Why become a member? ×

Short Scale v Long Scale

gypsyjazzer

Interesting read - I seem to be noticing far more short scale basses on the market than I used to.

As someone who's never even played a short scale, let alone owned one, what would be the main driver to buy one for a player?

Is it mainly a 'comfort' decision rather than a 'tonal sound' one?

I'm curious, I think I'd like to experiment with one, but I've no doubt it for me would be a fad and I'd more than likely have it relisted on here shortly after.  

7 minutes ago, lou24d53 said:

Interesting read - I seem to be noticing far more short scale basses on the market than I used to.

As someone who's never even played a short scale, let alone owned one, what would be the main driver to buy one for a player?

I'm curious, I think I'd like to experiment with one, but I've no doubt it for me would be a fad and I'd more than likely have it relisted on here shortly after.  

I play short and long scale basses. I've got tiny hands so I can play faster and more comfortably on short scales. I only really continue with long scale because I have some beautiful basses and I can't bear to let them go. I only really play continue to play a Ric in Stray because the original bass player used one and the rest of the band, crew and fans kind of expect it! The Ric does have a slightly shorter scale than a Fender mind!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lou24d53 said:

I've always had a preference for the shorter scale length.  Back in the day it was the early Gibsons rather than Fenders that floated my boat - probably because two of my heroes played them (Jack Bruce and Andy Fraser).  I moved on to Fenders in the '80s but then back to s-s Gibsons.  Nowadays there's a huge choice of s-s basses and I wouldn't play anything else.  More comfortable to wear and play and I prefer the subtle difference in sound that comes from the different s-s overtones.  The only word of caution I usually add is that, if you're a P-bass worshipper, don't expect any s-s bass to give you exactly that (although I can get close enough with some of mine).

• Like 2

I prefer playing short scales, and I've owned probably a dozen of them of varying quality over the last 30 years, mostly Fender, Squier or Fender-ish, but for recording I'll generally opt for a long scale. I wouldn't rule out owning another S-S but I'm not sure what it would be. Colin Moulding's modded Epiphone Newport always looked good but I think they're a good way out of my flimsy price range :(

unnamed-2.jpg.8ed05632c0a7c4095082b41f61fadbad.jpg

• Like 1