Why become a member? ×

Plucking Hand Technique

MayaMan

Noobie Question

Hi all, I am a 6 string guitarist of more years than I care to mention. I have started setting up home recording facilities and to help with that I am going to provide the bass parts myself. Now, I would eventually like to become 'good/proficient' on the bass and recognise that I will need to put in a bit of work. So, I want to start practicing the bass and want to make sure that I avoid learning any bad habits as I start.

As an existing musician, lets say proficient on the 6 string guitar in terms of music theory, scales, rhythm etc..., I recognise that with the bass I will have to learn some new skills. The first one that strikes my mind is plucking hand technique (i.e. how many fingers to use and when to use a particular finger). With regards to this particular skill do members have any thoughts, advice, possible books or DVDs to consider. As I say I would like to be proficient and I recognise that there will probably be contrasting views on this so any rationale provided in any advice would be useful. I am prepared to dedicate time to reach my goal (like most I have lots of time in lockdown ;-)). So, any pro advice no matter how long it takes to master will be much appreciated. The music genres I am interested in are jazz, fusion,  progressive rock, blues and rock

Thanks in advance