Why become a member? ×

John Taylor’s lock down video.

dave_bass5

17 minutes ago, jacko said:

Just watched the rio vid. His drum machine is so loud i could barely make out what he was saying.

You would think with his money he could afford a foot pedal to switch the thing on and off when he is talking/playing.

16 minutes ago, ubit said:

You would think with his money he could afford a foot pedal to switch the thing on and off when he is talking/playing.

This is what I’m struggling with with the JT vids, the lack of making a real effort. Not complaining, but just surprised he hasn’t  put more production thought in to it. Odd coming from a band that were heavily in to tend setting etc. 

Nice to hear that he plays it as well as i do (and with a pick) lol. 

Thanks for sharing these, I don't 'do' Instagram so I am particularly grateful. 

John's a lovely guy and his bass lines challenged my prejudices back in the day. 

I assumed that Duran couldn't be any good because they were just a pop band for teenage girls to scream at. 

Then my drummer at the time told me their bassist used the same bass as me. They have a bassist? It's not all programming? Wait, they're a real band? 

Then I listened properly and he blew me away. 

So grateful he's doing these, it's always interesting to hear a bit of background to how a band worked. And of course always wonderful to have the bass without the surrounding clutter. Sorry, other instruments. 

Yeah sure they're homemade, and other people doing similar things have professional help putting them together. But who cares? I'm there for the bass. 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, stewblack said:

John's a lovely guy and his bass lines challenged my prejudices back in the day. 

I assumed that Duran couldn't be any good because they were just a pop band for teenage girls to scream at. 

Yup, this was me. Pop music back then was what people with no clue about "real music" were into. I was into "proper" guitar music. It wasn't until, as you say, I started listening to the amazing bass and Andy Taylors rock guitar playing that I thought, wait a minute, these guys can play! Pop music back then was at least played by real musicians. It was the Stock, Aitken and Waterman era that changed all that. Manufactured acts that relied on session musicians to write and perform their tunes so that they could warble over the top, each trying to out do the other with vocal gymnastics. You can probably tell I am not a fan of popular music. I have a pretty wide taste in music these days but pop and maybe jazz funk are my least favourites. I don't hate them, I would just rather avoid.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, ubit said:

It was the Stock, Aitken and Waterman era that changed all that. Manufactured acts that relied on session musicians to write and perform their tunes so that they could warble over the top, 

They weren’t even original in their thinking, using that system previously and probably most famously (especially from a bassist’s POV) pioneered by the Berry Gordy school of pop production (and I suppose Phil Spector).

34 minutes ago, ezbass said:

They weren’t even original in their thinking, using that system previously and probably most famously (especially from a bassist’s POV) pioneered by the Berry Gordy school of pop production (and I suppose Phil Spector).

I suppose we had Boney M and Milli Vanilli to be fair.

Edited by ubit

30 minutes ago, ubit said:

I actually like Boney M. I know that wasn't them singing but the songs were superb. Still are when you have a few sherbets!

The king and queens of the earworm. 🙉

6 minutes ago, ezbass said:

The king and queens of the earworm. 🙉

Yup, just try and stop your feet tapping when Ma Baker comes on! Or even better Daddy Cool!

Edited by ubit

40 minutes ago, shoulderpet said:

Glad there is a thread on this, I was just about to start one then saw there is one already, todays video is Rio so is well worth watching, loving these videos

Do you mean Wednesday’s video 😁

Just now, Al Krow said:

I'm going to take the 5th on that one 😁 

This one's for you, Dave.

Haha, say no more. Actually not a huge Bangles fan, but they had their  moments.

Ok, way off topic but ive been enjoying the Billie Joe Armstrong lockdowns, and this in particular. Looks like she had a few Too many blue sweets lol.

On 24/05/2020 at 21:11, dave_bass5 said:

Haha, say no more. Actually not a huge Bangles fan, but they had their  moments.

Ok, way off topic but ive been enjoying the Billie Joe Armstrong lockdowns, and this in particular. Looks like she had a few Too many blue sweets lol.

On 21/05/2020 at 18:14, dave_bass5 said:

This is what I’m struggling with with the JT vids, the lack of making a real effort. Not complaining, but just surprised he hasn’t  put more production thought in to it. Odd coming from a band that were heavily in to tend setting etc. 

Nice to hear that he plays it as well as i do (and with a pick) lol. 

The above video is too far the other way for me, granted its all personal preference but the Billie Joe Armstrong video has an almost plastic like sound to it to me, a bit too overproduced to me but I can understand other people liking it

Edited by shoulderpet

On 24/05/2020 at 21:08, Al Krow said:

I'm going to take the 5th on that one 😁 

This one's for you, Dave.

Well she is looking pretty good for a 61 year old. 60 in this vid!

• 2 weeks later...