Why become a member? ×

Atelier Z M245 *SOLD*
£1350
Margate

jay-syncro

Atelier Z M245, hand made in Tokyo.

I've owned a few Atelier Z basses in the past, a Beta, Beta Deluxe but none of them compare to this. The M245 is their top of the range instrument and it is an absolute stunner. IMO It combines everything good about a 70's Fender (i.e. Ash, blocks, binding, girthy sound) but without the downsides (i.e.ridiculous weight, terrible build quality!). It comes complete with the Bartolini XTCT preamp that features dual stacked pickup volume controls, vintage tone control, bass and treble controls with a mid sweep in the control cavity. Combined with Atelier Z's own single coil pickups it sounds immense. Despite it's 70's vibe and chunky hardware it weighs just 8.6lbs! It comes complete with the nice Atelier Z gig bag shown. 

It has a couple of small lacquer dings and some discolouration patches but on the whole it's in great condition. 

Specs: 

Scale 34"
Neck Maple1P
Fingerboard Maple20F
Body Ash2P
Tuningkey GOTOH GB-30
Bridge ATELIER Z BB419
Pickups ATELIER Z JBZ-4
Preamp Bartolini XTCT+Spectrum boost
Controls 2Vol.Treble,Bass/sw(Active ON/OFF)
Color N
Price ¥275,000(without tax)

IMG_20200505_154501.jpg

IMG_20200505_154337.jpg

IMG_20200505_154636.jpg

IMG_20200505_154654.jpg

IMG_20200505_154548.jpg

IMG_20200505_154424.jpg

IMG_20200505_154705.jpg

IMG_20200505_154352.jpg

IMG_20200505_154800.jpg

IMG_20200505_155014.jpg

IMG_20200505_154924.jpg

Edited by jay-syncro
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

That’s so cool - here’s a genuine query I’ve often been puzzled by. 

The “Atelier Z” logo on the pickguard, is it a sticker you can remove?

Yes mate, it's just a sticker. I quite like it but understand why some people might prefer the clean look. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, jay-syncro said:

Yes mate, it's just a sticker. I quite like it but understand why some people might prefer the clean look. 

A beauty either way - look very slick. Also saw Jerry Barnes with Chic last summer - his model (I think based upon this) sounded epic.

Very nice bass - good price too!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

A beauty either way - look very slick. Also saw Jerry Barnes with Chic last summer - his model (I think based upon this) sounded epic.

Very nice bass - good price too!

Absolutely love this too - I also saw JB testing his to destruction in Manchester last summer

• Like 1

I also saw Chic at a festival a few years back. I remember thinking that the sound engineer must have been a bass player, JB's Atelier Z was the star of the mix!

Thinking about it, I've only ever seen him play that one bass. If only I had such dedication 😬

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, bassfan said:

That’s very nice.  Aside from the pick guard and price what’s the difference between this and the JB sig?  I’ve looked and drooled over the jb many times! 

Pickguard...price 😂

Bridge on jb is old school.

inlays are abalone and not pearl

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, bassfan said:

That’s very nice.  Aside from the pick guard and price what’s the difference between this and the JB sig?  I’ve looked and drooled over the jb many times! 

About a grand I think! 

😁

I think the sig model has abalone blocks and a standard Fender style bridge rather than the high mass Atelier Z number. 

Edit: Andy beat me to it

Edited by jay-syncro
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, bassfan said:

Awww man. Now I have sadowsky and atelier GAS. 

Ha! Had a go on one of these in Tokyo having just walked out of another shop with a Sadowsky. How stupid was that?!! 😂

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, jay-syncro said:

About a grand I think! 

😁

I think the sig model has abalone blocks and a standard Fender style bridge rather than the high mass Atelier Z number. 

Edit: Andy beat me to it

I would add: different preamp (AZ EQ-M vs Bart XTCT) and pickups placement, '70s on JB and '60s in general for all other AZ basses. Having said that, they can still sound very Marcus.

Edited by Apothem
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Apothem said:

I would add: different preamp (AZ EQ-M vs Bart XTCT) and pickups placement, '70s on JB and '60s in general for all other AZ basses. Having said that, they can still sound very Marcus.

Ah yes, good spot 👍🏻

2 hours ago, jay-syncro said:

They look amazing, did the humbucker do a convincing Musicman impression? 

Yes! Slightly bassy, but pretty much there if you cut the bass a bit. Maybe add a bit of mid. But the zingy-ness of it is pretty much nailed.

• Like 1