Why become a member? ×

What Has Basschat Ever Done For Us?

stewblack

I'll start. Thank you BC for introducing me to James Jamerson, Joe Dart and Geddy Lee. Thank you for helping me to find out which basses I really like. Thank you for telling me about Ashdown. Thank you for helping me to read and write music. Thank you for supportive words when my private life went through the mincer. Thank you for introducing me to new swear words. I no longer use the words flip, nasty pasty and pink torpedo in public. Instead I replace them wherever possible with flip, nasty pasty and pink torpedo.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

I started off as I has spent a silly amount on a fuzz pedal that I didn't ever use and wanted to sell it. Figured that I should post a few time for politeness sake...

Then I realised that if I sold my spare bass for £X and added a little more money to it I could afford @warwickhunt's blue Streamer.... 

years and dozens of basses later I guess thanks basschat for the  journey and the great people who I could trust to buy and sell too... 
I guess I did the thing most of us have done, where we go down a rabbit hole of GAS and wanting the latest shiny thing, and then back out again to the point you realise you're just happy with what you've got, and gear the player does not make.
Shout outs to: 
@stevie for designing an amazing bass cab, @EBS_freak for helping me find some IEM that work, @Rick's Fine '52 for the JV Squier chat years back, @Bassassin for his japanese bass knowledge @owen for his love of intricate differences between preamps that you can defiantly tell in the mix, and probably a load more folk that I've enjoyed talking to that I can't think of right now.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thanks BC for turning me into a rabid, frothing gear freak. I'm thinking of building a house out of my surplus amps and pedals, but I have nobody to leave it to since I sold the kids ages ago and the wife has run off with a bearded, pipe smoking mandolin player who's had the same gear since 1968.

• Haha 3

It has taught me that tort is good / is not good for a pickguard. It has taught me that a PA is compulsory for pub gigs, apart from when it is not. It has taught me that 4 is the correct number of strings for a bass guitar, unless you have 5 or more. It has taught me that 8ms of lag is too much, except when it is not. It has taught me that the best compressor pedal is always the one I do not have. It has taught me that reading music is the only way to get on, unless you already have gotten on without reading. It has taught me that a p bass is the go to instrument, unless one prefers something else. It has taught me that jokes I think are good are bad and that all retailers are not good unless you have had a good experience of them. Finally; it has taught me most people on here are good people.

One thing it has not taught me is what is the best guitar for metal.

Thank you BC - I am / I am not a better person thanks to you.

Edited by Bobthedog
  • Like 4
  • Haha 4

I think mainly it was all the unwritten rules of gigging. All the non musical stuff that your bass lessons alone don't teach you. Such as: introduce yourself to the sound person, thank the sound person, never assume you can share gear without checking in person with the other bassist, always carry a billion spare guitar leads and extension leads.. I could go on!! 

Also advice on the advantages and pitfalls of depping. I like to think I was starting to build up a good reputation as a 'safe pair of hands' before the current situation put a spanner in the works. 

• Like 1

Basschat gave us the last critical mass before the final dissoluton of the instrument to a historic footnote as a guitar variant played in the lower register by the tall friend of the singer.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Brexit, Coronavirus, Music stands aside - in the 6 short years I’ve been here I’ve found it one of the most inclusive online groups there is. Low on cliques, and a lot of goodwill.  

Did wonder if this was because bass folk - used to supporting the rest of the band - naturally are more supportive at heart? - but if you’ve spend any time on the Other site, you’ll know this isn’t always the case.