Why become a member? ×

ZZ Top Documentary on Netflix

adamg67

The subject says it all really, there's a ZZ Top doc on Netflix, "ZZ Top: That Little 'Ol Band From Texas".

Nothing very controversial, nice easy watch but a lot of it is Frank, Dusty and Billy and it starts right at, or really before, the beginning. I really liked it, but then I've always liked the band.

Edited by adamg67
  • Like 4

18 minutes ago, Doctor J said:

It’s great apart from the way it misses the last 35 years.

They've been a totally different band since Eliminator anyway. Although, saying that, La Futura was a bit closer to the original idea.

49 minutes ago, Doctor J said:

It’s great apart from the way it misses the last 35 years.

I must admit, I havn't checked out anything they've done since the apltly named Afterburner, I'll have to have a listen.

14 minutes ago, adamg67 said:

I must admit, I havn't checked out anything they've done since the apltly named Afterburner, I'll have to have a listen.

Some great albums in there. Rhythmeen is a particular favourite of mine.

I think one of the reasons I liked it was that they seemed, nowadays at least, a bit more down to earth than some bands. This is maybe linked to the fact that I don't get on very well with the idea that being a "star" excuses being a to55er, which means there are quite a few musicians who I couldn't listen to for more than 10 seconds in a documentary. I'll keep things positive and not get into listing them :)

While they're somewhat predictable in an AC/DC and Status Quo kinda way they , like those bands they're beyond criticism inasmuch as they have a sense of humour and don't take themselves seriously. That said I find a good hits compilation is all the casual 'fan' really needs.

• Like 1

On 06/05/2020 at 11:23, adamg67 said:

The subject says it all really, there's a ZZ Top doc on Netflix, "ZZ Top: That Little 'Ol Band From Texas".

Nothing very controversial, nice easy watch but a lot of it is Frank, Dusty and Billy and it starts right at, or really before, the beginning. I really liked it, but then I've always liked the band.

Just watched this and really enjoyed it. Thanks for the recommendation 😊

7 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

While they're somewhat predictable in an AC/DC and Status Quo kinda way they , like those bands they're beyond criticism inasmuch as they have a sense of humour and don't take themselves seriously. That said I find a good hits compilation is all the casual 'fan' really needs.

I wouldn’t necessarily agree that they are that predictable! There were often quite leftfield tracks and ideas, although you probably had to be a fan to have heard ‘Groovy Little Hippie Pad’ or ‘Manic Mechanic’, etc. Of course, Eliminator was quite unique at the time. 

I saw them at Hammersmith Odeon (pre Eliminator) on one their first ever European shows, which is still one of the best gigs I have seen. Having said that, I wasn’t as impressed with the Eliminator tour and I’m afraid that I haven’t been inspired to buy any of their albums post Afterburner.

Still, a great band on their day…

Edited by peteb

7 hours ago, peteb said:

I wouldn’t necessarily agree that they are that predictable! There were often quite leftfield tracks and ideas, although you probably had to be a fan to have heard ‘Groovy Little Hippie Pad’ or ‘Manic Mechanic’, etc. Of course, Eliminator was quite unique at the time.

Yup, I have their complete back catalogue and there are lots of tracks that are left of centre. At the end of the day they are a blues based rock band from Texas, so most of their material is going to reflect this.

• Like 1