Why become a member? ×

Lockdown GAS

I tried the, leave it and you'll get over it, plan. I just ambush myself when I'm not paying attention. 

I did go several months without bass GAS back when I was buying and selling pedals all the time. 

Then one got its hook in me and the whole crazy thing was off again. I regret every bass I sell, but have to fund the new stuff somehow. It's bonkers really. 

However, effects, amps and cabs seem to have settled. Cases straps, stands and leads are flatlining. 

My GAS list only has 3 basses in the red zone, and a few on the back burner. 

Luckily I can't afford any of them right now. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, T-Bay said:

Thankfully I want an American Jazz in lake placid blue with maple and block neck. I say thankfully as they are hardly common and I am skint......

That’s my “dream” jazz. Sire did LPB and maple/blocks and I got excited. Then the did matched headstock, which on maple boards (in my opinion) looks turd

• Like 1

I got shot of 3 basses last year but even so I now  I've been having GAS for a Sire Marcus Miller M7 in natural finish for 3 weeks and there are no signs of it abating. I feel that two basses is not enuff when in fact it should be. Clearly lockdown has affected my faculties. The only way of curing this latest bout is if I succumbed to either a Ray 34 or a MIJ Jazz , both also in natural finish. Maybe all 3 if i win  big in Friday's Euromillions

The trouble for me is not so much the GAS as the refusal to let go of what I've got to make room for/justify the new acquisition. 

I thought I had everything I need before lockdown but now I've got real gas for a spector Euro 4LX. That would put me at 4 basses - which I know is at least 1 too many. But I can't get rid of:

My Stingray cos I've had it for 30-odd years and its still my favourite

My Corvette $$ cos it's a five string and there are 2 or 3 songs with the current band where I use it

My Jazz cos at some point I'll need something passive and old school! - and it's a flamed maple top thing of beauty

Thing is I do have 4 wall hangers, one of which is occupied by an 80's ibanez studio geetar... which I could get rid of.....🤔

Edited by Dazm66

On 03/06/2020 at 11:09, gjones said:

I really want to buy a Sonic Blue Fender Original 60s Jazz Bass. I already own 8 Jazz Basses!

Why????

I think I need help :crazy:

I want one of these as well 🤷‍♂️
I have a Darryl Jones but am finding myself looking at fender 60s jazzes more and more the last few weeks. I also have a sonic blue AVRI 63 P Bass, so the jazz would be a lovely companion for it 😂

I also abide by the 3 month rule, and I still want a 60s jazz and I also want a darkglass x ultra and a Sandberg after nearly 3 months of lockdown. So, the next few weeks might be a challenge 😩

I know the feeling. 
I have no real idea why but I’m jonesing for another bc rich. There’s a mockingbird on eBay at the moment which has been doing the circuit for some time- it has a reserve, but the start price is clearly to high, as it never receives a bid. 
I check on it a couple of times a day 😂

• Haha 1

I found the best cure for GAS, and it's a self-concluding cycle, so this way you'll never need to buy another instrument again!

My GAS-Reduction system works on three simple assumptions:

• Own only 1 or 2 basses of high emotional/practical, but low economic value.
  • Set your GAS to trigger only on unrealistically expensive, 12k+ instruments
  • Do not set aside any money for instruments: drugs and alcohol are good money sinks for this!

Here's how the game theory works:

You own a Jazz copy worth 80 quid, it's your best friend, and you've spent countless hours practicing it, it's literally YOUR instrument.

Now you start GASsing for an Alembic Classic worth 30k. You spend lots of time listening to samples, watching pics, documentaries, you stalk the builders around, and know you'll never be able to afford one. 

GAS mounts up even more, and you look at your savings. 3k. You wouldn't want to sell your main axe for it because your grandpa gifted it to you before departing, and even if you did it would yield enough money for a return ticket between zones 1-4 in London. You get depressed and spend it on alcohol, and cry over your Jazz copy. The next day, you feel energised and your GAS cycle can start over. However, you'll have noticed, you will have NOT bought the object of your GAS. You put more practice time into your bass, cementifying even more the strong bond. 

You can trust me, this system works EVERY SINGLE TIME!

Look at me, I'm the proof it works:

• My 'jazz copy' in this story is a bass I still own and never sold and never will
  • The big first GAS I've ever had was for a signature factory bass worth roughly 8x the price of my bass that I could not afford
  • Cried over it, but never sold mine. Kept fighting with myself if I would be even worthy, aside of the fact I couldn't really afford it
  • ...then I bought it anyway a bit later
  • Then I've had a GAS attack for a boutique high end bass, worth again around 4-5x the price of the previous GAS attack
  • Cried over it, since it was...A MASSIVE AMOUNT OF MONEY, but never sold mine. Again; now I really CANNOT justify it given my playing (in)ability but it's awesome!
  • ...then I bought it anyway a bit later
  • My latest GAS attack is now the highest priced instrument I've ever set my eyes on, roughly 3x the price of the already stupidly expensive previous GAS attack
  • I keep crying over it, since I keep saying I'll never be able to afford NOR justify it, as it would be embarassing for someone with my pathetic playing abilities to be seen with such an instrument...
  • ...I wonder what the next step will be here...*drinks a shot*

As I've shown you, my patented system of GAS control works every single time, hear it from me! Follow these simple rules and you'll soon be GAS free!

...so, where was I? Ah yeah, paying the deposit on that 8k bass..cough cough

• Haha 2

During the lockdown I developed an unexpected and completely irrational urge to own a precision bass. I've never owned one before. Small matter of no money of course, so I've been accumulating bargain and S/H parts to build myself a Bitsa P. We'll see how this turns out.

Edited by Bassworm
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Bassworm said:

During the lockdown I developed an unexpected and completely irrational urge to own a precision bass. I've never owned one before. Small matter of no money of course, so I've been accumulating bargain and S/H parts to build myself a Bitsa P. We'll see how this turns out.

I have a few P basses. Most are home made from parts acquired on the internet but by far my fave is my American standard P which Mrs Ubits very accomplished  guitar playing brother has borrowed. Promised to return very soon about two weeks ago and still has it. I am pining for it back. I have 14 other basses but that is my no.1. When he borrowed it he said is it ok? She said he has loads next door of course it's ok. I just smiled and gritted my teeth. He borrowed it before and asked to borrow it and I was like NO WAY! I think he is hoping I cave and say just keep it but God I miss it!

18 hours ago, akabane said:

As I've shown you, my patented system of GAS control works every single time, hear it from me! Follow these simple rules and you'll soon be GAS free!

...so, where was I? Ah yeah, paying the deposit on that 8k bass..cough cough

Your GAS management system sounds almost identical to mine. I have one refinement to add - I have a dual carriageway of desire due to playing guitar as well as bass. Keeping these two in balance is a good distraction technique for GAS in the other lane.

This works so well that on Monday, the first day shops were open, I went and bought a Gretsch Falcon

Oops. Back in the Bass GAS lane again then...

• Like 1

I have a different kind if GAS....... Gear Abstinance Syndrome. I'm glad to say I'm pretty much done as far as gear goes unless it's replacing worn out stuff.

Lockdown & furlough has given me free time to learn to play double bass.

Well I'm nearly proud of myself. I have my one electric bass in bits prepping it for a DIY refin and it kind of feels now like I don't have it (it won't be back together for about 8 weeks weather permitting)..

Anyway I had an orange Player Precision in the basket earlier, trigger finger twitching. Managed to delete it in time!

How I fair over the weekend after a couple of beers though is anyone's guess.

1 hour ago, Trueno said:

I thought I was doing OK... but I'm having very unreasonable GAS for a Wilcock short scale bass.

Totally understandable and not unreasonable IMO.

During lockdown, I’ve been doing some home recording, which in itself meant I had to buy some new kit (a Focusrite Solo). As part of the mixing and mastering process, I have a whole new appreciation for compression, which means that, some time next week, I’ll be ordering a compressor for my pedalboard.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ezbass said:

Totally understandable and not unreasonable IMO.

During lockdown, I’ve been doing some home recording, which in itself meant I had to buy some new kit (a Focusrite Solo). As part of the mixing and mastering process, I have a whole new appreciation for compression, which means that, some time next week, I’ll be ordering a compressor for my pedalboard.

I've been recording some bass lines for the band. Experimenting with the EQ curve on Garageband has given me a new appreciation of EQ... mostly cutting rather than boosting... now I've been adjusting all the settings on my amps. Maybe compression next...