Why become a member? ×

John Taylor’s lock down video.

dave_bass5

I only just got around to watching it. Meh lol. 

I love JT’s playing, he is a big influence on me, but the video was boring. I also cringed when he did what Ronnie Wood does, that head wobble when explaining something musical. 

Still, not everyone is cut out to be a YT sensation. Guy=3, JT=0 so far. 

• Like 1

Enjoyed that, I still think hes one of the most underrated players ever.

His bassline are out there - I cant think of another player like him - kind of rock/punk then real funky and all over the fretboard, stitched together perfectly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, la bam said:

Enjoyed that, I still think hes one of the most underrated players ever.

His bassline are out there - I cant think of another player like him - kind of rock/punk then real funky and all over the fretboard, stitched together perfectly.

I’m not sure he is underrated. Everyone seems to rave about him. 

Not bad for a pick player 😂

Always loved that Planet Earth bassline, but frustratingly it’s always been beyond my non-existent abilities with a pick. 😳
I agree that JT is underrated - plenty of great lines in DD songs and thankfully (for me) most are more suited to finger style playing.
But never motivated to go to a DD gig, as I tend to prefer to hear the band at gigs rather than the audience.

I really like his playing on record but that was not a patch on Guy Pratt for entertainment value, sound quality, and instructional ability. Also found his accent and way of talking really grating, but he's been living in LA for however long. He says he was 16 in 1976 making him 60 this year... I'd like to look that good when I'm errrr 36!!! 🤣

• Haha 1

I saw DD  on thier first major tour with Hazel O’Connor at the Dominon. They had tartan on and a lot of people thought they were Spandau Ballet lol. 

Even back then i thought they had an amazing feel to their songs. Nothing flash, but everything’ seemed to be where it needed to be to support the rest. Not a huge fan of the over produced stuff though. 

12 minutes ago, uk_lefty said:

He says he was 16 in 1976 making him 60 this year... I'd like to look that good when I'm errrr 36!!! 🤣

Always annoys me how rock and pop stars can pull off wearing a vest and ripped Jean's and look cool, no matter what age they are.

When I do it I look like Rab C Nesbitts fatter, less successful brother.

• Haha 12

Interesting, one of my first bass inspirations, I still have my original Duran Duran cassette from 1981 which was on constant rotation in my 3D Superwoofer through the 80s.. didn't realise he was Australian though. Lol. 

• Haha 2

Thanks for sharing that, coincidentally I'm another whose pick playing is non existent and last night I was idly playing through a few songs with a pick thinking I should really use this time to work on using one. Seeing this first thing this morning it looks like an ideal song make a start with. A nice get back to basics moment for me.

I wasn't a huge fan of Duran Duran, too over-produced and over-hyped for me at the time, but I always loved the rhythm section and the bass in particular. I wish he hadn't mentioned the Aria Pro though, I don't need another bass.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Phil Starr said:

Thanks for sharing that, coincidentally I'm another whose pick playing is non existent and last night I was idly playing through a few songs with a pick thinking I should really use this time to work on using one. Seeing this first thing this morning it looks like an ideal song make a start with. A nice get back to basics moment for me.

I wasn't a huge fan of Duran Duran, too over-produced and over-hyped for me at the time, but I always loved the rhythm section and the bass in particular. I wish he hadn't mentioned the Aria Pro though, I don't need another bass.

I only really started playing with pick about 18 months back and it was definitely a different technique to finger style and took a little getting used to. What did surprise me was that, amongst the bass players in the various bands that my covers bandmates play in (we're mostly all in at least a couple of bands), pick playing seemed to be a minority sport!

I particularly like the precision of timing / crispness of notes you can get with a pick compared to fingers and it can work really well when combined with muted palm on some tracks e.g. MJ's "the way you make me feel".

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

I only really started playing with pick about 18 months back and it was definitely a different technique to finger style and took a little getting used to. What did surprise me was that, amongst the bass players in the various bands that my covers bandmates play in (we're mostly all in at least a couple of bands), pick playing seemed to be a minority sport!

I particularly like the precision of timing / crispness of notes you can get with a pick compared to fingers and it can work really well when combined with muted palm on some tracks e.g. MJ's "the way you make me feel".

Yeah there are definitely songs that would benefit from pick playing and that precision in the timing is something I don't always achieve with fingers. The trouble with playing covers is there's pretty much always the next song to learn and the easy route of using the tricks you already have to hand instead of learning new techniques. The lack of gigs means I have time to do something but motivation has always come from the things I did wrong at the last gig :) I've got back to playing an hour a day again though and cleared the backlog of songs to learn so now looks a good time to do some work on the basics. How are you getting along with the online courses? (thread derail)

16 hours ago, la bam said:

Always annoys me how rock and pop stars can pull off wearing a vest and ripped Jean's and look cool, no matter what age they are.

When I do it I look like Rab C Nesbitts fatter, less successful brother.

Not a grey hair in sight. Amazing that!

1 hour ago, Phil Starr said:

Yeah there are definitely songs that would benefit from pick playing and that precision in the timing is something I don't always achieve with fingers. The trouble with playing covers is there's pretty much always the next song to learn and the easy route of using the tricks you already have to hand instead of learning new techniques. The lack of gigs means I have time to do something but motivation has always come from the things I did wrong at the last gig :) I've got back to playing an hour a day again though and cleared the backlog of songs to learn so now looks a good time to do some work on the basics. How are you getting along with the online courses? (thread derail)

I’m the other way. Been playing with a pick since I started. Sometimes I struggle with the tone I get, not so keen on the thinness a pick can give not the higher strings, upper notes, but overall it works for most things we play. I don’t try and emulate the original tones unless it’s really needed. I do tend to play a lot of the side of my right hand muting the strings a bit, which gets me a bit more thumpy  

At home I hardly use a pick, as I do try my best to get up to speed with fingers, but with the band I try a bit and then get the pick out. I just can’t get the speed and syncopation with the band. 

1 minute ago, dave_bass5 said:

At home I hardly use a pick, as I do try my best to get up to speed with fingers, but with the band I try a bit and then get the pick out. I just can’t get the speed and syncopation with the band. 

Im the opposite. I play all the time with fingers and have to try really hard to use a pick. I like the sound from a pick for certain songs. I need to practise more with a pick.

12 minutes ago, ubit said:

Im the opposite. I play all the time with fingers and have to try really hard to use a pick. I like the sound from a pick for certain songs. I need to practise more with a pick.

Im fine at home, at least, I can play along to Spotify etc ok. it’s probably my drummer playing too fast or just different to how it should be. Need to practice finger playing more with the band than on my own. Not likely to do that for a while though.