Why become a member? ×

Truss Rod Woe

In brief:

Truss rod won't tighten any more can't put washers before the nut as end of rod thread is stripped and washer covers usable thread. It's a fixed neck. 

Bass only worth a couple of hundred at best. 

It's all over isn't it? 

Pull yourself together, man! Get an iron, and a sturdy British made paint spatula, and have at that fingerboard. Heat her up and prise her off! Then, in with the new truss rod.

Think of the sense of achievement and your modest display of British pluck! Should only take you about a week.

So following the principle of the video above I excavated  the end of the trussrod (using less finesse but did the job) and revealed more thread. But alas the whole thing must be seized in there . the moment I began tightening (strings off slight pressure on neck to take strain off the rod) and the end just sheared off inside the nut. So I have a nice wall hanging or a  bass that is good for the first few frets

Edited by stewblack
  • Sad 2

... sorry to hear that. I once snapped a truss rod on a newly acquired used Warwick Streamer LX Jazzman. Great bass but the neck had an unnoticed slight twist. Had it nearly perfect then the good old ‘just a bit more’ and snap!!! Jon Shuker worked wonders on it though.

9 minutes ago, jimbobothy said:

... sorry to hear that. I once snapped a truss rod on a newly acquired used Warwick Streamer LX Jazzman. Great bass but the neck had an unnoticed slight twist. Had it nearly perfect then the good old ‘just a bit more’ and snap!!! Jon Shuker worked wonders on it though.

Jon Shuker also worked wonders on my G&L when the truss rod lifted and broke the fretboard.  It came back better than new, with stainless frets and you can not see any finish damage.  Super job all round at an extremely reasonable price. 

Thanks for all the support and suggestions. I will try light strings but it's pretty bad with no strings!! 

I did toy with the idea of letting someone who knows what they're doing loose on it. I've 

I've followed with interest a couple of threads where a basic instrument has been transformed into a thing of beauty and wonder. But I honestly don't know if it is worth what that must surely cost. 

It's not all that special after all. 

But in the hands of a master (and there are some here) maybe it could be. 

@stewblack I don't know how hands on you are or how confident you are trying things like I'm about to suggest, but if it's going to end up a wall hanging then there's nothing to lose.

You could very carefully score through the paint finish between the fretboard binding and the neck using a scalpel or similar very sharp knife. Use a steel straight edge as a guide and use several slow steady passes until you're confident you've cut through the paint. Then heat the fretboard, being careful not to blister the lacquer or binding, and prise the fretboard off. Replace rod, reglue fretboard and then, once dry, very carefully run superglue (or lacquer if you have some, even clear nail varnish) in the paint crack between the binding and neck, the glue will wick into the gap and can be wet flatted and polished up once dry. 

With patience and care this could be a virtually invisible repair. 

Good luck with whatever you try. 🙂

On 07/05/2020 at 15:35, stewblack said:

So I have a nice wall hanging or a  bass that is good for the first few frets

To be fair that gives you quite a few songs!

I think I would try the replacing the truss rod thing, just because I have no idea how to do it, I am not very good, but don't have much to lose!

Edited by Woodinblack
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Maude said:

@stewblack I don't know how hands on you are or how confident you are trying things like I'm about to suggest, but if it's going to end up a wall hanging then there's nothing to lose.

You could very carefully score through the paint finish between the fretboard binding and the neck using a scalpel or similar very sharp knife. Use a steel straight edge as a guide and use several slow steady passes until you're confident you've cut through the paint. Then heat the fretboard, being careful not to blister the lacquer or binding, and prise the fretboard off. Replace rod, reglue fretboard and then, once dry, very carefully run superglue (or lacquer if you have some, even clear nail varnish) in the paint crack between the binding and neck, the glue will wick into the gap and can be wet flatted and polished up once dry. 

With patience and care this could be a virtually invisible repair. 

Good luck with whatever you try. 🙂

I am not incapable with my hands, my biggest handicap is my inability to work patiently. Maybe this lockdown will be the perfect opportunity to learn. 

4 minutes ago, Maude said:

Another thing that makes it a little more tricky, same process, but more cumbersome, is I'm guessing it's neck through rather than bolt on. 

Yes. If it was bolt on I would be be at it already. To be honest a bit of mojo on an old bass doesn't bother me, and an instrument which can't be played is a sad sight. 

My time is incredibly cheap and what does a scalpel cost? Other than a couple of fingers, probably. 

Yes, mind those fingers, I'd hate to convince someone to have a go at something and they then injure themselves. You know your limits. 

Warming the paint with a heatgun or hairdryer would soften it ever so slightly to help it not chip or splinter when cutting. 

If you removed the pickguard, you could lever the fingerboard from that end, then any damage would be less visable, easier to tidy up and wouldnt be felt when playing. 

If you do go for it maybe start a topic in the build section as there's vastly superior knowledge to mine in there that would give guidance. 

• Thanks 1