worth every £. Of course the wooden sounds £90 cheaper now, but if you buy it now and the Status later on, you have actually lost £460. Well, you sell it for £230, but still no.

Personally I do not like that faux, my choice has been black with no front dots, but this depends on the body colour. By the way, my second (MM) neck's back was tinted (extra) and has matt surface (extra). Works like a dream. Strings can be set very low, like with my Vigier. I have actually changed the body once, but I won't part with the neck.

An extra nice touch from Status: Rob answered my questions via email and Dawn called me personally, when the neck was ready to ship. Talk about customer service.

My house is not most the atmospherically sound due to the Half Brick Half PVC construction. I have a GB IV with a 1 piece maple neck and single action truss rod and it moves around like no-ones business. I've just converted the spare room to an office (these current times forced me to actually do it)and have placed some dehumidifying catchers within the room. My Shuker is pretty solid but it does have a dual action truss rod and Jon has neck strengtheners in his necks. I was hoping the Status neck would be rock solid and really give a unique tone.

I am still o0o0ing and ahhhHHhing over the Faux Maple, I was kinda going for the classic 70's look with maple neck with block inlays. I may get a black with white blocks. Tell me more about the matt surface? is this like a Satin finish rather than gloss.

Edited by ZenBasses

7 minutes ago, ZenBasses said:

Tell me more about the matt surface? is this like a Satin finish rather than gloss.

Yes please, the right term is satin! Feels good. The area where I live, both the temperature and the humidity change a lot. CF is the word for me in necks. I have a Modulus, a Vigier and a Status. Talk about stable stuff. Status is the only one with that nice satin finish. Please contact people at Status for the options.

My Affirma was a temp sensor, although my locally made fretless (baltic birch) is very stable.

So , I have done a compete U turn as Rob wanted 6-8 weeks for production and adding all the costs together ve practicality I decided to order a Vintage Gloss neck from Northwestguitarst with a set of chrome Wilkinson tuners

They are a pretty good match 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Bq7Mj6yobcRHs57z6

First initial impressions is the neck is well made and finished there is a slightly mark at the heal end I am in contact with them about but all seems good in terms of fit and colour match 

I have a few more tools coming to fit everything but should be good 

• Like 1

Now complete bit I haven't swapped out the electronics or pickups yet

https://photos.app.goo.gl/JfHwkNKkoNLY1ivQA

I had to sand the machine head holes with a file to get the bushes to fit 

For the machine head holes I got the string groove slots in line and used a metal ruler in its plastic sleeve plus duck tape to push into the gaps and make it easier 

I drilled the machine heads hole with 1.5mm drill bit and waxed up the screws

They were tight and started to blow the gloss finish so I re drilled at 2mm and all was fine 

Action is really low , I need to sort the nut and the saddle height out  but it's tuned up , stable and plays really well

So far so good 😀

Edited by ZenBasses
  • Like 1