Why become a member? Ɨ

Best bang for buck bass?

hooky_lowdown

What do folks think is the best bang for buck bass available on the market today?

I'm amazed by the Vintage V4 reissued basses, build quality is very good, decent hardware andĀ  the pickups sound very good. For the money, very good value imho. šŸ˜

2 hours ago, hooky_lowdown said:

What do folks think is the best bang for buck bass available on the market today?

I'm amazed by the Vintage V4 reissued basses, build quality is very good, decent hardware andĀ  the pickups sound very good. For the money, very good value imho. šŸ˜

I think youā€™ve hit it, Hooky, when I got my Tony Butler V4 as a backup I thought I might have to change stuff like pickups/tuners/bridge to get it up to scratch, whereas once I played it with the band I realised nowt was needed. And for a sub Ā£300 bass to be that near in playability and sound to my US Standard Precision with Custom Shop pickups is staggering.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, hooky_lowdown said:

New šŸ‘

Probably going to be something like a Yamaha, Squier or maybe a Bass Collection I guess.Ā  I'm sure Sire will get a mention too although I only had a very brief noodle one.Ā  Not tried a Vintage bass but the reviews have been pretty good.

19 minutes ago, ead said:

Probably going to be something like a Yamaha, Squier or maybe a Bass Collection I guess.Ā  I'm sure Sire will get a mention too although I only had a very brief noodle one.Ā  Not tried a Vintage bass but the reviews have been pretty good.

I think Sire. You get loads on a 2nd gen V7 for the money and the first gen I had was superb

• Like 1

Just pulled the trigger and ordered an Alden ES Les Paul style bass from Freestyle music.Ā  Always wanted the Gibson version, but prohibitively expensive and a bit too precious to gig with.

Will let you know how it measures up when it arrives ...........

If and its a big if you can get one, a RedSub Coliseum fan fret 5 string is the best bass I`ve ever played under Ā£300, the neck is seriously to die for, if anyone in the North East would like to try it after restrictions then I`ll be happy to let them try it, it is THAT good.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I'm a big fan of a cheapy.Ā  Got a Revelation RBJ67 which is great. PickedĀ it up on an eBay bargain for Ā£95 with the tags & cellophane still on it.Ā  Also got a Sterling MusicMan which is an awesome machine. Both gigged regularly and never let me down.

I am a bargain basement bass buyer. Yep Vintage Reissue are good, yes Revelation too. However nothing, but nothing, comes remotely close to my Harley Benton MM-84A SB.Ā 

Astonishingly good bass. If I had paid twice the price I'd have still got the bargain of a lifetime. Three times the price I would not complain.Ā 

On 08/05/2020 at 22:29, Happy Jack said:

Who is Buck Bass, and what sort of music does he play?

Not sure on the genre, but the title suggests the tunes are "Bangin' "

Edited by Lfalex v1.1
At least I avoided sex jokes and any references to stuffing C4 into the control cavity of a certain Warwick model