Why become a member? ×

Bacchus bass anyone ?

Johnteckel

1 hour ago, haruki said:

Yes Ive got an older that I got s/h on here.  It looks a bit like this https://bacchus-guitar.com/node/3421  but with Bartolini pickups. I've got it strung with TI flats and use in either nig band/jazz trio and odd musical. 

I love it - its my goto 4 string - build quality is great and the feel is just spot on for me.

Ok,, seems like they're using their own PU nowaday...  Where did you get yours ?

31 minutes ago, Johnteckel said:

Ok,, seems like they're using their own PU nowaday...  Where did you get yours ?

I bought it off somebody on basschat a few years back - forget who - I think he may have been in Ireland. but not sure where he got it from

I owned a Bacchus P bass for a while.  Great bass, dimensionally slightly smaller that a Fender and much lighter.  Very well made indeed and is one of the MIJ Woodline Series.

662737399_BacchusPrecision09.thumb.jpg.5a46065ba06df14427409af7caa931d9.jpg (this was

• Like 3

I checked their website and had a look at some in detail.

If this is the level of their tops, then they need to rethink .  I've seen better 2 piece matching on basses half the price

bacchus.jpg

2 hours ago, fleabag said:

I checked their website and had a look at some in detail.

If this is the level of their tops, then they need to rethink .  I've seen better 2 piece matching on basses half the price

bacchus.jpg

yeah that's odd...they're supposed to be 100% handmade. May be tru when you look at this img07_204.jpg.2441888d87e632857e662ca02ee11cb1.jpg

1 hour ago, Johnteckel said:

For the record i had a little tchat with a guy from https://japanguitar-handmade.com/fr/ , he said free shipping for the UK, basses are both in their french stock or japanese stock. Shipping from France is about 3 days, japan 15 to 30 days. Any one had any experience with those peoples ? This burled top is quiet lovely.

Be careful with the 'free shipping' bit because there's always duty to pay. In the past I have a feeling Japan Direct have undervalued items in order to avoid taxes which is risky at best.

I've had two Bacchus basses that I imported myself from Japan. With wonderful. The Jazz had no forearm cutaway so was a bit uncomfortable to play seated but the TwentyFour I had next was just sublime in every way. It had the 'Smith' sound in spades and was just great to play. I sold both when I rationalised my collection down to four strings, then one four string.

I have some recordings made with both basses I'll dig out.

Cheers

ped

P7010684p.JPG

P7080692.JPG

• Like 1

Another Bacchus fan here. Actually, Ead’s former Woodline P Classic above started life with me, sold very reluctantly. I have a 24 and a 04 Standard 5. I love them both. The 24 is scaled down body, light and really comfortable. Their pickups, particularly the ones with the Handmade logo, are excellent. I have a Stingray type I’m in the middle of restoring too, plus some nice 6 strings. I love them all. I got most of mine second hand from Japan, but bought the P and the LP new. Keep an eye on Ishibashi u-box, sometimes there are deals there which negate the shipping and import duty woe.

74D46C7E-16F5-4EBF-B30B-D59158C20B10.jpeg

6B83F6A9-84F7-45C7-968F-CEC912075B7F.jpeg

B4A90BEF-C820-4898-AAE0-69B794F7FBA7.jpeg

0C54FD82-0150-4597-9C36-D14F89AA27FF.jpeg

Edited by Doctor J
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Doctor J said:

Another Bacchus fan here. Actually, Ead’s former Woodline P Classic above started life with me, sold very reluctantly. I have a 24 and a 04 Standard 5. I love them both. The 24 is scaled down body, light and really comfortable. Their pickups, particularly the ones with the Handmade logo, are excellent. I have a Stingray type I’m in the middle of restoring too, plus some nice 6 strings. I love them all. I got most of mine second hand from Japan, but bought the P and the LP new. Keep an eye on Ishibashi u-box, sometimes there are deals there which negate the shipping and import duty woe.

74D46C7E-16F5-4EBF-B30B-D59158C20B10.jpeg

6B83F6A9-84F7-45C7-968F-CEC912075B7F.jpeg

B4A90BEF-C820-4898-AAE0-69B794F7FBA7.jpeg

0C54FD82-0150-4597-9C36-D14F89AA27FF.jpeg

Holy mackerel,  this 5 strings ! Is that 6 a "Duke" model? Thanx very much for your feedback about size/PU.

This is the Ray-type. I can’t remember the model name... Anyway, it has been abused, note the bbot bridge atrocity, but it sounds and plays like a total beast and I am in the process of restoring it. I’m gonna fix it real good 😁

5FBAE80A-8D8B-4CA3-8ECE-A6FB709BF83C.thumb.jpeg.965ee396da90e9f5d667eec2e43b54dc.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Doctor J said:

This is the Ray-type. I can’t remember the model name... Anyway, it has been abused, note the bbot bridge atrocity, but it sounds and plays like a total beast and I am in the process of restoring it. I’m gonna fix it real good 😁

5FBAE80A-8D8B-4CA3-8ECE-A6FB709BF83C.thumb.jpeg.965ee396da90e9f5d667eec2e43b54dc.jpeg

the one who did that bridge thing should be boiled.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Doctor J said:

Love that! (Except the bridge thing) almost exactly like the Joe Dart signature model if you're a fan of Vulfpeck etc. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Johnteckel said:

the one who did that bridge thing should be boiled.

Tough but fair, I reckon 😂

I was able to source a correct replacement part from Deviser. The order of the universe will be restored.