Why become a member? ×

Mustang Squier

stewblack

I have 2 Squier VM Mustangs, both several years old now.

image.thumb.jpeg.be739d9b2f400a70f015fcdf84f79ff2.jpeg

Both have Labella 760F-MUS flats and a pro' set up. The nut is 38mm and therefore string spacing is tighter than usual and does take a bit of getting use to. Neck is more Jazz than P. Very comfortable to play and simple controls make it a no-fuss instrument. Weight is I think just over 8 lbs. Finish is good and quality of hardware is good. Tuners stay in tune and pickups are Seymour Duncan design but made in Indonesia I think. Sound-wise I would say P bass-ish. The sunburst is my go to instrument. I think the Squier are value for money. The Fenders are a bit pricey in comparison. The new P J models will give a brighter sound but I prefer just the split P.

There you go, hope that helps.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, grandad said:

There you go, hope that helps

It really does, thank you. The look is great, reasonably priced, P Bass sound is what I like, but that Jazz neck is a stumbling block. 

I'll keep an eye out for second hand as that narrow spacing combined with my fat sausage fingers can be a problem. 

Thanks again 

11 hours ago, stewblack said:

Are these any good? 

I don't know, ordered one from Andertons last year and they told me that there was a 7 month wait. So I cancelled the order!

I prefered the look of the mini p pickups compared to the fender ones that just look hashed together

Edited by Woodinblack

Thomann appear to have this colour in stock (the cream version has a wait time).

They do look ace.  I too prefer the P spacing at the nut, but I think that’s only available on the JMJ signature model.

Regardless, I think one of these will eventually make its way in to my rack!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Pea Turgh said:

They do look ace.  I too prefer the P spacing at the nut, but I think that’s only available on the JMJ signature model.

According to the Fender website, the Vinteras are P bass width too. Shops seem to be quoting narrower, but I reckon Fender are right.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pea Turgh said:

Thomann appear to have this colour in stock (the cream version has a wait time).

Regardless, I think one of these will eventually make its way in to my rack!

Yes they do, tis pic was from their site. Love the colour combo

I have the off white/red tort one. As I mentioned on another thread, super light, crap tuners (imo) now replaced, really good build quality, the pickups have a low output but I still haven`t raised them yet or played loud through a decent set up so it may be nothing.

Stew the neck is super small even for a Jazz sized neck. But my man cave where I hide out is super small so the short scale suits. And it`s so cute even the wife likes it!

If we ever get out gigging again, I`m going to take it as a back up due to the weight and it won`t take up much space on stage.

23 minutes ago, prowla said:

I know - it shouldn't be allowed!

I did once play someone's Fender Mustang bass and it was rather nice.

My mate had one back when I was a guitarist. I didn't really know the difference between any two basses then. 

I/we just received an Oly White CV Mustang the other day, brand new, and I'm very, VERY impressed with it. I bought it for myself under the pretence that my 8 year old son needed it as he was taking up bass... Now he has nicked it... Little git... 

Got to put a good word in for DV247. Cheapest I could find and came to Northern Ireland from Germany in 3 days. 

It could end up costing me a clean fortune though. It's already has me contacting Alan at ACG about a short scale neck for my Recurve 5, and that has moved on to a possible scratch build short scale 5. We'll see when the furlough has passed... 

23 hours ago, jezzaboy said:

I have the off white/red tort one. As I mentioned on another thread, super light, crap tuners (imo) now replaced, really good build quality, the pickups have a low output but I still haven`t raised them yet or played loud through a decent set up so it may be nothing.

Stew the neck is super small even for a Jazz sized neck. But my man cave where I hide out is super small so the short scale suits. And it`s so cute even the wife likes it!

If we ever get out gigging again, I`m going to take it as a back up due to the weight and it won`t take up much space on stage.

My Vintera pickups are a little lower output than all my other basses. Have messed around with pickup heights but still the same. I assumed it was the 60s inspired wiring in the Vintera pickup. I can eq any discrepancies out if I am using more than one bass live.  Easily forgiven though for the tone I get though - especially when using a pick. Just incredible. Never thought I could get such a fonky tone and vibe using a pick. I prefer using it to slapping (I am very much in the Larry Graham camp here tone wise - although I am partial to a bit of Miller and Meshell too). It's great all round but this unique personality trait gives it its own special place in the hareem. 

• Like 2

I bought a White / tort guard CV Mustang at the beginning of the lockdown , a sort of comfort purchase to mainly use for the hours I would be on the sofa.

As previously said , the overall finish is very good , the tuners turn very easily , despite tightening the screws at the back , so any knocks detune the bass. The neck is narrow and slim , not much meat on it ,bit of a change if you are used to a Precision .The sound is different to a P Bass, thinner , bit more treblely , doesn't quite have the authority of a good P bass sound , but I'm sure a playaround with your amp EQ will get some good tones . As I bought the bass during the lockdown , I haven't had the chance to gig it ,or give it a good blast through a bass rig .

My main worry was how good / or poor the fretwork would be on a cheap bass,  I'm happy to report fretwork is very tidy , no sharp edges and the neck feels smooth when going up and down the neck . The laurel fretboard is quite pleasing to the eye , nice bit of grain on mine .I'm not sure if I will adjust to the 30 inch scale , it feels positively strange , I keep going back to a regular bass , it just may take some time to come round to it .

For about £300 , you get a well finished , very playable instrument ( stick some flats on it ) , if you cannot get on with it , I'm sure it will sell pretty quickly with the current trend of short scale mania going on at the moment . Hope this helps .

• Thanks 1