Why become a member? ×

Precision with Tbird pickup(s)

nash

Hey nash 

I did this very thing and it’s a great option for a p bass. Here’s demo I made...

What did I like and what didn’t I like...

As you can tell from the demo I used a tone styler in mine and frankly I don’t think it would have been as good a mod without it. For me the only issue was it didn’t sound like a p bass but then again that was the point but the TS10 does some neat tricks to add back in some p bass like mids if you want or need them...  

The PBird stood out for the unique quality it has in its tone and while I wasn’t ripping things up in a metal trio the versatility of the pick up and the tone styler (it can do balls out and it can do dub with a mid setting which will just work for you once you find the right position) meant I used this bass on a host of gigs and could always find a sound which worked from country to rock. I’ve not tried to describe the sound as the demo will take care of that I hope. 

Edited by krispn
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

IMG_20200506_103537.thumb.jpg.b693ebbe96f6eb1676c3a96201d7e576.jpg

Here's mine, from a Japanese brand. Has the same old mahogany as my 1962 EB-0. It's wired in series but i'll do a push-pull parallel mod, and the Tonestyler sounds pretty interesting on these tbird pickups too ! Would their duo model work with the pickups wired in series ?

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Hooch said:

Here's mine, from a Japanese brand. Has the same old mahogany as my 1962 EB-0. It's wired in series but i'll do a push-pull parallel mod, and the Tonestyler sounds pretty interesting on these tbird pickups too ! Would their duo model work with the pickups wired in series ?

It might well do. Whatever their jazz type wiring thing should work 

1 hour ago, Hooch said:

The Duo model has a Switch Neck/Series/parallel/bridge switch

I have it in my Jazzenbackus - Jazz routed for Rickenbacker pick ups

Their pre-wired system for jazz looks nice indeed, looks like i'd have to make a custom pickguard for the switch, with no further mod on the body... Pretty interesting, thank you !

Sorry derailing the thread, i want to mod the bass precisely to be able to play the neck only, and the Tonestyler looks like a great add some bark to the tbird lows. Very tempting.

43 minutes ago, Hooch said:

Their pre-wired system for jazz looks nice indeed, looks like i'd have to make a custom pickguard for the switch, with no further mod on the body... Pretty interesting, thank you !

Sorry derailing the thread, i want to mod the bass precisely to be able to play the neck only, and the Tonestyler looks like a great add some bark to the tbird lows. Very tempting.

Honestly it’s very very good indeed and super simple to do the final wiring, or in fact all the wiring.

Is your cavity under the pickguard continuous with the neck pick up?

If so you would probably have enough room to make a slit in one like you have.

Of course you would either have 1 redundant knob (as your Jack is in the body) or put the jack in the 3rd slot and leave the body hole redundant, or even convert to have a stereo output as well and combine the above?!

May be worth getting a crap cheap pickguard to butcher and try before getting a proper one

I'm looking to find affordable 5 string pickups as I want to do something similar to a Jaguar bass. At the moment one 5 string T'bird pickup appears to cost more than the whole bass, so this idea might not take flight :(

Since I posted that last bit I've had a reply from Josh Parkin Guitars who could make me a set for £270. Just need to buy a cheap Jaguar or similar shaped bass now.

Edited by 6feet7

@Cuzzie : the Tonestyler kit seems having a concentric pot, another one dedicated to the capacitors, plus the switch. It may be tight in there but starting with 3 pots, i guess/hope it won't need further routings with a custom pickguard.

Evidently in a jazz cavity its more linear in its rout, but the cavity itself should probably be wide enough, its just the curve that may require some creative knob placement - its almost as if an arrangement/pick guard like the Stingray 5 or HH basses would be required

On 06/05/2020 at 15:24, Happy Jack said:

46774574871_b4916c3a4a_k.thumb.jpg.2e459edf9096738d056a9c84a43c6653.jpg

46721862052_50cadcc5e9_k.thumb.jpg.238ddb46662e716a00ab896f41b0844a.jpg

Ooooooof! 5 string....mutter....mutter......

I went to price one up. Now I am sad.

Edited by owen
because he he had new info.

1 hour ago, grenadillabama said:

If I put a Thunderbird pickup closer to the bridge, leave the Precision pickup in, and wire them in parallel ... would the Tbird pickup be there but no louder ? I would want some raunchy mids added to the P sound.

Have a listen to the Yamaha LTD3 attitude Billy Sheehan bass

That should give you some clue

On 06/05/2020 at 16:53, grenadillabama said:

If I put a Thunderbird pickup closer to the bridge, leave the Precision pickup in, and wire them in parallel ... would the Tbird pickup be there but no louder ? I would want some raunchy mids added to the P sound.

On 06/05/2020 at 18:01, Cuzzie said:

Have a listen to the Yamaha LTD3 attitude Billy Sheehan bass

That should give you some clue

Just realised I completely misread your post as the Billy bass has it at the neck not the bridge- silly me.

The answer would be yes IMO as if I take my jazz as an example I routed for Rickenbacker pick ups  so it moved closer to the bridge, it is very Ballsy indeed

• 1 month later...