Why become a member? ×

Lessons on line

four/five

I’ve been asked if I could give some lessons to a young and upcoming Bass player online. I did him some lessons face to face 

before lockdown. I’ve tried using “Skype and FaceTime” linking my Mac to my iPad just to try. There seems to be an awful latency between 

me actually fingering the note and the audio signal arriving. I’m using just a mixing desk to get the bass signal into the Mac without any 

Di or signal interface. Is this where it’s going wrong trying to send an analogue signal .

What are other people using or doing?

If I’ve posted in the wrong area would the “Mods” please send it in the correct direction.

I am taking lessons via Skype and latency for talking is fine. The the latency when playing together is very poor. The other issue is Skype cannot cope with voice and bass at the same time. The only answer I have at the moment is mixing the mic, bass  and MP3 player (when needed) into my mixer and then mono into my Scarlet 2i4. This seems to work.

I’ve taught via Skype, my university tutorials are now via Skype too. Have you got an audio interface? I find it’s not too bad just plugging into that. As others have said, you need to be quite strict with only one person talking at a time, and either play or talk, don’t do both. 

Try and pick a time too, where there’s nothing else taking up your broadband signal.

• Like 1