Why become a member? ×

Dusty Springfield

thebrig

I watched the Dusty documentary followed by her TV performances on BBC4 last night and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Back in the 60s/70s, I was too wrapped up in the genre I liked (classic rock, blues rock, southern rock, etc) to take too much notice of her, but listening to her and watching her last night made me realise what a great voice she had, and such a great performer too.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, whynot said:

Watched both as well. I think as we get older we appreciate natural talent more, even if not your thing.

Definitely this.

I'm old enough to remember her with The Springfields, and they seemed to be on almost every other evening on the current affairs programme Tonight, the folk stuff just wasn't me so sub-subconsciously, I probably didn't give Dusty a chance after she left them to pursue her solo career.

My wife enjoyed last night too, so I might get some of her albums to widen our musical tastes, it will make a change from what we usually listen to. 🙂

Dusty was amazing. Without doubt one of the finest female vocalists of our time. I love pretty much everything she did ( with the exception of the Pet Shop Boys collaboration ), especially her wonderful cover of Carole King’s ‘Goin Back’ . Unfortunately never got to see her live though. Absolute legend.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, chris_b said:

Dusty was instrumental in bringing over the Motown Revue when they toured the UK and took over Ready Steady Go in 1965.

Apparently, she was very well respected amongst many of the Motown artists and was great friends with Martha Reeves

For a boy growing up in suburban Sydney Australia, a middle class woman from London opened the door to southern soul and RnB for me via Son of a Preacher Man.

Thanks Dusty

Edited by OzJzF
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Piers_Williamson said:

Dusty was also Ealing's other claim to fame (apart from the R&B Club).  Her first job was working in Squires Music Shop next to the Town Hall

I used to buy my strings from Squires!

56 minutes ago, Len_derby said:

Oh, there was plenty of drivel around then too, believe me. 😀

Yep. Thankfully we don't get yodelling in songs anymore or "funny" noises from the sounds department or whimsical ditties from ageing comedians.

We can choose which music we listen to these days and we never have to listen to "drivel". Back in the day, if you wanted to hear the latest Joe Cocker song you had to sit through children's choirs, brass bands and singing nuns.

It was no fun being discerning a music fan back then. You needed  to be patient and long suffering to get to the few gems that were broadcast.

Edited by chris_b
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, chris_b said:

Yep. Thankfully we don't get yodelling in songs anymore or "funny" noises from the sounds department or whimsical ditties.

We can choose which music we listen to these days and we never have to listen to "drivel". Back in the day, if you wanted to hear the latest Joe Cocker song you had to sit through children's choirs, brass bands and singing nuns.

It was no fun being discerning a music fan back then. You needed  to be patient and long suffering to get to the few gems that were broadcast.

Ah yes, the Golden Days of wireless. It does something long-lasting to your head though.

About a month ago, for no discernible reason, the song ‘My Bruvver’ by Terry Scott came into my head. Scary.

1 hour ago, Len_derby said:

But surely beauty is in the eye of the beholder?

I’m sure there are folks, apart from the writer and performer,  who liked listening to Grandad, Grandma we love you, Mr Blobby, the Floral dance (vocal version...) etc, etc!

(anyone else remember Mike Sarne and Wendy Richard's “Come Outside”?)

Edited by Baxlin

2 hours ago, la bam said:

Makes me sad listening to the absolute quality here, compared to the drivel we get treated to nowadays.

2 hours ago, Len_derby said:

Just take a quick listen to Pick of the Pops Take 2 (if it still exists) to hear how awful the vast bulk of pop music has been throughout the decades (and that's from a fan of pop music).