Why become a member? ×

Rich Tone Music

pst62

Looks like they shouldn’t have taken them in or moved them on, but doesn’t look like they were trying to misrepresent them - pretty much anyone buying guitars would know you don’t get a Gibson SG for under £300. Only possible problem is if the buyer then moves it in as a genuine item, at that point are there liability issues?

Difficult one - and seems like the boss will sort.

I think I’ve interacted with the guy in this video on Facebook over a bass I had with a limelight neck on it.

He went round and round, I blocked him and sold the bass.

I completely get his point. I’m just not sure what he gets from policing the world of second hand sales on Facebook and eBay.

Anyhow. A big retailer should know better - but if sorted I see it of a “hey did you spot this, it’s wrong” ‘no I didn’t and I’ll sort it’

Bit of a non story in the end.

• Like 6

The only one remotely passable was the SG.

I started with a bit of empathy for the guy in the video.

The more I’ve thought about it...I really feel he’s a busybody. 

Anyhow, rich tone had me as a customer once, if their customer service doesn’t put people off, I doubt a few shonky used guitars will.

10 hours ago, Machines said:

Watched bits of video. Seemed like the dude 'reporting' is a bit of a busy body. 

To be fair, the guy who posted the video was/is also known as The China Guitar Sceptic and has a long history on You Tube buying Chibsons, Chickenbakers etc. and explaining every reason why you should just buy original product.

The whole headstock decal issue is a major bugbear of mine (along with sellers quoting their precious bass is a 'lawsuit' model).  I can understand why people do it, the allusion that an ugly-duckling cheaper/unbranded bass/guitar becomes a beautiful swan, but the traffic is almost exclusively one way; you never see anyone reshaping the headstock of their Lakland 44-64 and putting a Fender decal on it do you?

• Like 3

The owner (seems genuine) didn't know what his store manager was buying into his shop. Obviously there was no serious "don'ts" put in place from the off. As far as I can tell RTM only has one shop, if I was the owner I'd be keeping close tabs on everything that came through the door that wasn't from official outlets. Could anyone envisage this going on at Andertons, GAK or Sweetwater? No, me neither.

I knew a music shop when I was growing up where whenever you walked in the owner was screwing together all kinds of bits of guitar, a Squier neck on a Tanglewood body etc but to be fair he labelled them as such when he hung them on the wall. Fair enough I thought until I took an acoustic I'd bought from him to another shop to be serviced and got told the headstock had snapped off at some point. I actually didn't realise it but I knew the guy who did all the repairs for the shop and I got both barrels about even questioning it "should have known from the price" etc. Which is bullstuff. I went to the shop owner and he was a real d!ck about it too. Seems like he was buying up damaged stock and doing whatever he could to turn out a profit, not always to the knowledge of the customer. I do wonder how many Tanglesquiers were knocking about that town twenty years ago! 

2 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

To be fair, the guy who posted the video was/is also known as The China Guitar Sceptic and has a long history on You Tube buying Chibsons, Chickenbakers etc. and explaining every reason why you should just buy original product.

I feel like he is doing such to get YouTube followers and create 'scandal'. In doing so, he is also sustaining the supply and demand principle that maintains their very existence. 

I would happily buy a 'copy' if the quality is there and the price is suitably lower. Yes that may have broken 'copyright law', but i'm trying to think of a big manufacturer that hasn't.

Edited by Machines
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, uk_lefty said:

I knew a music shop when I was growing up where whenever you walked in the owner was screwing together all kinds of bits of guitar, a Squier neck on a Tanglewood body etc

Mark Philips Music?  Was that the place?

🙄

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I saw this on Youtube and i think it was slightly over the top,saying a Gibson dealer was selling fake Gibsons

when in reality they were never advertising them as Gibson guitars,i suspect they get alot of guitars traded in

Its the people who try to pass them off as the real deal that need to brought to task.

• Like 6

He’s hardly Donal MacIntyre, but presumably thinks he is some kind of investigative journalist.
Give some people a camera and WiFi 🙄

Just get in touch with the company, and if they don’t sort it, then go to the press. Unless your need to be “looked at” outweighs your moral outrage of course. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2