Why become a member? ×

Licking your fingers

beerdragon

[quote name='Marky L' post='424106' date='Mar 3 2009, 01:50 PM']I get into an annoying routine of rubbing my fretting hand on the side of my trousers after every song. It started so I could wipe a bit of sweat off but is now a bit of a habit.[/quote]

Might be mistaken for a one handed Reeves trouser rubbing, there are bylaws around that kind of behaviour in some counties, so watch out!

[quote name='bumfrog' post='424069' date='Mar 3 2009, 01:01 PM']sounds more like ocd to me then anything else.[/quote]

Maybe. To me it sounds like someone who likes the taste of his own fingers too much.

I've seen people stick their fingers in the pants an lick. It's not OCD. They're just dirty f***ers.

[quote name='subaudio' post='424102' date='Mar 3 2009, 01:42 PM']I saw that guy with Chick Corea too, playing the heck out of a 6 string Smith, I figured it was for cooling and to stop blisters ?[/quote]
I've found to my cost in the past that if I get my plucking fingers wet it softens the callouses, which then wear away and I get blisters. Licking them is absolutely the last thing I'd do!

[quote name='bassicinstinct' post='423539' date='Mar 2 2009, 07:07 PM']I've seen Freddie Washington do it live with Steely Dan too, so it [b]MUST[/b] be a good thing eh? :rolleyes: :D[/quote]
Yes!but mr washington keeps a jar of honey on his amp,did you know this?that is why he licks his fingers!!! :)

[quote name='beerdragon' post='423536' date='Mar 2 2009, 07:02 PM']I saw a bass player in a band doing it the other week, every thirty seconds or during every number he would lick his plucking fingers, it got so i couldn't my eyes off him, pluck, lick pluck. don't know what it did to the strings. then i read in Mag today John Deacon did it to.[/quote]
Sounds like OCD. :)

[quote name='beerdragon' post='423536' date='Mar 2 2009, 07:02 PM']I saw a bass player in a band doing it the other week, every thirty seconds or during every number he would lick his plucking fingers, it got so i couldn't my eyes off him, pluck, lick pluck. don't know what it did to the strings. then i read in Mag today John Deacon did it to.[/quote]

Having kinda followed Mr Deacon's career from when I was ickle, interesting the only time I ever remember seeing him lick his fingers whilst playing was at the Freddie Mercury Tribute concert. I'm not aware of any other footage he had done that. I would have guessed that it was to clean sweat off his fingers? I can't stand playing with sweaty mits.. but then, bone dry and brand new strings can feel a bit impeding too.