Why become a member? ×

Guitarron Mexicano (handmade Luthier)
£600
Spain

JULIPI

Hello.

I am selling this Mexican guitarron. Built by hand by a well-known Mexican luthier. This is not a cheap and bad copy: it is a top quality luthier instrument. It sounds spectacular and is very comfortable to play. Very good condition. Includes cover.

62981889-D8B3-4BE6-A45C-94AE78A00156.jpeg

C5A98277-AF37-4B25-98B5-F215376199B7.jpeg

BD028CE8-C705-41C0-B059-BA104513D3D0.jpeg

631DA391-2A93-4C28-B334-3E0D9E96FBF3.jpeg

F46E5418-9F21-4E0B-B258-CD92B381CEFB.jpeg

E3DFD23F-58C4-4BD8-850B-218BD4D73F74.jpeg

The nut looks quite poorly glued and the 3rd machine head appears to be coming off as well as some of the screws from the other machine heads coming through the wood... are these modifications done after the initial build? I ask because I've always had an interest in these but those point are of a concern, to me they are telling signs of the quality of the build if they are part of the original design.

• Like 2

the instrument was built 2010 and it is all original. It is completely hand built and therefore has imperfections. A high-end guitarron like Morales can cost about 3000 euros: That is totally perfect. This is an instrument of about 1200 euros and has some improvable finish. however the guitar is very comfortable, professional and sounds great!

mexico its diferent jeje

Please... Do some research in webs and you will see that I am right. I assure you that this is a great handmade instrument. If you saw thomman's guitarron (which can't even be tuned) you would see that I'm right 😉

I wouldn't touch this. The nut looks like it was put in place by a squirrell, very dodgy machine heads and glue and filth in the sound hole. Just no. And I laughed when you used the excuse that the expensive ones are well made but the cheaper one is improveable! No self respecting Luther would put their hands to such a piece of junk.Hahaha! Pull the other one, it's got bells on! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You don't need to be an expert in Mexican Guitarrons to see that the build quality is drastically lacking in this instrument.

A €200 Harley Benton bass or guitar is built with an infinitely better quality that this instrument.

There are basic rules that ever the most low budget of luthiers subscribe to, and what is visible in these pictures is far from the most basic of quality controls. 

To say that these issues are because 'it is Mexican' frankly is insulting to Mexican luthiers. There are a number of builders in Mexico that build basses, guitars and Guitarrons to a standard that far exceeds what I can see of this.

Apologies if these comments are harsh, but they are absolutely true.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, JULIPI said:

I appreciate your wise contributions ... I am sure that as you are experts in Mexican guitarrons, are right in everything you say 🙈... or no...

You dont need to be an expert in mexican guitars to know what passes for top quality. You just need to have an eye for detail and an ounce of common sense. I can craft a nut from scratch and glue it in better than that and i am not a luthier...

Possibly the Mexican man who sold me this guitarron deceived me when he told me that this type of construction is the usual one in Mexico. maybe yes ... maybe not ...

I do not insult anyone: I only know that I have had many guitarrons in my hands and this is one of the best finishes ...and I just know that it sounds very good and it is one of the best guitar I have had.

I am not trying to fool anyone: I just need money for the house and I sell this guitar, as well as I sell my fodera (that is well built) and my infinity.

I have seen your Fodera and the Warwick... now they are examples of excellent build quality. Sadly, this guitarron (to me anyway) is not an acceptable quality. You have clearly made no effort to hide any 'problems' so I absolutely believe you are selling it honestly, for that there is no question! And you are of course entitled to ask any price you wish, but for me personally (I only speak for myself) it is quite obvious that this guitarron is not built to a high standard, visible from your pictures.

It is yours to sell at any price, but many here on Basschat have an eye for quality! 

As I say, good luck with the sale! Your Infinity and Fodera are beautiful things. 

I appreciate your words and above all that you put in value that I show all the flaws of the guitarron in the photos: as you say I do not try to deceive anyone ... I am very serious in my dealings and I like to put all the cards on the table.

I still maintain that this is a good instrument. Although for us in Europe it may seem like a bad instrument in Mexico, this is a good Guitarron.

a hug from spain and thanks.

I doubt if any of us are expert on Guittarons, but the last two posts make the key points clearly . We all expect well-made and immaculately finished instruments, because these are the standards set by the mass market factories in US, Korea, Japan and China. We expect good luthiers to aspire to these, and to add extra quality that justifies the extra cost. But good and bad are relative , and I guess standards differ in different countries. A luthier in Mexico selling to the local market may have a different perspective. Look at Greek bouzoukis, which vary enormously in their finish quality. Whilst many I'm sure are produced for tourists, others are played. Unfortunately a poor build means less years of useful life, and many Greek zouks simply don't last.

I suspect this Guittaron is an instrument destined for the local market. Sell it as such, and someone may buy it.  It's the only guitar-shaped bass instrument that can comfortably hold its own in an acoustic session.

....oops, I spent so long writing this the conversation has moved on. Im sure you are selling honestly.

Good luck with the sale.

Edited by loweringthetone

5 hours ago, Fugazibass said:

I've met carpenters masquerading as butchers who could do a better job. Barge pole. 🙉

Alright we get it... @JULIPI let me know if you want the thread cleaning.

• Like 2