Why become a member? ×

Lockdown GAS

Hi all,

During the current situation we find ourselves in, I have found myself GAS'ing for a fretless bass.

I do not need a fretless, I have no use for it (other than to develop my fretless chops).

I need some strong advice from people who have succumbed to the GAS and regretted it. Please dissuade me! I am not strong enough on my own. I have very limited will power.

I'm fairly certain this is a passing phase. I am working from home at a PC all day, and occasionally find myself checking out fretless basses from online retail sites!

Is anyone else experiencing this strange phenomenon??

Cheers all,

Jack

Edited by Jack_Stroud_Bass

After watching Guy Pratt's lockdown licks I have GAS for a US Spector NS2. Luckily I don't have the money for one, even if I sold my two basses. I suppose that it's only a matter of time before I put an ad up looking for a Euro LX or LT as trade for my Stingray

• Like 1

@Delberthot Guy Pratt is a bit of a beast isn't he.

I had the pleasure of playing a Spector Euro 5 string in Bass Direct a few years ago. It was slighty out of my price range then, but I remember loving the Tone Pump circuit, and the B string was killer on account of the 35" scale. If the Euro series was that good, I can't imagine how good the US models would be. You're giving me GAS for something else!

Fortunatley (Or unfortunatley depending on where you're sitting) what I'm GAS'ing for is a Sire V7 P/J fretless. The GAS is hard to combat as they're so affordable. My main basses are Fender USA and EBMM, so likely the Sire isn't on-par with that quality, which is one of the reasons which is stopping me.

I'm always at my most dangerous during quiet spells with the band. my gear is great, I love all of it, but it doesn't stop me wanting something else just for the hell of it. 

There don't appear to be any Euros in the for sale section at the moment but I'm going to keep my eyes peeled.

32 minutes ago, Delberthot said:

I'm always at my most dangerous during quiet spells with the band.

This. I was fine until lockdown, now there are half a dozen things I want, not least of which is to get my old Wal Pro II back!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jack_Stroud_Bass said:

Hi all,

During the current situation we find ourselves in, I have found myself GAS'ing for a fretless bass.

I do not need a fretless, I have no use for it (other than to develop my fretless chops).

I need some strong advice from people who have succumbed to the GAS and regretted it. Please dissuade me! I am not strong enough on my own. I have very limited will power.

I'm fairly certain this is a passing phase. I am working from home at a PC all day, and occasionally find myself checking out fretless basses from online retail sites!

Is anyone else experiencing this strange phenomenon??

Cheers all,

Jack

Here's something to cure your GAS. Say you get furloughed or let go. The wages stop coming in. Can't eat a bass, can you?

• Like 3

Sage words @ClassicVibes Indeed you cannot.

@Earbrass That is a good shout. Wait it out and see if the feeling persists.

Hopefully, it will pass. Like I said in the OP, I think it is just a phase. I have been listening to a lot of The Mars Volta recently, and really like what Juan Aldrette does. He uses a fretless P/J. I think his is a 70s Fender P stock fretless with a bridge pickup added somewhere along the lines.

The other thing is, I think new instruments can detract from practicing sometimes. Does anybody else get that?

I am a member of SBLs, (Scott's Bass Lessons) and have really been enjoying the lessons and courses he offers. I think perhaps that another new instrument would take my attention and focus off what is important - which is to be able to play the bloody thing well!

2 hours ago, Earbrass said:

My GAS rule of thumb: give it 3 months - if I still want it after that I'll usually get it, but often I've lost interest and started GASsing for something different by then. 

Wise words. Due to the lockdown, my short scale GAS seems to have abated. However, my 5 string Sadowsky GAS remains fairly intact, which is a pain.

3 hours ago, Earbrass said:

My GAS rule of thumb: give it 3 months - if I still want it after that I'll usually get it, but often I've lost interest and started GASsing for something different by then. 

1 hour ago, Monkey Steve said:

I have a very similar rule for tattoos

Same here, if not longer. 

I had serious Gas for a Stingray around the time when it all first started before the Lockdown. Had to be an Old Smoothie though coz I want the more mellow tone......I'm just not a massive fan of the harsher Zing from a Stingray. Just not enough cash in the wallet. Got really ill the day of the Lockdown... I'd put all my basses on Covid19. Nearly hospitalised. Two and a half weeks later,  felt better......... Mustang ordered, two days after that nice Mr DPD was at the door. Bit of a tweak here and there, lovely thing. Still want an Old Smoothie. One day, one day...... 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, P-Belly Evans said:

I had serious Gas for a Stingray around the time when it all first started before the Lockdown. Had to be an Old Smoothie though coz I want the more mellow tone......I'm just not a massive fan of the harsher Zing from a Stingray. Just not enough cash in the wallet. Got really ill the day of the Lockdown... I'd put all my basses on Covid19. Nearly hospitalised. Two and a half weeks later,  felt better......... Mustang ordered, two days after that nice Mr DPD was at the door. Bit of a tweak here and there, lovely thing. Still want an Old Smoothie. One day, one day...... 

Fair play to you...?photo

8 hours ago, Earbrass said:

I think I need to adopt this.

I had GAS for a Gibson Thunderbird and I got in touch with guitar Guitar about trading a K5 and a Fender Cabronita. I was offered £200 for each. I nearly told them to eff off! I realise they are a business and have to make money but considering both guitars are in mint condition I was insulted. Consequently my GAS for the Thunderbird coming in at £1.899 was short lived.

• 4 weeks later...