Why become a member? ×

Alternative pickup for P bass?

Rich

Ok, this project has taken something of a left turn... having a rummage in the ol' spares box, I came up with the old pickup from my OLP 'Ray. Hmmm... watch this space :D

received_815953308812280.thumb.jpeg.de91af9f286e7b88dfd6d5668e88ddc2.jpeg

(Yes I know the MM needs to be about 1/2" further away from the bridge to be in the proper sweet-spot, but I really don't want to butcher that lovely pickguard if I can get away with it.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rich said:

Ok, this project has taken something of a left turn... having a rummage in the ol' spares box, I came up with the old pickup from my OLP 'Ray. Hmmm... watch this space :D

(Yes I know the MM needs to be about 1/2" further away from the bridge to be in the proper sweet-spot, but I really don't want to butcher that lovely pickguard if I can get away with it.)

Get another pickguard!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rich said:

You could raise the actiona bit to give enough string clearance and solder 2 wires to the volume pot and connect the pickup to the 2 wires with electrical tape and move it around to see if it makes enough of a difference to warrant butchering the pickguard

True, true... although there are two factors:

1. I've had a look around on t'internet, specifically at things like the Sandberg PM4 which has an identical pickup configuration... their MM pickup is even closer to the bridge than mine, and I figure if it's good enough for them... :)  and;

2. I've already been busy with the chisels, so it's kinda a done deal :lol: it's only dropped in the rough hole for the moment, I haven't cleaned any edges or tidied it or anything yet. 

1737308798_P-MM2.jpg.6842681589972e2373ef6f23b39206fe.jpg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Rich said:

True, true... although there are two factors:

1. I've had a look around on t'internet, specifically at things like the Sandberg PM4 which has an identical pickup configuration... their MM pickup is even closer to the bridge than mine, and I figure if it's good enough for them... :)  and;

2. I've already been busy with the chisels, so it's kinda a done deal :lol: it's only dropped in the rough hole for the moment, I haven't cleaned any edges or tidied it or anything yet. 

1737308798_P-MM2.jpg.6842681589972e2373ef6f23b39206fe.jpg

Im in envy of your skills, I cant even solder, I am sure it will sound killer, 1/2" really isnt a large amount, besides those MM style pickups are much meatier sounding than most other pickup types, imagine how weedy a Jazz bass would sound if the neck pickup was moved to MM position

• Thanks 1

It's done :) very pleased with the result, quite surprised at how un-Raylike the sound is with the MM pickup solo'd but pleasantly surprised as it's a good usable sound -- very distinctively different to anything else in my wee collection, which was the entire point of the exercise to begin with, so it's mission accomplished :D the series/single/parallel switch makes for maximum flexibility too. It's passive V/V/T at the moment and I'll probably leave it like that.

PMM 3.jpg

Edited by Rich
  • Like 3

On 05/06/2020 at 19:17, Rich said:

It's done :) very pleased with the result, quite surprised at how un-Raylike the sound is with the MM pickup solo'd but pleasantly surprised as it's a good usable sound -- very distinctively different to anything else in my wee collection, which was the entire point of the exercise to begin with, so it's mission accomplished :D the series/single/parallel switch makes for maximum flexibility too. It's passive V/V/T at the moment and I'll probably leave it like that.

Thats looks really cool. Job well done 👏👏👏

Edited by Rich
Quoted pic removed
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Rich said:

Looks good, of course Stingrays have a hefty preamp amp that I suspect heavily colours the tone so there is that difference that may account for the tonal difference

Nice work 👍

Edited by Rich
Quoted pic removed
  • Thanks 1

I was listening to some music on Youtube and I was listening to this live track and I instantly thought about what you said about your bass sounding un-Raylike , if I were not watchign the video I would never think this was a Stingray

[youtube]

Edited by Rich
Quoted pic removed