Why become a member? ×

How much does your bass weigh?

TheGreek

Another good option is kitchen scales.  I have a digital one which wasn't very expensive (under £10 I think).  (I discovered a secondary benefit is that I can also use it in the kitchen!)

The thing about any scales is that there will always be a trade-off between its maximum capacity and its absolute error.  What I mean is that for consumer bathroom scales, which are designed to approximately weigh a human, it's not a marketing or manufacturing disaster for these units to be out by a kg or two: the difference between 74kg and 75kg is not too much of a bother.  But when weighing a bass guitar, the difference between 4kg and 5kg is huge.

So with the fishing or kitchen scales, whose max capacity is only a few kg, the error will be maybe +/-100g which is a lot more accurate. I think it's a good purchase for any seller, since the weight seems to be very important to some buyers.

Edited by jrixn1

1 hour ago, ClassicVibes said:

Is weighing yourself and then weighing yourself holding a bass not the best idea then? 

There's a granularity mismatch. I suppose it's like using a weighbridge to weigh yourself.  Whether your method is to stand on it directly, or to weigh your lorry twice (one with you in the cab, one without), it's never going to be that accurate.

2 minutes ago, jrixn1 said:

There's a granularity mismatch. I suppose it's like using a weighbridge to weigh yourself.  Whether your method is to stand on it directly, or to weigh your lorry twice (one with you in the cab, one without), it's never going to be that accurate.

Thought that might be the case. Although, I don't like going on the scales in general... 

I use the 'holding the bass while weighing yourself' method, but I only hop on the scales once, then deduct what I know I weigh.

The only thing is most of my basses are between 35 and 40 kilos somehow. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

17 hours ago, ClassicVibes said:

Is weighing yourself and then weighing yourself holding a bass not the best idea then? 

You have to be careful not to stand on one leg, because that would give a misleading result. :|

On 07/05/2020 at 15:45, ClassicVibes said:

Most 'analogue' bathroom scales are woefully inaccurate.  TBH that and some sellers eagerness to make a sale can mean a 10lb bass becomes 8lb when folks use that method.  My bathroom digital scales also vary by 2lb depending on wheher you stand balanced on heels or toes.  :(  

Our kitchen measuring scales weigh up to 12lb (iirc); lie the bass nice and flat on the balance point near the neck and you get a good accurate reading.  

On 07/05/2020 at 16:50, EssentialTension said:

Just get a set of luggage scales ... https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2047675.m570.l2632.R2.TR12.TRC2.A0.H1.TRS0&_nkw=luggage+scales&_sacat=157967

You can also weigh your luggage. If we are ever allowed to go anywhere ever again.

Yup, that's what I use. I bought one that looked reasonable for £8-10 and it's been very useful. For luggage as well as solving the "how much does my bass weigh?" questions. You don't want to arrive to a Ryan Air flight with a suitcase that's 3 grams over the limit...

14 hours ago, mcnach said:

Yup, that's what I use. I bought one that looked reasonable for £8-10 and it's been very useful. For luggage as well as solving the "how much does my bass weigh?" questions. You don't want to arrive to a Ryan Air flight with a suitcase that's 3 grams over the limit...

Yep, it once cost me £70 excess, flying back from Istanbul.

3 hours ago, EssentialTension said:

Yep, it once cost me £70 excess, flying back from Istanbul.

Been there...

Not Istanbul, the amazing surcharge for a slightly heavier than allowed luggage. I remember looking around at a few... rotund people around me, and thinking that surely they should make a combined passenger+luggage allowance. I'm half the weight of some of those people on the flight, yet I have to pay  something like £45 for an additional 3Kg? Some of those people have just gained 3Kg at their breakfast alone!