Why become a member? ×

What Has Basschat Ever Done For Us?

stewblack

Thank you for some great new friends....

Thank you for new music, new knowledge....

Thank you for emptying my bank account on numerous occasions (obviously it’s actually my rubbish will power but I’ll blame BC) 

Well, its kept me my sanity in these weird times, and given me Barefaced cabs, I thank you all for those 2 things!

Its also given me a steady supply of giggles and stress...mainly when I lurk in off topic.  I daren't post much over there, it wouldn't be pretty.

Mainly its given me a chance to meet many wonderful people in weird out of the the way places, where furtive deals have been made.  I love it!!

6 minutes ago, WAYNESWORLD said:

Taught me that anything weighing over 8lbs is to heavy to hang from a strap and if I want to sell musical related products bathroom scales are essential.

NOOOO... have you learned nothing?  Bathroom scales are wildly inaccurate!  ;)

It’s reassured me that my almost fanatical 35 year affection for 2EQ Stingrays is not unusual, that Precisions *need* to be beaten-up sunburst, with flats and a rosewood board, and that the Steinberger XL2 is a bona-fide design classic which I was lucky enough to own for the first time thanks to Basschat.

Edited by MattM

4 hours ago, Bobthedog said:

One thing it has not taught me is what is the best guitar for metal.

4 hours ago, Skinnyman said:

But it still hasn’t told me which bass is best for metal.

2 hours ago, CamdenRob said:

Frankly though what’s been the point of it all if we haven’t even decided which bass is best for metal...

1 hour ago, gjones said:

Although I still don't know if my bass is good for metal?

Seriously? I thought the stop reading other posts was a separate thread. :biggrin:

• Haha 3

I’ve had a mixed bag of experience here, certainly made some long term acquaintances, and also fallen out with a couple.
I’ve learned that every day is a school day when it comes to vintage Fenders in particular, and there are many with much knowledge, to whom I’ve acknowledged and respected. 
I’ve enjoyed sharing my collection, and enjoyed looking at that of others.

I’ve shared builds and viewed enviously at the talents of proper luthiers, and not the assemblers, like me. 
I’ve bought, sold, traded, and given plenty of parts and bits away to folks in need of that old knob , cover or screw. 

I’ve enjoyed the debates, and the jokes, and the sales and the trades.

I’ve spent far too many hours scrolling through the various sale posts, and spent far too much money, some of which was unnecessary, all of which made me happy!

Overall, I visit less now than in previous years, as there appears to be less topics and posts that tickle my particular pickle, but I still dip in, and enjoy when I do. 

I hope to, for times to come too! 

All good here, keep playing, keep safe! 

Edited by Rick's Fine '52
  • Like 1

I have discovered many things

+1 for Ashdown

Flatwound strings, if only on my Hofner.

Also the biggest and most obvious is the pickup sweet spot. 

I also found my old Manson bass.

But the weirdest thing definitely was finding the right handed version of my late bandmate's left handed Jackson bass.

A brief recollection for you

Back in the late 80s, music shop owner, Big Mart, ordered a custom Jackson bass. It had a Star wars graphic and kahler trem. He went to view it at the music show but they'd made it right handed. Big Mart was a lefty

Jackson rushed thru a lefty version. The original right handed version ended up it Brixton musical exchange. It was sold, end of story

Big Mart passed away nearly 5 years ago, we carried the band on and I switched to bass and vocals

I then posted on BC and Talkbass and various other musical forums, searching for the said right handed version.

and on what would have been Big Mart's birthday, I got a message from the owner of the right handed Jackson. He bought it from BEM and still had it.

Unbelievable but true 

• Like 3

Convinced me that I needed another One10 because 2 will sound gooder and better than just 1 on it's own.

Shamed me because I use a music stand and a curly lead.

Exposed me to folk the like of whom I haven't a clue what they're talking about.

Edited by grandad

Thank you Basschat firstly for being here, for providing discussion, interest and topical debate which in turn has led to me 'talking' to, and meeting, a bunch of friendly and helpful people.👍

• Like 1

I know a good few have already mentioned GAS but surely it has also taught us that we are not alone if we suffer from serious GAS, we can turn to our partners and show that we are not weird, odd or broken (not sure about @Teebs though!!) and that through this wonderful site we find genuine therapy from our friends who will happily share with us photos and experiences of that wonderful feeling of new gear and GAS relief (even if we know it is only short term relief) 

For that I salute you Basschat and its strange sister site "Asschat" the one we don't mention too often!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Also taught me that this place hosts the best worst jokes posts on the planet, which has lifted me so many times when I'm pee'd off and especially in these worrying times. Thanks go to  Basschat and all who contribute.👍

Edited by WAYNESWORLD
  • Like 1

Actually I have realised something rather crucial. I wouldn't be still playing without Basschat. I learned about lightweight gear here. Barefaced cabs, crucial to my continued musical career. Quite simply I would have given up humping that bloody great 8x10 everywhere. 

20 hours ago, Frank Blank said:

Well obviously the GAS, clean sanitation, and the aqueducts.

Yes, yes obviously but apart from the GAS, clean sanitation, roads, education and the Aqueducts, what has Basschat ever done for us?