Why become a member? ×

All the casual punter really needs

Even the most die-hard fans of certain bands would have to admit most of their albums are pretty samey and that one or two is all casual fans might need. So, to BC hardcore fans of such bands , what would you  recommend to casual punters who might  quite like some of their of their stuff. Kicking off with some from my CD collection...

ZZ Top - the 2CD Rancho Texicano, with 38 songs from across their career to 2004, this has all their best stuff though there are skippable tunes

Quo - some bands are just better live than in the studio and IMO the  Live album from SQs 'classic' line-up  trumps their other stuff. All the tunes have more muscle than the studio originals. 

AC/DC - like Quo's Live, 'If You Want Blood' is 1000 x better than anything they did in the studio. I'm definitely in the Bon Scott camp

Motorhead -  You'll Get Yours single best of CD. I got this as it has Ace of Spades, Bomber, Overkill, Motorhead and Please Don't Touch. Don't have much time for the post Fast Eddie and Philthy Animal era.

Foo Fighters - In Your Honour CD1, cracking rockier side but IMO the acoustic CD is a bit meh. 

Ramones - the singles were where this lot were at and TBH  the first Mania comp has all the good bits

Slayer -  the obvious choice really. Don't think you'll find much argument 

Rage Against The Machine - love their rap-rock sound but the debut is really the only 'essential' the other albums are paler imitations

Edited by Barking Spiders

9 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

AC/DC - like Quo's Live, 'If You Want Blood' is 1000 x better than anything they did in the studio. I'm definitely in the Bon Scott camp

Did they fix the really thin sound when they remastered it though? (assuming they did remaster) I had the original vinyl copy back in the day and it was unpleasantly tinny-sounding.

Edited by nilebodgers

There’s a Sting and the Police best of I've got called “Fields of Gold”. Twofer... all you need from both on one CD

The recent Wembley Or Bust live album by ELO is a pretty good  career overview with a DVD thrown in for good measure (and has my chum Jo playing keys). Or the 2 CD All Over The World - The Ultimate Collection - all the hits and more. Or just buy Out Of The Blue!

The Essential Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble 2 CD best of is pretty much all you’d ever need to know. But even better is the Couldn’t Stand The Weather (Legacy Edition) double CD - one of SRV’s best albums on one CD with  a host of really good quality bonus tracks. Then on CD 2 a live album which really demonstrates SRV and Double Trouble’s raw power as a live unit.

Edited by TrevorR
  • Like 1

Nomeansno - Wrong. (one of the best records ever made in my humble opinion... and Rob Wright's bass playing and sound😳

James Brown - Love Power Peace Live in Paris 71

Parliament - Tear the roof off

The Cure - Standing by the sea

Thin Lizzy - Live and Dangerous film or CD

ACDC - Let There be Rock Live in Paris DVD

Stevie Wonder - For once in my life/Inner Visions

Black Sabbath - Master of Reality

Public Enemy - it takes a nation of millions

Meters - Rejuvination

Funkin on the 1- 5 CD compilation - hard to find but has all the proper fonk you will ever need. 

ELO - out of the blue... I know but it has some classics on it. 

I must stop for now as my boy wants my phone to play Mario Run 😃

Edited by P-Belly Evans

14 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

Ramones - the singles were where this lot were at and TBH  the first Mania comp has all the good bits.

Surely for the Ramones it would be the first “It’s Alive” album which is all the best songs from the first three studio albums. The only thing missing for me is Rock n Roll Radio.

The only band I have listened to for the last few years is the Grateful Dead, my recommendation to anyone who expresses an interest in them is the live CD from May 8th 1977 at Cornell. It's a good introduction to the their music, played live, as it should be, and is available on CD or digitally from a variety of sources.

51 minutes ago, Merton said:

Metallica - ReLoad and St Anger

🧐

Anything after the  black album, maybe Load and re load .I don't even know the songs or titles of any albums after reload. Well I know at anger is out but that's about as much I know. Never ever listened to any songs on post reload albums.

30 minutes ago, Bassassin said:

Thread needs to be renamed "What's your personal favourite album by (insert artist here).

I say this simply because so many of the recommendations are so very, very wrong! :lol:

To be fair, my recommendations about Metallica were not exactly serious 🤓

Edited by Merton
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Merton said:

To be fair, my recommendations about Metallica were not exactly serious 🤓

I hoped that was the case! Can never tell though, they've been depressingly & increasingly popular since Load. I remember a mate who'd been a big fan since Kill 'Em All days coming back from seeing them on that tour ranting "They should just call themselves 'Licker' - 'cos they're not f**king metal any more!" :lol:

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Bassassin said:

I hoped that was the case! Can never tell though, they've been depressingly & increasingly popular since Load. I remember a mate who'd been a big fan since Kill 'Em All days coming back from seeing them on that tour ranting "They should just call themselves 'Licker' - 'cos they're not f**king metal any more!" :lol:

I like Load, it’s got a special place in my heart as it reminds me of a trip to the Czech Republic, but I totally understand the older fan base being alienated. And let’s face it, it’s not in the top 5 Metallica records!

12 minutes ago, Ricky 4000 said:

I only said it because there was a space after the Sex Pistols, and you were on a break, Sir! 👍

Sometimes (this being an example) I get fed up with saying the same thing over and over but every time I do someone else does so at least I'm not alone digging PiL.

• Like 1

AC/DC - Powerage - just the best collection of raucous hard rock n roll ever. Riff Raff and Gone Shootin - epic.

I got stuck trying to get out of Reading when we had that load of snow in late 2010, left work at 5 got home at 11.30 (20 miles) I had this on most of the time in the car - made the whole thing rather enjoyable. 

Stevie Ray Vaughn - Couldn't Stand the Weather. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, P-Belly Evans said:

Nomeansno - Wrong. (one of the best records ever made in my humble opinion... and Rob Wright's bass playing and sound😳

James Brown - Love Power Peace Live in Paris 71

Parliament - Tear the roof off

The Cure - Standing by the sea

Thin Lizzy - Live and Dangerous film or CD

ACDC - Let There be Rock Live in Paris DVD

Stevie Wonder - For once in my life/Inner Visions

Black Sabbath - Master of Reality

Public Enemy - it takes a nation of millions

Meters - Rejuvination

Funkin on the 1- 5 CD compilation - hard to find but has all the proper fonk you will ever need. 

ELO - out of the blue... I know but it has some classics on it. 

I must stop for now as my boy wants my phone to play Mario Run 😃

I challenge you all to point out where I am wrong😎. Maybe ELO for the proper prog fans and Sabbath for the meow meow rock fans (technical ecstasy anyone? ) ..... the rest are bang on correctamundo. I could force my obviously correct opinion on you with more choices but I can't be bothered anymore and have thrown out all my toys😘...... Oh and by the way 

😂😂😂🍷😍

PS kudos for the first person to reply with the  connection between an early ELO album cover and Sabbath.....