Chienmortbb

After Eighty - Small Ashdown Combo On Steroids

Hi John,

I've finally had occasion to break out one of the older revisions of the preamp in question, in the blue box to the right:

PW100B_PW7B.JPG.00a99ea6147612b7b3cabdea92e1b61f.JPG

The power amp module is strangely big and heavy, and not particularly efficient...😎

17 hours ago, Passinwind said:

Hi John,

I've finally had occasion to break out one of the older revisions of the preamp in question, in the blue box to the right:

PW100B_PW7B.JPG.00a99ea6147612b7b3cabdea92e1b61f.JPG

The power amp module is strangely big and heavy, and not particularly efficient...😎

It took me a while to get the joke. I was dazzled by the glass transistors behind the bass.

• Haha 1

On 26/08/2020 at 00:35, Chienmortbb said:

It took me a while to get the joke. I was dazzled by the glass transistors behind the bass.

It's been quite a change of pace from all the battery powered circuits I've been doing for the last few years, 500VDC is no joke when it wants to bite you.

Haven't decided whether to do a B channel and use a set of the PW7 boards, but there's already a nice +/- 15V supply on the power amp board, and plenty of spare current capacity. The A channel will be mostly tube based in any case.

Posted (edited)

In my early years I tested TV studio monitors. one of the adjustments was near the line ouitput transformer. The LOPT (pronounced loptee) had a 1500V RF spike on it and, if you slipped, you had a nice little shock and a little hole in your finger. At least it was self quaterizing.

Now I must get on with the Combo.

Edited by Chienmortbb
  • Like 1