Why become a member? ×

Alternative pickup for P bass?

Rich

My bitsa P bass isn't seeing any action at the moment, because it's comprehensively outgunned P-sound wise by my Thunder 1A. So I've been toying with the idea of changing the pickup to get a different sound. But what to try? I don't want anything modern/hi-fi, quite the opposite in fact. And I definitely don't want to swap one P pickup for another slightly different P pickup. So, a mudbucker maybe? A Tbird pickup? Darkstar would be nice but out of my price league. What would you guys suggest? Have any of you done a similar mod, and if so whaddya got?

Edited by Rich

I definitely want it less P like. I don't need two P basses and as I said, the Thunder 1A does the P job brilliantly. I fancy something completely different, hence my wondering about mudbuckers and Darkstars and so on. I don't just want to swap one P pickup for another P pickup.

I think the P pickup position is going to give you the P tone to some degree unless you go for something like a single coil pickup.

If you’re willing to route the body, as it seems like you are, I’d toy with doing the Billy Sheehan / Callowhill LeFave mod with the humbucker right by the neck, to dial in some low end fundamental... or the Lee Sklar mod with the second P pickup by the bridge. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think that P basses with a Darkstar pickup is the second coolest looking thing on earth.

The coolest looking thing on earth is a Jazz bass with two Darkstars.

That doesn't really help as you've already said you can't afford/justify the cost of a Darkstar  but are there cheaper alternatives?

image-asset.jpeg

• Like 1

On 08/05/2020 at 20:30, therealting said:

I think the P pickup position is going to give you the P tone to some degree unless you go for something like a single coil pickup.

If you’re willing to route the body, as it seems like you are, I’d toy with doing the Billy Sheehan / Callowhill LeFave mod with the humbucker right by the neck, to dial in some low end fundamental... or the Lee Sklar mod with the second P pickup by the bridge. 

Or both.

Might as well while the router is plugged in!

• Like 2

I've got a P and I put a Fender USA pickup on it; it sounds really good!

hIjp7xO.jpg

It is a good bass.

I did have a Shadow (German) pickup on it, but that got shifted to my Frankenstein.

Yy2nmbU.jpg

I've also got a very beaten up MIM Precision, but I don't recall what it sounds like, TBH...

cnevLEa.jpg

I did have a Squier, which I sold for £60 - it was surprisingly good;  I think it was all stock.

szT5T4B.jpg

That said, when I plugged in my Thunder, I did do a double-take, because it sounds darned good!

q8jwOwN.jpg

It is bloomin' heavy, though!

If I were starting out from scratch, I'd be looking at the EMG Geezer pickups.

(Dunno how I ended up with 3 Precisions - a few years back I'd have laughed if someone suggested I'd even have one!)

1 hour ago, prowla said:

when I plugged in my Thunder, I did do a double-take, because it sounds darned good!

q8jwOwN.jpg

Yup, my 1A is the same :) which is why my P is getting no action at the moment... It's completely outgunned tonally in terms of P sounds. The 1A is a monster.

I'm definitely not afraid of a bit of woodwork, I 'routed' out a battery box cavity in my OLP Ray body the other day using just drills and chisels, and the result was better than i could have hoped, so I'm more than happy to have a go at this twenty-quid P body :)  

Here's a mad idea...? PSX_20200510_152718.thumb.jpg.3a83eee4ceb5f1120a0e73646c5c6d2a.jpg

Or double mudbuckers

5 minutes ago, Rich said:

Yup, my 1A is the same :) which is why my P is getting no action at the moment... It's completely outgunned tonally in terms of P sounds. The 1A is a monster.

I'm definitely not afraid of a bit of woodwork, I 'routed' out a battery box cavity in my OLP Ray body the other day using just drills and chisels, and the result was better than i could have hoped, so I'm more than happy to have a go at this twenty-quid P body :)  

Here's a mad idea...? PSX_20200510_152718.thumb.jpg.3a83eee4ceb5f1120a0e73646c5c6d2a.jpg

Or double mudbuckers

• Like 1

7 hours ago, prowla said:

I've got a P and I put a Fender USA pickup on it; it sounds really good!

hIjp7xO.jpg

It is a good bass.

I did have a Shadow (German) pickup on it, but that got shifted to my Frankenstein.

Yy2nmbU.jpg

I've also got a very beaten up MIM Precision, but I don't recall what it sounds like, TBH...

cnevLEa.jpg

I did have a Squier, which I sold for £60 - it was surprisingly good;  I think it was all stock.

szT5T4B.jpg

That said, when I plugged in my Thunder, I did do a double-take, because it sounds darned good!

q8jwOwN.jpg

If I were starting out from scratch, I'd be looking at the EMG Geezer pickups.

(Dunno how I ended up with 3 Precisions - a few years back I'd have laughed if someone suggested I'd even have one!)

I loved my old Thunder 1A and  wish I had never got rid of it. That deserves another thread