Why become a member? ×

Dawsons... Hopefully others won't follow

Ant1972

Any non-essential sectors of the economy will be hit very hard this year. Unless they've got robust online markets, I cant imagine many music gear retailers surviving beyond the year end. After all, things hadn't been good anyway with many music stores having disappeared.

• Like 1

I'm not sure you know.... I used to love going to the local music shop and aspiring to the basses and guitars on the wall. Really make a day of it. I think they're a vital part of wanting to be a musician, but this lockdown (if you can call it that) has been an eye opener. Theres been SO many online deliveries about just in our street it's been crazy. Even myself I've treated myself to a few things online music wise. Things I wouldnt have necessarily got up and travelled to get pre lockdown.

I think it's the way it's all going to go unfortunayely - especially with companies offering 30 day returns - you cant really lose. It's just a shame that some people will go to the physical shop when things reopen, try things out, then buy them cheaper online. That's not in the spirit of things.

8 minutes ago, la bam said:

I'm not sure you know.... I used to love going to the local music shop and aspiring to the basses and guitars on the wall. Really make a day of it. I think they're a vital part of wanting to be a musician, but this lockdown (if you can call it that) has been an eye opener. Theres been SO many online deliveries about just in our street it's been crazy. Even myself I've treated myself to a few things online music wise. Things I wouldnt have necessarily got up and travelled to get pre lockdown.

Well, you were probably not in the majority, most people have not been going to their local music shop for a long time. Unless you were lucky to live somewhere big, the chances of having anything in a local shop that was more interesting than a sunburst fender, the music shop hasnt been that interesting. 

I suppose I’m quite lucky, I have Coda in Stevenage and PMT in Northampton within quite easy reach, I used to visit Coda especially quite a lot. It’s a shame re physical music shops closing down though, sometimes trying a few of the same instruments yields surprising results. On a visit to Coda I tried out 3 of the same Les Paul Studio, one whispered, one threw up, the other sang. Without the comparison I might have bought the upchucker if only ordering online, without knowing the difference.

Edited by Lozz196
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Well, you were probably not in the majority, most people have not been going to their local music shop for a long time. Unless you were lucky to live somewhere big, the chances of having anything in a local shop that was more interesting than a sunburst fender, the music shop hasnt been that interesting. 

Can not recommend Mid Wales Music in Newtown highly enough.  Plenty of interesting guitars and basses pass through their door. Am just hoping it survives the current situation.

3 minutes ago, 3below said:

Can not recommend Mid Wales Music in Newtown highly enough.  Plenty of interesting guitars and basses pass through their door. Am just hoping it survives the current situation.

Handy if you are close, for me that is 40 miles further than either bass direct* (where I have never been) or wunjos* in london (where I have)

* i have bought things from both of those

I’m lucky enough to be a 20min drive from my local GG and a train and tube journey from The Gallery. I’d always give these guys a chance to match an online price, or get very close, and buy the kit I’ve tried.  

Administration is a common device to get out of shop or office leases and generally stuff creditors and suppliers.

Probably what's happening here - more death of the High Street. Whether you like them or loathe them, landlords are collectively getting a battering at the moment e.g. Hammerson, which owns retail shopping centres, share price is down a whopping 75% compared to what it was pre Covid crash.

4 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

I suppose I’m quite lucky, I have Coda in Stevenage and PMT in Northampton within quite easy reach, I used to visit Coda especially quite a lot. It’s a shame re physical music shops closing down though, sometimes trying a few of the same instruments yields surprising results. On a visit to Coda I tried out 3 of the same Les Paul Studio, one whispered, one threw up, the other sang. Without the comparison I might have bought the upchucker if only ordering online, without knowing the difference.

To be fair, Gibson haven't really been known for their QC the last few years.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ClassicVibes said:

To be fair, Gibson haven't really been known for their QC the last few years.

QC or no, that’s guitars for you. No two are exactly the same. And that’s one thing buying online doesn’t give you chance to do, try various examples against each other. No matter what the make or model, I’ve  never tried 2 Or more examples of the same instrument together and not been able to discern differences.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

https://www.getintothis.co.uk/2020/05/dawsons-music-saved-by-manchester-entrepreneur-from-going-out-of-business/

Great Local firm - an established MI retailer has salvaged the company and staff. 

Made up for all of my old colleagues.

That is good news. Hopefully, it'll now be run a bit more sympathetically and efficiently.