Why become a member? ×

Eminance waist extension

MrTea

Just got myself an Eminance portable upright and like many threads have said before it's a great instrument. Maybe not as loud acoustically as I'd hoped but sounds lovely with a little amplification. Unfortunately it's missing the waist extension and before I go and order one from the US thought I'd just get peoples thoughts on here. Does it do a good enough job or do others end up switching this for something custom? Shipping costs are going to add up on ordering it so didn't want it to arrive then wish I'd rolled my own. 

I've extended mine a bit just by wrapping a load of foam around the but that rests against your body. The supplied waist extension would certainly benefit from a bit of adjustability.

If you're a bit handy with wood, you could easily make your own, I think the trickiest bit would be getting the correct taper on the bit that goes  into the body.

If you're not handy with wood, some of the lovely people who hang out in the build forum might be willing to help you out.

I bought mine secondhand (just over 10 years old) in January this year and it almost feels as new....I've gigged it several times and must have put in over 70 hrs practice at home both with and without the extension. We understand its purpose but I now hardly use mine as I can get that much closer to the fingerboard and it makes playing that much easier for me

Edited by Petey
spelling mistake

Thanks all. I must admit I considered if I could get away without it but being relatively new to upright I have a tendency to grip a little tight on the left hand and thought the waist rest may help. That said at the price imported from the US (looking to be around £60) I may have a think about making something. I didn't want to end up putting too much pressure on the taper. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I recently got one second hand. I found that if I turned it so that is was going vertically up it was more comfortable. My double has very wide shoulders and I could do with the extension being a couple of inches longer to get a similar feel. I may have a go at making something, failing that I know a good carpenter. The best extension I've come across is the one on my Clifton. 

Edited by Apeneck Sweeney
spelling
  • Like 1

I'm sure if you have one for reference then getting an alternative made wouldn't be too hard. I've not tried a Clifton but the extensions do look good - I like the look of the addition of the lower support. That said, the combination of the support and endpin on the Eminance does a pretty good job for me. 

I like the extension, but being thin I found it digging into my side a bit much. I remedied this by having the upper ribs and neck block of a broken double bass transplanted onto it. The extension now serves to support the new rib. Feels so much more realistic to lean against.

On 27/06/2020 at 20:50, Gareth Hughes said:

I like the extension, but being thin I found it digging into my side a bit much. I remedied this by having the upper ribs and neck block of a broken double bass transplanted onto it. The extension now serves to support the new rib. Feels so much more realistic to lean against.

Got any photos of that? It sounds awesome. 

Gareth Hughes: What a brilliant idea! Years ago I bought a double bass that someone---not a bass repairer--let us say more of a DIY 'bodger'-- completely ruined the bass. So being the state that the bass is in I will cut up and make a top bout for the Eminence.

Thanks for the post.

• Like 1

On 26/06/2020 at 16:51, Apeneck Sweeney said:

I recently got one second hand. I found that if I turned it so that is was going vertically up it was more comfortable. My double has very wide shoulders and I could do with the extension being a couple of inches longer to get a similar feel. I may have a go at making something, failing that I know a good carpenter. The best extension I've come across is the one on my Clifton. 

Can you post a pic of the Clifton extension.  I have a Cifton mini bass and find the extension is a bit on the small side.

6 hours ago, 3below said:

Can you post a pic of the Clifton extension.  I have a Cifton mini bass and find the extension is a bit on the small side.

IMG_0660.thumb.jpeg.ba9979de48eda4333ab5cecac48019cf.jpegI've just taken it into my luthier today to get the fingerboard planed, the bridge adjusted and a general polish in order to put it up for sale. I have this picture from a recent gig and I've just taken a few of the detached  extension as that's all I have at home right now.

IMG_0963.jpeg

IMG_0964.jpeg

• Thanks 1