Why become a member? ×

John Taylor’s lock down video.

dave_bass5

18 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

I still concur that the vest top is doing him no favours.

Haha, he looks like an old man living in the past. 

I’m sure ill go to hell saying this but as much as I love his playing I’m not enjoying the bits where he isnt playing, nor the distorted camera phone audio. 

• Like 2

Bah! On planet earth he didn't show the fast fill at the end of the breakdown. Interesting it was an Aria Pro2. I had an SB700 for many years, but I could never get on with it due to the narrow string spacing at the bridge.

He reminds me of the Billy Mack character played by Bill Nighy in "Love Actually".

On 10/05/2020 at 16:08, Krysbass said:

Always loved that Planet Earth bassline, but frustratingly it’s always been beyond my non-existent abilities with a pick. 😳
I agree that JT is underrated - plenty of great lines in DD songs and thankfully (for me) most are more suited to finger style playing.
But never motivated to go to a DD gig, as I tend to prefer to hear the band at gigs rather than the audience.

We used to play this. I sang and played this bass line. Honestly, It isn't very hard. Just keep practising it.Once you have that rhythm, it just repeats.

Never been a huge fan of Duran Duran.

I was late listening to JT but girlfriends younger sisters raved about DD and i eventually got a listen to them and bought one of their albums. I was quite impressed with the bass. I then heard him with Power Station and that was when i really thought he was one of the better bassists out there.

Afraid this lockdown clip is a bit boring but might pick up as he gets more into it. Remember Guy does a stand up comedy act as well so has an advantage there. Guys more natural.

Dave

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dmccombe7 said:

Never been a huge fan of Duran Duran.

I was late listening to JT but girlfriends younger sisters raved about DD and i eventually got a listen to them and bought one of their albums. I was quite impressed with the bass. I then heard him with Power Station and that was when i really thought he was one of the better bassists out there.

Afraid this lockdown clip is a bit boring but might pick up as he gets more into it. Remember Guy does a stand up comedy act as well so has an advantage there. Guys more natural.

Dave

I like that Guy talks about gear more. I think his videos are aimed more at us, where as JT is just talking basics for the general public, as Doctor J commented. 

Its nice to have them whatever, but i do feel JT could have made more of a production effort. Can’t stand portrait orientated phone videos for a start, let alone shaky ones. Ironic considering how over produced and expensive the DD videos are. 

• Like 1

seems like he's doing a lee sklar thing

22 hours ago, la bam said:

Loving these vids. Such a good brain to create lines like this. Love how he makes it so simple. 6 chords on keys, drum beat, add bass - done!

Bernard Edwards basically mentored him through production of Notorious so there's bound to be a lot of the big man's influence in those lines.

3 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Remember Guy does a stand up comedy act as well so has an advantage there. Guys more natural.

Dave

I went to see Guy at the fringe about ten years ago. Almost the entire show was culled from his book which was a bit disappointing - a funny story's only funny the first time. I invited him to my gig at Finnegans wake that night cos he said he was free but he didn't turn up. 

• Like 1

I've always played the PE bassline with fingers near the bridge. On record it doesn't sound like it was played with a pick. Then again I'm not a fan of most pick playing unless it's JJ Burnel, Michael Dempsey or Stuart Morrow. Anyway, the best thing about DD songs were the basslines. PE is by far DD's best although Ordinary World, Notorious and Skin Trade are pretty good. But they didn't half come out with some stinkers like Is There Something I Should Know, Union of The Snake, The Reflex and Wild Boys.

On 15/05/2020 at 18:16, Barking Spiders said:

I've always played the PE bassline with fingers near the bridge. On record it doesn't sound like it was played with a pick. Then again I'm not a fan of most pick playing unless it's JJ Burnel, Michael Dempsey or Stuart Morrow. Anyway, the best thing about DD songs were the basslines. PE is by far DD's best although Ordinary World, Notorious and Skin Trade are pretty good. But they didn't half come out with some stinkers like Is There Something I Should Know, Union of The Snake, The Reflex and Wild Boys.

Ordinary World is an awesome track, and far better for coming from their non-teenie phase imo.

On 15/05/2020 at 18:16, Barking Spiders said:

On record it doesn't sound like it was played with a pick.

John Taylor has actually said that he played it with a pick. It also sounds like a pick to me with the attack

I used to hate Duran Duran when they first came out as I thought they were pop rubbish and I was into rock and metal. Its only a few years ago that I realised that they were a great band who played their instruments really well. little did I know what pop would evolve into 😒

15 minutes ago, ubit said:

I used to hate Duran Duran when they first came out as I thought they were pop rubbish and I was into rock and metal. Its only a few years ago that I realised that they were a great band who played their instruments really well. little did I know what pop would evolve into 😒

Same here, I also think my hatred stemmed from the fact that my then girlfriend was a Durannie. Being into punk listening to Duran over and over again did my head in, whereas nowadays I’d quite like that.

I loved Duran when they first emerged, and even listening to this stuff now brings back some good memories of sharing  a giant 4 floored Oxford house with a bunch of musicians  back in ye olde 80's

I think he's a likeable chap and a decent fatty string pleasant plucker.

But FFS - dont film on a poxy mobile...please.   You got a few sheckles John.  Get a decent camera.  Guy managed it  :)