Why become a member? ×

Aria Pro II

Randy_Marsh

[quote name='Randy_Marsh' post='424460' date='Mar 3 2009, 08:01 PM']Does any on the forum have any knowledge of Aria's

I have an Aria Pro II SB1000 lined fretless, i was just wondering whether any could tell me how early the model is what kind of price it could fetch? Not really looking to sell, but it would be nice to know[/quote]

Greetings,

Dating is usually fairly easy - the first digit indicates the year. Frinstance my SB-1000 & SB-900 both start with a 0, making them 1980, my TSB-400 (1050066) is 1981 etc. The other giveaway is the headstock - If it has straight (but not parallel) sides and a rather fancy scroll on the end its an early one (1979-1981), if the sides have a flare & the end is rather plainer (often called "open book") then it'll be post a date sometime in '81.

Values vary a lot. All I can suggest is to keep an eye on Eb*y & see what the market is prepared to pay.

Extra points for originality, colour (Padauk or trans-red is quite desirable), fancy wood grain and an original hard case (especially one branded "Aria Pro II Advanced Electrics or Aria Pro II Super Bass). Lose points for missing bits (I don't think they made a fretless...).

Purely from a personal point, If one fetched up that ticked all the above boxes I'd go up to about £650.

Photos?

Pete.

[quote name='Brother Jones' post='425682' date='Mar 5 2009, 12:56 AM']Best fretless I ever played was an SB1000, spookily enough in a shop in Leeds...

Thanks for the info Bloodaxe - I'm now better informed about my SB Elite II.[/quote]

Hi Guys

I've now got 2 aria ii pro's, having just bought a lovely SB600 on ebay. I paid £370 and I feel its worth it. Its heavy, but with some stainless steel rotosounds on it, it sounds amazing! My other is a Cardinal series bass which i got for £90! the design is not very good- its top heavy and i had to rebalance it by packing the control cavity with roofing lead, thus rendering it very heavy, but what i liked about the cardinal, and the reason i wanted an SB, is the ME pickup tone and the great neck.
I would love to try a fretless SB.

there are some good web resources about aria 2 pro's at
www.matsumoku.org/models/ariaproii/ap2_catalogs.html

all the best

Ianto

Super Basses! (hehehe!)

Currently have the following Arias:

SB-1000
CSB-450 - my first ever bass
CSB-380 - trans red
CSB-380 - trans blue
CSB-380 - s/burst 2 p/up
Laser Heritage
Precise P bass copy

..and a PE Elite guitar !

I once had a superb SBR-150 fretless which I sold - absolute monster of a bass, awesome. Superb quality instruments.

[quote name='grimbeaver' post='427572' date='Mar 6 2009, 08:55 PM']this is my aria pro II double neck, cant play the bugger but it looks good[/quote]

Wow, I've never seen one of those before.

[quote]CSB-380 - s/burst 2 p/up[/quote]

Shouldn't that be a CSB Deluxe?

I've got two CSB's - a 300 and 450. Really nice basses that sell for a pittance nowadays.

• 8 months later...

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='652628' date='Nov 12 2009, 01:34 PM']I used to have a TSB-550 (32" scale) which was lovely. I regret selling it.[/quote]

DOH!!!! :) :lol:
I've got a TSB 650 and everytime I pull it out to play it, I keep thinking
how small it is!!! :rolleyes:
Never measured it! Doh!!
I've also got a TSB 400 and I did know that was medium.
Another good one is the old "Thump Thump" - CSB 400!
Where's me glasses!!!! :lol:

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='653744' date='Nov 13 2009, 04:01 PM']Is that the same as a TSB-550 but two pickups?[/quote]

Yep.
Stacked volume and tone and individual series/parallel switches.
When I get five mins, I will post a pic.

On another note (nothing to do with Aira) went to see Deep Purple, last night.
WOW. Those boys can still do it, big time!!

[attachment=36298:DP.jpg]

Now, how does it go???

G Bb C G Bb C# C G Bb C Bb G!!!! Tee Hee. :)

We all came out to. . . . . :rolleyes:

[quote name='Shaggy' post='652258' date='Nov 12 2009, 08:29 AM']There was a time when if you watched TOPTP almost every bassist had one of these......
Love that double-neck! :)[/quote]
You mean, rather like this...[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPKDS5QP0Tc"]TOTP[/url]
That's one devilishly handsome bass player, don't you think? :rolleyes:

Still got the bass. Anyone know where I can get the electrics looked at?

[quote name='SteveK' post='654455' date='Nov 14 2009, 02:43 PM']You mean, rather like this...[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPKDS5QP0Tc"]TOTP[/url]
That's one devilishly handsome bass player, don't you think? :rolleyes:

Still got the bass. Anyone know where I can get the electrics looked at?[/quote]

Heh... a band I was in supported her at an Oxford ball... I was playing my brand new SB1000!

Here it is at a recent gig before it went to the shop...

Now THATS devilishly handsome... :)

Edited by bh2

[quote name='SteveK' post='654455' date='Nov 14 2009, 01:43 PM']You mean, rather like this...[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPKDS5QP0Tc"]TOTP[/url]
That's one devilishly handsome bass player, don't you think? :)

Still got the bass. Anyone know where I can get the electrics looked at?[/quote]
Devilishly handsome and a nice bassline which I have to admit to having copied on more than one occasion.

[quote name='SteveK' post='654455' date='Nov 14 2009, 01:43 PM']You mean, rather like this...[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPKDS5QP0Tc"]TOTP[/url]
That's one devilishly handsome bass player, don't you think? :lol:

Wonderful song - to the extent my band recorded a cover of it a few years ago - and it's actually [url="http://www.myspace.com/maya29band"]up on our Myspace[/url], if anyone's interested. You'll be glad to know the tragically ugly bassist didn't abscond with your bass part though! :rolleyes:

Also met Hazel a few years back when she was performing at the Edinburgh Fringe. Lovely lady. :)

Jon.

• 2 weeks later...

That's one devilishly handsome bass player, don't you think? :)

Greetings. It looks like a Series 1 SB-1000 - if so you may have problems when it comes to the electrics...

Mine just had a sealed Mystery Black Box with a 10-way connector. Managed to decipher a fair bit of the contents, & it looks like the "actives" were just a unity gain buffer circuit or (in English) a pre-amp which doesn't amplify. Sounds daft, but it isn't. It's also not necessary - I've done away with it in my fretless but kept the 6-way rotary tone selector unit - now that IS necessary!

I'm in the throes of recovering from a major pc failure, somewhere I should have a wiring diagram based on the original configuration. If I can fish it out I'll PM you the mod (very simple, but off the top of my head I can't remember what wires you have to cut & move, failing that I'll hoy the back off the fretless & send a pic).

One thing to check first though... unplug the connector block & put a multimeter across the red & the white leads to check that the pickup is still OK - mine wasn't. I suspect that the 18v "actives" had failed in such a way that the pickup had been burnt out, it was certainly reading open circuit.

Pete.

[quote]I should have a wiring diagram based on the original configuration. If I can fish it out I'll PM you the mod (very simple, but off the top of my head I can't remember what wires you have to cut & move, failing that I'll hoy the back off the fretless & send a pic).[/quote]

Thanks Pete,

I would very much appreciate that...if it's not too much trouble.

Cheers,

Steve